Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you get your wool? >

Where do you get your wool?

Where do you get your wool?

Old 12-03-2013, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by iwillquilt View Post
I would like to make the "Love Blooms" quilt in Quilters newsletter. But I don't know where to purchace wool for making the applique. I've checked some of the usual online fabric places and can't find wool fabric. Our local lqs has some. But the colors seem limited and I don't want a bland quilt. Do you ladies and gents have any suggestions where to look?
Maybe do a search on hand dyed wool. I did a quick search and it looks like there are some nice colors on Etsy.
http://www.etsy.com/search?q=hand+dyed+wool&page=2
Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 PM

Erica's is where I get mine, and she has an on-line shop.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:16 PM

I love the Salvation Army thrift store ....I find wonderful wool clothing that I felt. Prices are great and it is so much fun. Do it like Auntpiggylpn says...I do it that was, too! I purchased some from a store before and it was really expensive!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
Erica's is where I get mine, and she has an on-line shop.
That's where I bought mine too-she has a nice selection. I haven't used it yet though.

I don't shop there online much (even though the shop is over an hour away) but the website is http://www.ericas.com
Old 12-04-2013, 08:10 AM

Thanks to everyone! So many new ideas to try. I will have to visit my second hand stores again and see with new eyes. And I will be checking out the online sites suggested by everyone as well as my local shop. They may have some newer colors in since I last looked. The quilt kit is available as a BOM but I just don't feel I can fit this in to my budget at this time. Again Thank you.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

When I was into rug hooking some years ago I happened upon a rack of wool box pleated skirts at Goodwill. They were leftovers from a clothing factory, never worn. Every solid color of wool and plaids. I bought one skirt of every color and promptly cut them into 1/4" strips. I wish I had known I would have been coveting larger sizes of wool later in my life. LOL
Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 AM

Wool is costly. I will have to decide if I can just budget for the BOM or do it in other fabrics. The flannel and wool really was speaking to me. But I think my pocket book will be crying if I go that way. Thanks everyone. If I ever get it done I will post. And I will be looking at the second hand shops for wool for future projects. I love this board.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:56 PM

I should correct myself as well. The quilt I referred to "Love Blooms Here" is in the new Quilt Maker magazine. Not Quilters Newsletter as I stated before.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

Primitive Gatherings; Wool Central; The Cotton Patch Quilt Shoppe; The Wooly Lady; Sue Spargo; I often purchase my wools in thrift shops or at yard sales- but I have on occasion purchased wools from each of these places- there are many others- I just can not think of any more names right now.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:14 PM

I found great assortments on Etsy - beautiful colors and great bundles at a savings. My LQS' prices on wool are so incredibly high that I don't buy it there.