Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you head first when... >

Where do you head first when...

Where do you head first when...

Old 05-05-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Originally Posted by amma
LMBO it is batiks for me too!!! Then I go aisle by aisle of the fabrics, then patterns and notions :D:D:D
You are still a lot more methodical than I am :-). Once I have thoroughly inspected the batiks, I notice the notions... Ooooh look at that shop sample...is that a new line of... Oooo that's a great price on fat qua....awesome I did't know she/he had a new book out.. Ooo...oooo...
Well, you get the idea. ;-)
have you been shopping with me???
Old 05-05-2010, 04:31 PM

...you go into a LQS or any fabric store? Notions, fabrics? If fabrics, which ones? No matter how much fabric in the shop I always seem to gravitate first to the batiks?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Actually, I look around for "samples" of quilts or items made from the fabrics in the store. Then if I see anything I like (or love), I navigate toward those fabrics.

I've never bought batiks. I know, I live a sheltered life.

:roll: Any tips?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I usually just stop right inside the door and my eyes blur and tear up...I'm sooo happy I can't see much of anything for a few minutes, then something will call my name and I drift in that direction stroking bolts as I go...I wander around dragging bolts behind me and putting a pile on the cutting table, then off I go again....I'm not too organized.... :roll:
Old 05-05-2010, 04:38 PM

I too, seem to head to the Batiks first, like others here. But then I check out the Oriental prints, since those are a favorite to me also. My LQS just moved everything around, so fabric is not where it used to be, just like they do in a grocery store occasionally. Then you have to hunt for the thing you want, and usually discover something else to buy along the way. The sale area is next after I've made my way over to that corner. By this time, I've made a circle in the shop and passed by the notions, patterns, books and many other types of fabric. They now have the thread right by the checkout area, so that's last to see.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:12 PM

For me it's the remnants first. Cuz they are always a good deal. Then the sale aisle. Then if there is something I really need. I rarely just wander all the aisles as I know I can't afford to pay the full prices. I live on disability and my husband lives on SSI so we have to be careful.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:27 PM

:lol: I start at one side and wonder around the store, aisle by aisle. Now about that stroller with child who is curious. There will come a day when you will wish for that stroller back. Let the child look with you, feel it, teach him/her colors, get my drift. Amazing what children can learn. When my children were small, we couldn't afford a stroller. So, if I did have to take my children with me, I didn't acknowledge that they were mine until I got ready to leave the store. LOL. You do know better than that. My son got real good at rearranging the thread. Oh, the good old days. Silvia
Old 05-05-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by dljennings
Originally Posted by amma
LMBO it is batiks for me too!!! Then I go aisle by aisle of the fabrics, then patterns and notions :D:D:D
You are still a lot more methodical than I am :-). Once I have thoroughly inspected the batiks, I notice the notions... Ooooh look at that shop sample...is that a new line of... Oooo that's a great price on fat qua....awesome I did't know she/he had a new book out.. Ooo...oooo...
Well, you get the idea. ;-)
have you been shopping with me???
Possibly...in spirit
8-)
Old 05-05-2010, 07:55 PM

sale and then if i have a coupon, notions.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:11 PM

For me, it's the clearance room.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:12 AM

I tend to stand just inside the door of my fave lqs, if it's not crowded or too busy, and just gaze around at the fabrics and hanging quilted things. Then I go right to the children's fabrics and see what's new, then on around the shop taking in all the new fabrics and new quilts/patterns. I can't get out of there for less than $50 either, but that's okay I come home with lots of nice fabrics to pet!