Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who else has two sets of notions? >

Who else has two sets of notions?

Who else has two sets of notions?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:57 AM

i'm with those of us that have duplicates. i'm lucky enough to have a bunch of "extras" in the house. there's a seam ripper in nearly every room, three sewing boxes scattered in the house (one used to be the "camping" box), etc. we have two levels, so there are sewing machines in three places--basement, main floor, upstairs. the arthritis doesn't like stairs so much, so it makes sense to have "stuff" in every spot. i've gotten a lot of it at estate/garage sales--and when it comes to the estate sales, i always have to stop and wonder at the life of the person, the things those notions have helped make, and mourn a little that there was nobody in the family to take these things and keep them working. (or maybe rejoice that the tradition was passed on, and they don't need these things--they already have them!) my favorite thimble is an ancient brass one i got at a thrift store, in a bag of miscellaneous junk. it is dented a little, and pretty darned old, but it fits me as though it was made for me. it found its "home", again. good stuff.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 AM

Well, you are organized. I have more than one set just for my sewing room. Must have 8 seam rippers because when I need one, I couldn't find one.

If you go to a lot of away from home sewing things, it totally makes sense. I rarely do any longer, sadly.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I have more than two sets just for my sewing room!! Too many time I have lost a small ruler , pincushion , sissors etc ... so I have way more than two sets of notions( the ones I use the most). I only hope I can find the one I need at that moment I need it.
I have to admit that I have the same thing. I am not a well organized person.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 AM

I also have more than two sets depending on what I am going to do or where I'm going. I sure saves time when you want to take a kit to a quilt meeting or to a sit and sew event away from home. And then I have the set that I use at the sewing and cutting table. Can never have too many notions!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 AM

I have at least 2 sets, one in the studio across the hall, one for the livingroom and another set in my locker at the studio where I work.
Can't ever have to many LOL. Then if I can't find something I may have to purchase it again. Currently MIA is my 6 inch revolving mat.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 AM

I have 3 sets of notions, including sewing machines as I travel alot between our vacation home, motor home, retreats. The one item I forget a lot is my seam ripper, so now I have multiple rippers. Have 2 Godchildren who watch out for me they get all the extra things I need a lot of and loose often. We have extra measuring tapes, seam rippers, seam gauges
Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
I have duplicates just so they are all over the house!!!
Ditto. I admit though that some duplicates were purchased just because I couldn't find the original.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:05 AM

I have done just what you did. I haven't been taking alot of classes lately but I do keep a travel bag just in case, problem is, I can never remember what all is in the bag or even where the bag is sometimes. Sounds like a lot of senior moments to me.LOL
Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 AM

I have two sets. I did the same thing. I'd go to a workshop and be missing something. I also bought a Busy Box from The Container Store to haul my stuff in when I go to a long term retreat. They're so durable and firm; nothing flimsy about them.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 AM

jcrow, I like your idea. While reading all these messages, I was thinking about so many people who would
like to be able to afford -one set-. ........ as well as beginning quilters. list any unwanted notions on this board!