Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: where to find an easy 4 patch pattern

where to find an easy 4 patch pattern

I'm planning a quilt for my boss whose husband died suddenly as something to comfort her in this sad time. I want something simple and considered a 4 patch. I'm still pretty much a newbie and not sure where to look for free patterns on this site or others. Anyone got suggestions?
    Thanks so much

Blog Entries
    Just Google "free four-patch quilt pattern" and you will find lots. Click on "images" to pick out the ones you really like. Here are some I found that way:
    http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...atch-Quilt.htm
    http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...ing-Frames.htm
    http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...Block.-96I.htm
    but I'm sure there are lots more.

Blog Entries
    Eleanor Burns has one called "Piece of Cake." It IS a piece of cake...and the instructions are understandable. I like Eleanor Burns method as her measurments are always accurate and easy. You could also check out the tutorials on YouTube from Missouri Star Quilt Company.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Well that's what I started out doing but got all sorts of things that weren't really what I was talking about. But thanks for the links

oh forgot about Missouri Star! I'll look there too

Warm wishes is my new favorite pattern.

Quilts for Kids has a good 4-patch pattern.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Just downloaded and printed this "Flying Squares Block" from http:// http://www.genxquilter.com/2012/09/f...-tutorial.html It uses on 3 colors.

I know what you mean by saying an easy four patch, how about a four patch, then continuing on with a log cabin style sides as to increase the size of the block. That would be easy I think. Good luck, hope you are finding what you want.

Blog Entries
    I just finished two diappearing 4 patch quilts for my daughter's friend who had twins. I did them as eye spy quilts. They were so much fun. The directions posted here were the ones I used and the pictures linked show the varying looks you can achieve. I think you would have fun. And if you have lots of scraps, this one will be so fun and interesting to make.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Actually my personal preference is the disappearing nine patch it is not quite so organized looking as the d4p. And the thing I like about it is if you start with larger squares you can have a top whipped up in no time, with the d9p. And above all the d9p is way more forgiving for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy1 View Post
    I just finished two diappearing 4 patch quilts for my daughter's friend who had twins. I did them as eye spy quilts. They were so much fun. The directions posted here were the ones I used and the pictures linked show the varying looks you can achieve. I think you would have fun. And if you have lots of scraps, this one will be so fun and interesting to make.
    This first wesite you posted (sew wonderful) has a great tutorial. I have 4 yds of floral brown fabric I bought last summer to make my ex-mother-in-law a quilt, that my kids were going to give her for a christmas gift. However, in September, she passed away unexpectedly. I still want to make a quilt using that fabric, and give it to my ex-brother-in-law, whom did so much for his mom. I want to explain to him that this was the fabric I had bought to make her a quilt and now used it to make a "memory quilt" in honor of his mom. I had also already bought some light gold fabric to go with this brown floral fabric so I am going to use this disappearing 4-patch pattern to make a throw size quilt for him as a "memory quilt" in honor of his mom. I have been looking since last September for a pattern to use for this and this will be the perfect one. Thanks.

You really don't need a pattern. Decide how big you want to make the quilt, this will help you find out the size of the blocks. Then cut out the squares to equal this size block.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I love Quilter'scache.com

Quote Originally Posted by quilter2theend View Post
    Just downloaded and printed this "Flying Squares Block" from http:// http://www.genxquilter.com/2012/09/f...-tutorial.html It uses on 3 colors.
    Using only 3 colors is something I need, can you check the link though, as when I tried to use it I got this message:
    " Sorry, the website www.genxquilter.com cannot be found "

Thanks !!
    Amythyst

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Eleanor Burns has one called "Piece of Cake." It IS a piece of cake...and the instructions are understandable. I like Eleanor Burns method as her measurments are always accurate and easy. You could also check out the tutorials on YouTube from Missouri Star Quilt Company.
    As a somewhat newbie myself, I not only am learning from the wonderful people on QB, but i love watching and learning from Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorials! I am about to start their "4-Patch + X's and O's = AWESOME" for my special needs daughter.
    His compassions are new every morning. . . Great is Your faithfulness!

Becky, I see that you have plenty of websites to check out from the wonderful friends on this board. Good luck with your quilt. It will be a comforting treasure to your boss during this time of adjustment.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judylg View Post
    Actually my personal preference is the disappearing nine patch it is not quite so organized looking as the d4p. And the thing I like about it is if you start with larger squares you can have a top whipped up in no time, with the d9p. And above all the d9p is way more forgiving for me.
    I also was going to ask about the DP9 for the same reasons.

I have done some basic 4-patches with alternating plain fabric squares. Some people like to alternate with snowball blocks too.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!