Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you sandwich "big" quilts

Blog Entries
    Check with your local library. There is often a "community" type room with long folding tables. I put about three tables together for a queen or king size and I'm set! More fun to do with a friend. Might not be possible with basting spray though!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterken
    Get a 4' x 8' piece of MDF or plywood, have it cut into 2 pieces 4' square and add a piano hinge so you have a large folding board or table top. I have even seen them in 3 pieces. This folding table top can be laid over your kitchen table and stored when not in use. Really saves your back...
    That's a great idea! :thumbup:

I use my driveway, on an inexpensive blue tarp......

What is MDF?? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Our library has a meeting room -they let us use the tables there as long as the room isn't booked for an event. We just have to call in and ask and they tell if the room will be empty. Hope you can find a place to baste.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy11442
    What is MDF?? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
    MDF-Medium Density Fiberboard, Not a dumb question!!

If I remember SILs explanation, MDF is tha composite stuff that's like plywood only cheaper (and not as smooth).

I use a ping pong table. Bought especially for my quilts. Occassionally it has been too small for some of my biggest quilts, but then I just pin it in 2 sections. Beats crawling over the floor - besides, I dont think I would be able to get up!

I use 4 2x4s, lay them out like a picture frame, hold the overlapped corners together with C-clamps (screw types). To keep them square (90 degree angles) line them up with the floor tiles in my kitchen. Then I raise them at an angle to the wall because most walls are 8ft. tall. It is a little cumbersome, but I can do it alone, but with help it is easier. The quilt layers get stretched separately and fastened with push pins or safety pins into the backing. 2x4s come in different lengths from 8 ft to 'do it in the garage'. Then pin or baste away.

MDF is much smoother than plywood unless you get furniture grade and that is way too expensive.

This is a good topic! I've used my floor, but it kills my back...I love the wall suggestion and I will be trying that in the future!!

Banned
    I use any table. center and Drape the backing, batting and top over the table. Smooth out and bast the area on the top of the table. Grab one side and pull to expose another area of the quilt. do this at top and bottom and then each side. The draping on the sides and pulling helps to keep it smooth. Can do a kind size on a card table.

you can also take your quilt to a longarmer and have it basted-very small fee for this-I do that a lot for the hand quilters...

Blog Entries
    When I took classes from Harriet Hargrave she taught us a way to lay out the quilt for basting without a large table. In fact works better to not have a large table (easier on your back). Find the center of all sides of the quilt (and backing and batting too) and put a pin in those places or iron to create fold lines. Then find the centers of all 4 sides of your table and tape a toothpick in those places. You can then place the centers of your quilts (backing first then batting) on the table by matching up your pins or fold lines with the toothpicks. Toothpicks are used because you can feel them under the quilt and you won't have to lift up your quilt to see where the centers of the table are. The quilt and batting will hang over the edges of the table helping keep the quilt top flat. You will start this same process with the quilt backing centered then clamped down all the way around, then the batting then finally the quilt top. Once you have all this area basted you can undo the clamps and move the quilt from side to side to finish up the basting. Harriet's book "Heirloom Machine Quilting" is an incredible reference. Money well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryssa
    So where do you work on bigger quilts? The only answer I could come up with is the floor, which I will do if there's nothing better.

As a young quilter, I used the floor to baste, but that was many years ago. I could get down to baste but if I did that now, I can't get back up again!

Sooooooooo, when I was about 50, I started going to the library or the quilt shop. They were happy to let me baste. In fact, the librarian was so interested that she asked me to come on saturday when there would be a lot of people there, and she pulled quilt books and put them on the table next to me. Smart cookie, that librarian.

Now I baste on my longarm. If you have a friend with a midarm or longarm, bribe her to let you baste with her machine!

Great tip! I usually use the floor. I have by wonderful hubby get right on that! :P

I use the tables in our town hall, but the library has a room available too.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    I use any table. center and Drape the backing, batting and top over the table. Smooth out and bast the area on the top of the table. Grab one side and pull to expose another area of the quilt. do this at top and bottom and then each side. The draping on the sides and pulling helps to keep it smooth. Can do a kind size on a card table.
    I do this on my dining room table. Hubby found me a LARGE piece of cardboard to put on the table first so I won't scratch the table with my pins. I clamp the quilt to the cardboard and pin the top in sections. The cardboard folds up into thirds and I store it between the wall and the hutch for future use.

I use the floor for really big quilts or the tables at a meeting hall. I use a sheet of foam-board insulation that I bought at Lowe's for smaller projects and clothing construction patterns. I put this on my dining room table and can put push pins into it. I also store it leaning against my sewing room wall and when covered by a flannel backed table cloth (flannel site out), it becomes a design wall.

Beautiful Quilt! :thumbup:

I use the concrete floor in my photography studio. Because the concrete is hard on the knees, I use knee pads! I also use them when I clean my floors. I love the idea early about the driveway with a big tarp. That is really nifty, just remember the knee pads!

I had planned to do it on my kitchen floor, but since I am having it machine quilted, my quilter told me not to sandwich as she would just have to take it apart anyway to feed it into her machine....! I was so relieved as crawling around on the floor did not seem like something my poor old back could manage. If there is an extra charge for this, I would gladly pay it.

Blog Entries
    I haven't made any big quilts yet. But when I do, I have a ping pong table just waiting. I read this idea on this forum!

I have had knee replacement and can't do floor crawling anymore!! Soooooo, if I'm in AZ we have a big sewing room with big tables that I can push together. If in MI, I have to punt!! Was glad to hear about the wall trick. Haven't tried that. Thanks

Blog Entries
    On top of the pool table, just need to get it all done before the game starts!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast