Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whip Stitch vs. Ladder Stitch >

Whip Stitch vs. Ladder Stitch

Whip Stitch vs. Ladder Stitch

Old 07-16-2015, 07:05 AM

I would say, take some picture and show what you are doing. Different parts of the country call things by different names. Pictures always help with any questions.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:08 AM

I only use a ladder stitch when I am doing EPP, because it passes from one hex to another. You can do a longer stitch, and it isn't seen. For needle turn applique, I use the applique stitch, usually with 100 wt. silk thread or 50/2 Mettler Silk cotton thread. If I'm doing machine applique, I use either a tiny zig zag stitch with poly thread, if I don't want the stitch seen, or the double buttonhole stitch (which to me looks much nicer than the single buttonhole stitch) if I want it to be seen.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:43 PM

I had the great fortune to study applique from Pat Campbell and I use and teach her needle turn applique stitch. None of my stitches show on the front. I love doing it and it does not come apart.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:06 PM

If I am doing hand applique, I use a very tiny stitch that I suppose could be called a whipstitch,but for most whimsical pieces I just use fuseable and a ladder or buttonhole stitch.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:06 AM

I use applique stitch (never knew it was called that, but I watched this video, and that's exactly what I do http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...itch__D54.html). I do the same stitch when attaching my binding on the back of the quilt. Almost invisible, and I've never had any issues with the stitching coming out. Of course, this is only for applique where you have turned under the raw edge. Any raw edge applique is going to fray too much for this stitch to hold. I would machine stitch with a blanket stitch or zigzag in that case.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I've seen different teachers promote one or the other for hand applique. Leah Day actually teaches both.

But I've always wondered... does one technique last better over time than the other? I've tried them both & they both look fine after the first couple washes, but I wonder if it matters over the years. Does anyone know? Is one more secure than the other?
Fifteen years ago I made 10 sundresses as survival gear when I moved to Texas. Many of them have appliqués at the neckline, half of which were ladder stitch until I learned that whip stitch is easier (for me) to do. I am still wearing them in the summer, have washed them hundreds, maybe even thousands of times and no broken stitches, no lifting, nothing. Do what works for you. I did a monster size Seminole patchwork around one of the skirts, that I wasn't sure would hold up, but wanted to try, and after ten years of wearing, was altered into a table cover for a small round table that is a till in good shape too. They are all much softer now, and a bit faded, bit no other issues.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I had the great fortune to study applique from Pat Campbell and I use and teach her needle turn applique stitch. None of my stitches show on the front. I love doing it and it does not come apart.
How blessed you are to have studied applique from Pat. She was a master.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:22 PM

I do the whip stitch and think it's stronger, jmho.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:44 PM

Yes, Kristakz, that is the stitch I had heard called a "whip stitch". It isn't the same whip stitch I would use when I used to make clothes, but I see the resemblance. I'm going to stick with that. It really does give me a smoother edge around curves & is ever so slightly less visible than the ladder stitch (neither one is very visible -- when I match the thread perfectly, you can't even see the stitches when you squint).

I still love Aurifil thread most of all. I do wish they would come out with a Silk line of their threads. I would definitely be buying those up. But I really like the idea of keeping everything cotton (fabric, batting, thread) and 50/2 Aurifil really isn't visible with an applique stitch unless you are searching for it with a magnifier. I may have to try some YLI 100wt silk in my next applique quilt just to compare. It's always fun to try something new. Just wish they sold spools of thread in something smaller than 200m because it seems like too often I pick very different colors from one quilt to the next. My next organization purchase will definitely be a clear box with plastic dowels to corral all my threads and keep them from getting dusty.