Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you start with meandering FMQ? >

Where do you start with meandering FMQ?

Where do you start with meandering FMQ?

Old 08-04-2023, 10:43 AM

Default Where do you start with meandering FMQ?

I've been trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my latest project - it's all pin basted and ready to go and I just don't want to do SID (my standard go-to). I'm thinking I'd like to try an allover large-scale meander but I have a couple of questions for you experts out there:

1) When I SID, I generally start with one of the middle lines and work my way outwards to both sides, then turn the quilt 90 degrees and repeat. Where do you start when meandering? The middle of the quilt? A corner?

2) Do you try to keep a continuous line going across the entire quilt top or do you do it in sections? I'm actually thinking of trying to do it in vertical strip sections (how the quilt top was pieced) to try to keep my meandering somewhat in control, but have not committed to this yet.

Thanks for your input and insights!
Old 08-04-2023, 01:57 PM

I quilt on a sit-down HQ Sweet Sixteen. Since my major challenge is managing the weight of the quilt, I quilt in quadrants, starting from the center, and always working in the lower right quadrant, having most of the weight of the quilt resting on a table over to my left, and up above the quilting area. So I start at the center and kind of create a rough diagonal area of quilting that expands as I get to the outside edges. I then rotate the quilt so I am once again working in the lower right quadrant, starting at the center. This wouldn't do for people doing more formal quilting, but it works for my casual style.
Old 08-04-2023, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

I do it on a Brother PQ1500 and I start meandering in the upper left hand corner. This has worked out for me. I have my quilt supported by a table on the left and an ironing board level with the table in the back so things move around pretty easily.
Old 08-04-2023, 02:22 PM

Thanks Joe'smom and Stitchnripper - it seems the key thing is that I need to get another table set up to help me manage the rest of the quilt while I meander. This is a great tip! When doing SID I just roll everything up so it's not really an issue. I also have a Brother PQ1500 but I sew on our dining room table so I might need to reconfigure my sewing space first if this strategy is going to work for me. At least I have a starting point now - much appreciated!
Old 08-04-2023, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
Thanks Joe'smom and Stitchnripper - it seems the key thing is that I need to get another table set up to help me manage the rest of the quilt while I meander. This is a great tip! When doing SID I just roll everything up so it's not really an issue. I also have a Brother PQ1500 but I sew on our dining room table so I might need to reconfigure my sewing space first if this strategy is going to work for me. At least I have a starting point now - much appreciated!
I think you can make it work on the dining room table - the quilt will be supported. You can try it with or without the extension table that comes with it and see which works better for you
Old 08-04-2023, 03:34 PM

yes, look up wood grain too. easy to do and covers long areas easily.
https://lorikennedyquilts.com/woodgr...uilt-tutorial/

Last edited by Quiltwoman44; 08-04-2023 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2023, 03:51 PM

i try to start my meander on an edge or corner, just so I don't have a loose "dead end" hanging out in the middle of the quilt. however, if you do choose to start in the middle, I would suggest starting with a kind of teardrop shape just to close off the dead end. if you make that about the same size as the rest of your meander, I promise, no on will notice it in the end and it is much less noticeable than a dead end! unless of course you are strategic enough to plan your end to match up with your beginning. but that can be tricky.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:59 PM

I start on the lower right corner and pull the quilt toward me while working. I've found it's easier to pull it than to push it through the machine. I do swaths approximately 6 or 7 inches wide, the length of the quilt, trying to make the edges cross over into the next section in a few places so that it will all blend well. When I get to the middle of the quilt, I turn it around and begin from the middle and work out to the unfinished edge. Since I glue-baste my quilts everything is firmly basted and I don't have to start quilting in the middle. No puckers, no problems.
Old 08-04-2023, 06:00 PM

try doing some on paper by hand first. helps get the movements planned
Old 08-05-2023, 02:18 AM

I like to divide the quilt into 4 quadrants. I start in the center of the quilt, in a ditch, if possible and quilt toward the edge of the quilt. I spray baste my quilts so I don't have to stop and start to remove the pins. This works well for large quilts on a domestic machine with a small throat space. Here on some great tips to get you started. Have fun!

https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...s-t289113.html