Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Where do you purchase fabric? (Baby Quilt)

Hi everyone! I am planning on making a quilt for my unborn baby. I don't know what I am having yet, and want to make a gender neutral baby quilt so I can bring it to the hospital with me. I've looked at my (tiny) Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Walmart, etc, and can't seem to find anything nice. I need several, preferably coordinating, fabrics.

Where do you purchase fabric? Do you reconmend places online? I am ready to beg borrow or steal pretty pinks, purples, greens, blues, yellows... really. Why is this so difficult? I would LIKE things with a nursury print, or atleast one print I can match colors to, and can't seem to find things that are not garrish or over the top boy or girl.

Any ideas? I am not due until May 5th, so I have time.. but I work SLOW!

THANKS for any help or suggestions!

Here is the quilt pattern I am going to make... As much as I do not like the ".about" websites, I love finding pretty free patterns.
    Attached Images Attached Images

www.connectingthreads.com

Great price and they coordinate!

Congrats on expecting. I'm expecting twin boys. When I first started looking for fabric I found this site: http://www.nurseryfabrics.com

If you're looking for bright colored flannels, we're doing a swap of 5" charms this December. I have some lighter ones but they are not quilt shop quality. I highly recommend finding a good quilt shop for flannels or they will ball up with just a couple washes.

If you're looking for quilter's cottons, maybe you could list a private swap.

Keepsake quilting is a great site/catalog. I pour over the catalog making want lists but havent' had a chance to order yet. http://www.keepsakequilting.com/

Hancocks of Paducah is another site I love to drool over
    http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/

Congratulations Away2me on the twins!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I surf the internet on my phone, so as soon as I get to a real computer I will check out those websites.

I would love to set up a swap, but that would mean I have a stash to swap! I am awfully new at this, and just don't have the reserves. Give me time!

Thanks again!

I know you said you had been to Hobby Lobby, but I found some Winnie the Pooh coordinates there earlier in the year that were gender neutral. I made a baby quilt in yellow/green tones with this fabric. Perhaps you could check with them again.

Here is what it looked like

[IMG]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o...uilts/Lacy.jpg[/IMG]

I love connecting threads too. And welcome from Illinois!

Have you considered 1930's reproductions? Although not specifically baby quilt material, many prints are suitable and come in very pretty shades.
    I tend to shop at my local quilt store, but many on-line sites are nice too.

I get my fabric from http://www.bearpawquilting.com/. They usually have a great selection. And I also go to my LQS.

Lynne

www.auntbeassewingbasket.com

I've gotten really nice fabric at pretty good prices and the service is unbelievable..the last order was here 4 days later!!

If money is a little tight (who's isn't??) cruise some of the shops on the www.fabshophop.com site and look for sales. Its fun ..grab a cup of tea and put your feet up!!

Congratulations and best of luck!!

Mary

Welcome from Arizona! I find that there are some pretty good pieces of fabric on ebay. I do not spend much cause I am on a budget. Most of what I have purchased though have been very good. I would recomend using paypal so you are protected but this will all have to be after you get that computer. I am a new quilter and I am in love with all fabric so I go on ebay and drool LOL Hope this helps. CONGRATUATIONS! in the little one. Email me any time. MissTami :roll:

Where did you find the free pattern for the baby quilt.
    thanks, love it.
    wisconsin

The pattern is from quilting.about.com, click "baby quilts" and it is called something pink. I can look up the exact name later. The website also provided measurements and directions for the quilt. That website has lots of freebies! I typically don't like .about websites, but was rather surprised how nice it was. Enjoy!

Thank you. It is a great choice. How nice of you to share it with us.
    Have fun with that new baby.

Welcome from Washington , wisconsin!

Love the puppies.

Guess what! My mom surprised me with 8 different baby print flannels in neutral colors that match a panel. Very cute, and she got them at a quilt store so I hope they are good quality. I had been looking at all the recommended websites and had about 6 different types of fabric picked out..I will have to use those for my next project. Thanks for all the help!!

I forgot to mention that those websites are a great resource, thanks!

We go to a place called Mama's Log House. They are only open two days a week, and I found that they do a land office business online. Give them a try. I think they have beautiful fabric. I have bought a lot there.

Thought maybe you would like to see that quilt when it is done...very cool pattern!!

Picture with binding on!!!