Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where is your workspace? >

Where is your workspace?

Where is your workspace?

Old 10-24-2010, 01:04 PM

I have an "official" sewing room that used to be the tool room for the garage. My dear hubby conveted it for me but it has no heat and no air. I also share an office space in the house with hubby. Half the room is our office the other half is my sewing area. But when push come to shove I reserve the right to the dining room table also!
Old 10-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Converted a bedroom. Very basic. Great as I do not have to pack up all the time. For years I worked on the kitchen table.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:18 PM

I'm in the basement. Under the house, half is garages, half is basement and I have half of that for my sewing room. The other half is workshop area. I put full spectrum bulbs in all the florecent light fixtures and have a door w/a window. I painted the walls white so it is pretty bright. I thought about taking over DD bedroom when she got married but i've been down there for 14 years and am quite comfortable. Plus all my accesories/storage items are blue & white and her room has purple plush carpet (wrong color & terrible for dropped pins lol).
Old 10-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

When I started quilting my kids were still living at home. I realized right away I needed a sewing room. DH had his shop for his me time, the kids each had their bedrooms and I didn't have a room of my own. I kicked everyone out of the den and converted it to my sewing room. I had a door way added so the room wouldn't be open to the house and it was not a combo room, it was only my sewing room from then on. Now I have a split level type home and have the bottom level as my sewing area.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:57 PM

my sewing room and ironing board are in the basement. And the best part is that the mess is out of sight. My quilt frame is in my office - right next to the tv & computer!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:47 PM

I have the bedroom upstairs now, mentioned before, and working on the garage conversion... but we're just finishing a basement, and he has 10' tall walls he wants a "man cave" but he's never home much now, so a pool table wouldn't get much use, or the room. So he said I could probably use that as a bigger sewing rm next. Then when the other half the basement is finished, we really don't need another family rm, so that could be my sewing rm, and it be about as nice as the garage, just no windows down there (man cave has 1 egress window), and I like natural light, being able to look outside at the flowers. Still, a bigger room would very much be appreciated no matter where. Yes, we had a very tiny home raising 5 children in 3 bedrooms for 25 yrs, bought a much bigger older home now, but when the kids come home for holidays, they've multiplied! We need more room now then as children, even when they aren't here all the time. I used to sew on the kitchen table and stash in my bedrm closet too. Some downsize, we upsized..more stairs and work as I get older, but still love the place. Photos added to share. My husband has built this place from a gutted to studs shell, 3 yrs ago it was weeds to the windows, it's come a long way.

My sewing rm now
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115274[/ATTACH]

Front View from home
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115275[/ATTACH]

Home at evening
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115278[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115269.jpe   attachment-115270.jpe   attachment-115273.jpe  
Old 10-24-2010, 02:50 PM

I'm blessed with a nice laundry room. No rooms in our house are large, but the laundry area has one whole side, with two fantastic windows, a large closet and also shelves. Then I put the cutting mat on the washer or dryer. It's easy to get sewing done when I'm waiting for a load of laundry. Got a TV in there, and I'm set!!! For years I sewed on the kitchen table. Then for the next chapter I sewed in my bedroom. I'm super blessed to have the laundry room.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:57 PM

Well....I'm kind of spread out...

I have my fabric and 4 machines that get set up in our spare/guest bedroom...have a large folding table that folds down when we have a guest and an airmattress that goes in there...
I have three machines in the dining room, one that doesn't get used in the living room, and the mid-arm is in our bedroom.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

I live alone, so the whole house.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

i have a room in our basement. i tend to work out of it though when using my joann's folding table and basting my quilt.