Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where Do You Start When Buying From Superior Threads? >

Where Do You Start When Buying From Superior Threads?

Where Do You Start When Buying From Superior Threads?

Old 04-19-2013, 04:02 AM

i just use their chart on the site. it tells you what thread and what needle. you can also
email them . they are very helpful and they get right back at you in about a day or same day
Old 04-19-2013, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

I would suggest you order the Titanium Coated topstitch needles too.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:09 AM

I agree with the needles, ordered them and they are wonderful!!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:23 AM

I have tried So Fine which is a thinnish 50-weight poly thread. It is good for FMQ, SITD ETC as it is fine. I am 'graduating to Bottom Line which is even thinner so hopefully mistaKes will show even less.

I did not like it for piecing. At all!!! I had through it would leave a flat seam when I pressed the seam to the side. It did, but it seems to have a life of its own - instead of sitting docilely like my nice well-behaved Aufil #50 cotton does at the end of a piece, it seemed to wriggle right out of the end of each joined piece, leaving the two pieces less than perfectly joined at the ends. Even leaving the threads longer didn't work as they just slid right out of place. To add insult to injury, when I cut the thread with my handy Janome thread-cut button, the Sooooo Fine would sometimes wiggle right out of the needle and make its merry way up around the needle toward the slots 5 and 4 where it came from.

You may have better luck - I am challenged with clutzy fingers.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:27 AM

I've been using Masterpiece for piecing and it works great. I also use neutral colors. I haven't tried it for quilting so I can't speak to that. I've been wanting to try Aurifil since I have heard good things about it - just haven't bought any yet.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
I have tried So Fine which is a thinnish 50-weight poly thread. It is good for FMQ, SITD ETC as it is fine. I am 'graduating to Bottom Line which is even thinner so hopefully mistaKes will show even less.

I did not like it for piecing. At all!!! I had through it would leave a flat seam when I pressed the seam to the side. It did, but it seems to have a life of its own - instead of sitting docilely like my nice well-behaved Aufil #50 cotton does at the end of a piece, it seemed to wriggle right out of the end of each joined piece, leaving the two pieces less than perfectly joined at the ends. Even leaving the threads longer didn't work as they just slid right out of place. To add insult to injury, when I cut the thread with my handy Janome thread-cut button, the Sooooo Fine would sometimes wiggle right out of the needle and make its merry way up around the needle toward the slots 5 and 4 where it came from.

You may have better luck - I am challenged with clutzy fingers.
If the thread is coming out of the needle when using the thread cutter you might try loosening the upper thread tension. I use So Fine for all my piecing and love it. Poly thread tends to untwist when cut at the end of a seam, so I always sew off the end about 1/4". Its the nature of poly. Cotton does not untwist. Another thing about the So Fine, if using too much heat, it can take on another life. It hasnt happened to me, but on Superiors website, they warn of it. Linda
Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 AM

I love Aurifil best for piecing, also like Masterpiece. I know that these seem to cost more but you need to look at it a different way: Aurifil has about 1,422 yds, Coats and Clark Star thread has about 1200 yds, Mettler Silk Finish has 500 yd (the larger one), Guetterman has I think about 500yds. So if you are using Mettler or Guetterman you need almost 3 spools to 1 Aurifil. Yes the Aurifil is more expensive but you are getting a lot more thread and it's not like you aren't going to use it!!

If you decide to go the Aurifil route the cheapest I have seen is at RedRockThreads. I happen to have a friend who gets it wholesale but that is about $6.00 a spool so retail would be around $12. I think RedRock has it for about $8. In other words if you are getting the Guetterman at Joanns with a 1/2 off coupon - the per yd price (at Red Rock) is about the same. Not sure how you can lose.

Also Mastepiece which is about $9 for the 600 yd spool is probably right around the same price as the Metter and Guetterman then for $25 you can get the 2500 yd spool.

So pound for pound/ yd for yd, the "pricier" threads are really not pricier.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 AM

OK first time I get on my high horse and I am on the wrong thread!!! I thought this was the one asking about thread and then complaints on how expensive aurifil/masterpiece are. SORRY

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I love Aurifil best for piecing, also like Masterpiece. I know that these seem to cost more but you need to look at it a different way: Aurifil has about 1,422 yds, Coats and Clark Star thread has about 1200 yds, Mettler Silk Finish has 500 yd (the larger one), Guetterman has I think about 500yds. So if you are using Mettler or Guetterman you need almost 3 spools to 1 Aurifil. Yes the Aurifil is more expensive but you are getting a lot more thread and it's not like you aren't going to use it!!

If you decide to go the Aurifil route the cheapest I have seen is at RedRockThreads. I happen to have a friend who gets it wholesale but that is about $6.00 a spool so retail would be around $12. I think RedRock has it for about $8. In other words if you are getting the Guetterman at Joanns with a 1/2 off coupon - the per yd price (at Red Rock) is about the same. Not sure how you can lose.

Also Mastepiece which is about $9 for the 600 yd spool is probably right around the same price as the Metter and Guetterman then for $25 you can get the 2500 yd spool.

So pound for pound/ yd for yd, the "pricier" threads are really not pricier.