Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where should a beginer begin? >

Where should a beginer begin?

Where should a beginer begin?

Old 02-09-2014, 05:07 AM
Vat

One of the things I can recomand is that you use starch. I have never seen it in any supply list for any quilt in any magazine, book, etc. etc. It will keep your fabric flat, matching seams is easier, helps bias from stretching , keep your fabric from fraying, etc. etc. I use Sta-Flo , you can pick it up at Walmart. Pour it into a larger jug and pour in the same amount of water, mix and pour into a spray bottle. Dampen your fabric with water and then saturate you fabric with the starch. Press it dry. All of this is before you cut out anything. Once you project is finished just rinse it and the starch is gone.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:17 AM

Start anywhere you please. If you feel confident that you can do something do it. If not, do it anyway. You'll never learn otherwise. I never took a class, my mom helped me or rather gave me pointers that helped me. But I learned everything on my own. I take advice from people if I think it will help me - not anyone else - but I am me and I may do it all wrong, but if it turns out, it works. My very first quilt pattern was Antique Tile from Quilter's Cache and from that I made a memory quilt. My very best favorite of all the quilts I have made. Why? Because it was my first one. The squares were square and rectangle and I made it with my own touch. I'd go out and buy a fat quarter because I needed dog paws or a soccer ball or whatever I wanted. Then when I took it to have it quilted, it made the pro quilter cry because she asked me to explain what every square represented. Like when my husband had cancer and was going through Chemotherapy, or a block that had a square that my mother had made, or the rose square because my father grew roses, or my faith, Lutheran, on which I wrote a quotation from Martin Luther...."Next to the Word of God, music deserves the highest praise. The gift of language combined with the gift of Song was given to man that he should proclaim the Word of God through Music.". I had 35 12" blocks for the quilt and no one else, unless I tell them, could ever understand what the quilt was about. One of my favorites is "When I get old, I will never wear purple" So I figured I'd do a purple block. Each block was a part of my life (I'm going on 76 now) and I am still not going to wear purple.

Do as you please, how you please, why you want to do it a certain way and DO IT! God Bless. Have fun. Don't get discouraged. If you have to take part of the block apart after it is sewn on to the top, take it out and redo it. Watch how you take it apart and put it back the same way and no one will be any the wiser. I had to do that this past week. I sent my sister a picture of the top of the quilt and after I had sent it I noticed MISTAKE. SO I just took that part apart, fixed it and sewed it back on.

May be it is just me, may be I am too old to write things down fast enough to learn it in my head permanently in a class or something and may be it is my independence when it comes to doing what I love to do the most.

Edie
Old 02-09-2014, 05:28 AM

Since you've already been sewing for a while, I say find a pattern you like, pick out 'good' fabrics, and go for it! I think Debbie Maddy (Calico Carriage, just google it) has some really great patterns for 1st timers. (Based on personal experience).
I agree with earlier comments of learning the 1/4" seam. If your machine didn't come with a 1/4" foot - get one! you'll thank yourself for it!
Learn to cut accurately.
Do use starch!
Pin so seams meet.
Learn to use your seam ripper (you'll use it)
Be aware of when you 'stretch' fabric to meet/match.
and Most Importantly - have fun!

This forum is an excellent resource. If you need help understanding how to do a specific task or step...ask! You'll typically get several options on it! Please show some pictures !
Old 02-09-2014, 05:33 AM

There are tons of quilting videos for beginners on u-tube. Also try Missouri Star Quilt Co videos. They are really well explained and easy. Do a first quilt with only a few blocks, maybe make placemats or potholders, or table toppers until you kind of get the hang of it. Ask at your local quilt shop about a Quilt Guild or a local church quilting group. They can offer lots of encouragement and help. Church groups usually make simple quilts and the ladies are eager to help you get started while you contribute to a worth cause. If you know someone who quilts ask them if they will be backup. Buy a good quilt book for beginners. Post questions on this board. We re always willing to help.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 AM

I dove in and then back up and refined some skills. Learn to use a scant quarter inch seam...different from a full quarter inch. Learn to properly use the rotary cutter and ruler. I pieced about three quilts and took a rotary cutting class and found out I was cutting wrong. Sponge off of any resource you find...friends, books videos. Also bear in mind that are several ways to accomplish something. For instance, making HST's. Find what makes you happy and do it that way. Don't worry about quilt police...keep it fun! Quilting is a life time learning hobby!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:22 AM

Take the time to learn to use your rotary cutter properly. They can be seriously dangerous if not used with the proper care. They are wonderful once you've learned to use them safely. Youtube has a ton of tutorials for quilting. Both Jenny Doan & Eleanor Burns plus a ton of others. Bonnie Hunter is great too, she has a quiltcam set up, she just sews and talks for an hour, it's like having someone there sewing with you.

Last edited by jeaninmaine; 02-09-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:00 AM

Welcome!! I am a self taught (and YouTube taught) quilter. As long as you have fabric, a ruler, rotary cutter and mat, and a machine, you are set. Find a pattern you love, doesnt matter what size it is (my first project was a twin quilt) and leap!! Its not rocket science, and its fun!! Now jump!!👍👍
Old 02-09-2014, 07:17 AM

I did a lot of on line videos when I started and that was really helpful Whenever I a problem I search on this board or asked for help. This board is awesome. I can not even begin to tell you how much I have learnt from this board. So many are willing to help. You should do fine. My problems when I started was I had no idea how to sew and threading my sewing machine was so hard. Once a few folks here gave me tips, I was on my way. I love, love this board and how helpful everyone is.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Welcome, from Mosquito, California! Another resource for some quick help and support would be to look up the nearest Project Linus group. Some of them do a quilting day, complete with a specific pattern that they will help you with. Always pretty basic. You will have fun, learn lots, meet really generous people and laugh a bunch. Enjoy!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 AM

Welcome to a wonderful new hobby. I have a beginning book by Alex Anderson, actually I have several copies of it. I would be happy to send you a copy if you pm me your address. Everyone on here is wonderful and helpful. You will be hooked.