Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who are the "Quilting Police" .... >

Who are the "Quilting Police" ....

Who are the "Quilting Police" ....

Old 04-22-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I think my guild must be the seat of Hall of Fame quilt police. The elderly founding members! Nothing pleases them more then to tell others where they messed up. I wish there was a 'retirement age' for guild members. LOL
Way too funny! I think my ex-MIL was a quilting police at one time. Heck, she was also the judge and jury, and most of the time convicted me of not paying attention to her. My sentence? Having to listen to her complain over and over and over again...............
Old 04-22-2011, 07:16 PM

Quilt Police = Snooty, Old(no matter what thier real age is), Noseybodies, that have nothing better to do then find something to Tsk Tsk about in a quilt.

Over heard ONE (yep just one) at a quilt show today. "SHE machine quilted. Her hand stitching isnt even. He didnt miter his corners. blah blah blah" I then heard someone ask her if she had entered a quilt...are you ready? "Oh, I dont quilt, I dont even sew. I just like coming to quilt shows because my DIL has to drive me and she doesnt like spending the day with me" You think????? Poor DIL.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 PM

The quilt police usually leave you a PM so that no one else will know who they are. You can delete those!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by labtechkty
Since I'm new to quilting I have often wondered who the "Quilting Police" are and how do they get elected??? I mean are they people whose ancestors taught them to quilt generation after generation or are they people who just happen to have alot of talent and declared themselves police over all quilt domain???? :hunf: just asking.... :roll:
The "Quilt Police" are people who think quilts should be made a certain way. They are the judgmental, self-righteous snobs of the quilting world.:roll:
Old 04-23-2011, 02:49 AM

If there were quilt police, I would never be able to pass the test. I am a self taught, try anything person. My piecing abilities are atrocious but I love it anyway. Just finished piecing a Snake River log cabin and hoping to get someone to quilt it for me. They probably will refuse because of the piecing.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 AM
Vat

You are kidding aren't you, right? ? ?
Old 04-23-2011, 04:07 AM

I have always thought that my cat Peach was the quilt police. She always has to be the first to try out a new quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-187859.jpe  
Old 04-23-2011, 04:23 AM

I personally choose to beleive that the Quilt Police live in NeverNever land with the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy the Lepracans and Peter Pan and TinkerBell and that they ride around on unicorns and dragons and reek havoc upon those that believe!!
Old 04-23-2011, 04:24 AM

Quilt police: those who will tell a beginner who's thrilled with her first quilt that the points aren't accurate. The local group that doesn't welcome beginners. The member of the online group who questions whether some members are good enough to take part in the round robin. Anyone who has a superiority complex or who discourages others, especially the less confident, from discovering the joys of quilting.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:26 AM

One must be careful. This can be a grey area. The characteristics here mentioned are typical of the QP, and grey is usually their (natural) hair color. I understand that they can be bribed with fat quarters, but I wouldn't waste my time or fabric. The reason I issue caution, is that there are genuinely concerned people who will scrutinize our works and provide helpful comments or suggestions. You should ask for feed back. If someone makes comments about mismatched points, that may be a quilt police. If you ask, "How do I avoid these mismatched points?" then everyone who answers is a mentor. (Before you asked, they were making comments on the pretty color combo.)

Recently, I was picking the brain of a fellow guild member about the overall operation of the retreats, shows, fund-raisers, etc. New to this guild, it seems so different than the other groups to which I've belonged. I was advised to hang my quilts for show, rather than for judging, at our upcoming guild show. She described the judges as unemotional nit-pickers who don't know how to have fun. So, yes, we have plain clothes quilt police in my area.