Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who can admit to using Quilter's Showcase in a quilt? >

Who can admit to using Quilter's Showcase in a quilt?

Who can admit to using Quilter's Showcase in a quilt?

Old 02-28-2019, 11:20 AM

Default Who can admit to using Quilter's Showcase in a quilt?

If you don't already know, Quilter's Showcase is Joann's least expensive line. It has a retail cost of $5.99, but most times can be bought for $3.99 or less. Some of it has a very soft and pleasant hand. It is thin though. There are a few prints that I really like in the line. I would be afraid to try it on a quilt that I wanted to gift, but would try it on one for myself (as long as I made it a simple one)

I have purchased fabrics from every venue, but my favorite is usually name brands I can buy at one of the online discounters. However, I am impressed with the soft feel of this fabric and just wondered if any of you have tried it, and what was your experience?
Old 02-28-2019, 11:28 AM

I've used it at least twice for backs, once a couple of years ago and once this past summer. The one was long-arm quilted, the recent one on a domestic machine.

Both times it handled very nicely and has held up as well as the more expensive fabrics on the top. I prewash and it was fine after washing, no bad raveling or other issues.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I've used it at least twice for backs, once a couple of years ago and once this past summer. The one was long-arm quilted, the recent one on a domestic machine.

Both times it handled very nicely and has held up as well as the more expensive fabrics on the top. I prewash and it was fine after washing, no bad raveling or other issues.
Good to know. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

I can not attest to their Quilters Showcase line. But when I first started quilting I didn't know anything about using quilting fabric. I made two quilts from JoAnnes "Keepsake" cotton line. Going back 20 years this fabric was in the $3.99 price range while the name brand cottons were hovering around 6.99 to 7.99. Both quilts were hand quilted and they are used very little. One stays on my guest bed which gets very little use and has probably only been washed a half dozen times if that. The other, a lone star, I made for my bed and did use it for several years.
Both quilts have fabrics in them that have faded horribly and that is with little washing and very limited sunlight exposure. Not all of the fabrics faded, just some of them.
The one in my guest bedroom, where no animals are allowed and as I said before gets used very little has also had fabric degradation, areas where there is no stitching, no quilting yet the fabric is breaking down and forming little holes/threadbare areas.
Quite honestly I was heartsick about both of them. They both have literally 100's of hours of hand quilting work on them. While they are still usable they have looked pretty shabby for most of their lives. The fading issues on one of them started before I had even finished quilting it. The other shortly after I finished.
I swore off JoAnn's fabrics for good and really don't even shop there for anything at all as I find their pricing structure predatory (inflated regular prices so they can "trick" customers into thinking they are getting a deal by offering 40 or 50% off coupons).
In my mind if you are going to spend countless hours working on a quilt, why use inferior products.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:10 PM

I've used it twice for backing as well and so far so good!
Old 02-28-2019, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

fabrics are being made all over the world now and some have very odd names as to what they are. cotton or what ever. its a buyer beware thing now. mostly in clothing but in some quilt fabrics too i'm sure. we need to be more diligent on the name brands and know just where they get their fabrics.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

I use it a lot for backs, because it is so cheap. It's good, sturdy fabric. I haven't found any that is too thin. Most are borderline on the thick side.

My favorite quilt on my bed now has a Quilter's Showcase backing. I love it! If it's not on sale, you can use your 50% off coupon and get it for about $2.50- $3.00 a yard. That's when I buy several yards to use as backing.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I heartily agree with Feline Fanatic. You couldn't pay me to take JA fabrics.
The only thing I ever buy in that store is curtain rods.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:01 PM

I have used it. Most of my quilts are given to family, friends and charities. I don't make them for show or to be life long heirlooms. If they wear out I am proud to say it was used and loved. I can take that opportunity to make another quilt to be loved and worn out
Old 02-28-2019, 06:48 PM

I am like cjsews, my quilts are not made to be heirloom, they are made to be used. Everything I make is made to be used (quilts, pillowcases, towels, dish towels, etc.). That way when they are worn out, they can get a new one. I use fabric because I like it. There are fabrics I won't use - but that is because they didn't have the right feel. Only once did I buy some flannel at Joann's that was weird. It wrinkled like crazy, when it was washed it was so misshapen and I don't think it ever stopped bleeding. It was blue. Needless to say I never used it. It never occurred to me to return it, but I should have because I bought 5 yards of it.