Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who else has two sets of notions?

I don't but it sounds like a great idea.
    Anna Quilts

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I always forget what I have and then I buy the same thing again. I have 2 of so many rulers and other gadgets laying around. But, I have a friend in Russia and I'm making a care package for her and putting in all my doubles. She has a hard time getting things over there. I sent her some fabric and she wrote me that she couldn't believe she had some Moda fabric. Made me want to send her more. She used it right up and put up pictures on her blog. She's a sweetie. I met her through our blogs.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I cannot afford it, but it would be nice to have extras.
    Sadiemae

I have at least duplicates of many things and like someone else said - some of the things I have more than that. Why is it that sometimes I still can't find what I need??? Maybe too much stuff!?? LOL

Blog Entries
    Yup, have dups and trips, but they aren't together in one place. Someday I will have to get organized!

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I have one set in my camper and at least one set plus several various pieces and parts in my sewing room.

When I find some items on clearance, or at a garage sale, I can't help but thinking it is always nice to have an extra this or that, just in case!

I am like Shelbie. I have a bag for different things: tutoring (one per student); Sunday School/Church: Sunday nights missions group: substitute bag which is large enough to add a sewing project or rubberstamping project. Just like those of you with many unfinished sewing projects or WIPs; I have hand sewing, applique, postcard applique and cards to put together in the small gift bags lined up on bookcase in LR so I can leave the house with a project and of course a book. You just never know when things will get boring and you have to keep your hands busy. I had a professor once tell me if my hands were not busy my mouth was. Hehehe I guess it was a better class when I brought crocheting. Therefore, I have several sets of notions... Do not want to count...Ex. packing for Indy...I ended of with 5 pincushions, I guess I forgot I packed the first 4. We are fun bunch and share. Teresa

Blog Entries
    good afternoon. I have 4 sets. 1 travel sewing kit. 2 by my chair in my sewing box. 3 next to one machine 4 next to the other machine I hate using a seam ripper or something and then needing it at another place. I only have a few items I use. lol
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

I have a separate set for each sewing machine, for exactly that reason...if I had one sewing machine with me, the notion I wanted was always with another machine.

Blog Entries
    Me too with the seam rippers!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    I have lots of dups of everything- including rulers.. Im really good at mis-placing things andits easier to grab one that was actually put away..

ive got over a doz seam rippers.. and I lost count on scissors and nippers..

I have 2, or more, of several items. Usually because I see a good deal and can't remember if I already have it or I buy it thinking my daughter or granddaughter might like it and they already have it so I end up keeping things. But since money has gotten tighter and supplys more expensive I have been returning some items that I know I will probably never use a duplicate or triplicate of.
    Longarm

I can relate. I have a set upstairs, a set downstairs and a set for travel. Who has time to go looking for what you need when you have quilting to do!

This would be me! Duplicates in the sewing room as I have 5 machines set up and ready to use so I have notions in the drawer near each one. Seam rippers, 6" seam guide/ruler, screwdriver, and the list goes on, lol. It is so handy for me that way.

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
    That would be me too!
    Me too...cause I buy at estate sales too!!

Blog Entries
    I am known in our quilting group as the notion queen. I love notions and always have what they need when they forget a notion. I even have notions that I have no clue how to use.

i'm with those of us that have duplicates. i'm lucky enough to have a bunch of "extras" in the house. there's a seam ripper in nearly every room, three sewing boxes scattered in the house (one used to be the "camping" box), etc. we have two levels, so there are sewing machines in three places--basement, main floor, upstairs. the arthritis doesn't like stairs so much, so it makes sense to have "stuff" in every spot. i've gotten a lot of it at estate/garage sales--and when it comes to the estate sales, i always have to stop and wonder at the life of the person, the things those notions have helped make, and mourn a little that there was nobody in the family to take these things and keep them working. (or maybe rejoice that the tradition was passed on, and they don't need these things--they already have them!) my favorite thimble is an ancient brass one i got at a thrift store, in a bag of miscellaneous junk. it is dented a little, and pretty darned old, but it fits me as though it was made for me. it found its "home", again. good stuff.
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

Well, you are organized. I have more than one set just for my sewing room. Must have 8 seam rippers because when I need one, I couldn't find one.

If you go to a lot of away from home sewing things, it totally makes sense. I rarely do any longer, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I have more than two sets just for my sewing room!! Too many time I have lost a small ruler , pincushion , sissors etc ... so I have way more than two sets of notions( the ones I use the most). I only hope I can find the one I need at that moment I need it.
    I have to admit that I have the same thing. I am not a well organized person.

I also have more than two sets depending on what I am going to do or where I'm going. I sure saves time when you want to take a kit to a quilt meeting or to a sit and sew event away from home. And then I have the set that I use at the sewing and cutting table. Can never have too many notions!
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

I have at least 2 sets, one in the studio across the hall, one for the livingroom and another set in my locker at the studio where I work.
    Can't ever have to many LOL. Then if I can't find something I may have to purchase it again. Currently MIA is my 6 inch revolving mat.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

I have 3 sets of notions, including sewing machines as I travel alot between our vacation home, motor home, retreats. The one item I forget a lot is my seam ripper, so now I have multiple rippers. Have 2 Godchildren who watch out for me they get all the extra things I need a lot of and loose often. We have extra measuring tapes, seam rippers, seam gauges

Quote Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
    I have duplicates just so they are all over the house!!!
    Ditto. I admit though that some duplicates were purchased just because I couldn't find the original.

I have done just what you did. I haven't been taking alot of classes lately but I do keep a travel bag just in case, problem is, I can never remember what all is in the bag or even where the bag is sometimes. Sounds like a lot of senior moments to me.LOL
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

I have two sets. I did the same thing. I'd go to a workshop and be missing something. I also bought a Busy Box from The Container Store to haul my stuff in when I go to a long term retreat. They're so durable and firm; nothing flimsy about them.
    Karen in Kentucky

jcrow, I like your idea. While reading all these messages, I was thinking about so many people who would
    like to be able to afford -one set-. ........ as well as beginning quilters. list any unwanted notions on this board!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast