Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where should I go from here?

Question Where should I go from here?

I am making this quilt for a friend of mine. She specified the crosses with the butterflies and a black, white and bright theme. It is going to be king size. That said, I'm not sure where to go from here. I thought about adding more log cabins at this point, but they just don't seem to work... It definitely needs color again at this point. I will finish with a 9 1/2" pale section (same fabric as the center white) that will give it the drop. I just don't know what block to incorporate the color with now.... any ideas? The original log cabins are @ 9" and the border on there now is finished at 9 1/2". Don't now if I should go with black, white and brights or just brights either.... HELP????
    Attached Images Attached Images

So it's 64" wide now ... right?

I agree, you need more color if you're going to make it at least another 20" wide for a King.

I would actually try a border that combines all of the colors plus the B & W print.

Braid?
    Several squares set on point?
    Opposing triangles made from strips?

Either way, I would combine color with B&W and use a diagonal but linear pattern. The linear pattern will compliment the log cabins, and the diagonal will bring the focus back to the center which will be important because your border will be so large.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

how about repeating the log cabin blockes on the border to give it a bit more colour

I actually made four french braids, but they just didn't look right. (But boy are they gorgeous...)

It is really nice looking. The butterfly and color blocks will continue to stand out if you add grey and black blocks around the edges.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    Piano Keys maybe- I agree it needs more color , but not sure how to get it there without it looking forced hhhmmmm
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I already tried log cabins again, but they just don't look right. Maybe smaller... maybe a nine patch with black separators?

Blog Entries
    Maybe your cornerstones make the quilt look finished and that's why adding anything else makes it look like an afterthought? I'm a terrible designer but the quilt just looks finished to me as it is (I know you wanted/need to make it bigger). It's certainly a beautiful quilt!
    Bernie

Blog Entries
    i might try a piano key border with the same colors as the log cabin blocks.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I would have to agree with doghouse mom and say blocks set on point. Those blocks could be 4patchs or 9patches, but by setting them on point, it will tie in with your corner stones and medallion centre. You could use the bright colours in these blocks to add life to your borders. Either way, your quilt is gorgeous.
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

What if I simply stack red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and then the black & whites in the same size strips as in the log cabins and repeat until I've gone all the way around? Think that would work???? Or am I describing a piano key variation?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
    Maybe your cornerstones make the quilt look finished and that's why adding anything else makes it look like an afterthought? I'm a terrible designer but the quilt just looks finished to me as it is (I know you wanted/need to make it bigger). It's certainly a beautiful quilt!
    I agree...unfortunately....the quilt looks complete as is. If it has to be larger, just frame with black tone on tone...will keep original intact.

What about doing a pineapple block border with black and white as the main colors and triangles in your primary colors?

Blog Entries
    I think I'd use some more of the log cabin blocks. So far so good. I love the butterflies and the crosses.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

It is beautiful so far!!! My first thought is more Log cabin blocks, but you said that it doesn't work to well. Maybe a Piano Key variation.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Here's my humble opinion: You said you will have the light center color as the ending 9-1/2" sash. My opinion is that this lighter color will visually 'lift' the quilt off the bed when you really want the quilt to 'settle' on the bed. You've done a great job drawing the eye to the center of the quilt so I think that last 9-1/2" sash should be any of the darker colors - keeping the lighter color and the other bright colors in the center only.

If you worked up something (9 patch or maybe piano keys but in the same width strips as the log cabin pieces?) with the darker colors (no whites or brights) and then ended with the darker 9-1/2" sash the eye could still be drawn to the center - which seems to be what you are after.

Personally I wouldn't add any more bright colors.

And....... it's lovely right now!

Shari

nine patch on point???

Anita in Northfield, MN

Piano keys with same colors as log cabins

I love your quilt so far, will be interested to see what you decide.
    Penny aka PLS 1946

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I think using one of the bright colors in the log cabin blocks as another border would look nice. Maybe the red! Red always looks great. If you want, you could do another block in each corner (don't know if that would look okay or not).
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

How about piano keys in all the colors of the quilt?
    pat design

I really like Mom3's suggestion. But, I also like the idea of a "little" bit more color. What about doing a narrow piping in one of the brights between each of the additional borders? I used one in a challenge quilt for my guild. I was surprised how easy it was and how effective,,,for being such a little thing.

PS. I really like what you've done. Are butterflies appliqued on the crosses? Gorgeous!

I'm no help, but it is a lovely quilt! Hope you can solve your dilemma from all the good suggestions here.

Blog Entries
    How about using the bright colors singly as on-point 4" or so squares, set in solid black; like a flim strip border but the squares on point. That would repeat the shape of the black diamond setting of the crosses, but add color.

Follow that with your light border as the drop, with another border of the zebra print, bound in black. A bright flange/piping between the white and zebra would make the drop really coordinate well. It could be a single color, such as the gold around the center block, or red, or a scrappy-style strip pieced from all the colors.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    IMHO i think adding color will take away from the center.. Darker borders/sqs is my vote..

BTW-- I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the way it is now...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast