Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to go next? >

Where to go next?

Where to go next?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:21 AM

I'm working on a quilt and being brave and including applique. I know how to, I just don't like doing handwork. Anyway, I'm not sure the best (read: easiest) order to do everything in, so I would appreciate your suggestions.

I have the center of the quilt top (bit smaller than twin size) finished. I'm adding a 9" border. In the border, I will applique 8 8" square designs (in the corners and halfway down each border). The main quilt top itself won't have any applique, just the border. I also don't have the applique patterns just yet. They're fairly simple, but I can't draw, so a friend is making them for me.

Should I attach the borders and then applique? Or applique on the 9" pieces of fabric, then attach them?

Should I quilt it now, then applique and attach the borders, and go back and quilt them? Or should I wait to quilt until after I get the applique and borders on?

Your expertise is appreciated!
Old 07-25-2010, 09:25 AM

It would be easier to applique' on a smaller section rather than attaching then trying to do so. As for quilting, I would do that afterwards as well. It will depend on if you are hand, machine or sending it out. Working with smaller sections reduces the 'pull' on the rest of the entire quilt as you are working on it.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I would not want to wrangle the whole quilt to get the applique on... I would also do as Deb suggested and applique on the smaller pieces before attatching them to the quilt top :D:D:D

If you quilt before adding the applique, the applique may not lay as flat and nicely as you would like.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:43 AM

Same as both above anwsers, Deb and Amma.
Only thing i might add is use a slightley larger piece than the intended size, if applique pulls any will make smaller, then you can trim to needed size after appliqued.

Good Luck and yes we will want to see pictures!!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:22 AM

Thank you for the replies!

Okay, I will applique onto the borders before I attach (that's what I thought would make sense, glad to hear y'all affirm it!).

I do the quilting myself, by machine. I use my Flynn Frame which makes it fairly easy to maneuver. What I was thinking was to quilt now sans border/applique, then add both and add the final quilting, sort of like quilt as you go. But I'm thinking just waiting and doing all the quilting once the top is done would make sense...
Old 07-25-2010, 06:33 PM

I would applique your blocks first, then trim them back to size.add to your borders then attach to the quilt.

Jennyquilts