Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who gets your stash when you are 'gone'? >

Who gets your stash when you are 'gone'?

Who gets your stash when you are 'gone'?

Old 12-31-2017, 09:28 AM

I have left instructions that anything my 2 DDs can’t sell for ($) themselves or use, is to be donated to St. Vincent de Paul where I found a good portion of it, including my beautiful Husqvarna serger recently purchased ($92!). Over the years, when times got lean, they have helped us out with food boxes, clothing we could afford, and best of all great prices on my quilting addiction. I became disabled at 32years old when DDs were 9 & 14, and I was already widowed, so we were on the low income scale for many years. Thank you St. Vincent de Paul. (PS I am not catholic, which to me, makes them even better.)
Old 12-31-2017, 10:13 AM

Interesting topic. When my hubby and I downsized to a condo, we took pictures of all the things that we thought our kids would have an interest in. We made up a ""want" list with 3-4 categories of: "I want this; I would like this if nobody else wants it; Not interested, and another (can't remember). They checked off the things they were interested in and sent it back to us, knowing that if more than one wanted an item we would determine who got it. We were able to disperse a lot of our heirlooms, etc. before the move. The things that we are still using have been identified and the girls all know who gets them in the final decision. Saved tons of time and effort and many problems that can arise when dispensing family goodies.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:18 AM

1. My red, white, blue, cream, tan, beige, yellow, and gold will go to the state coordinator for Quilts of Valor to be distributed to various GA QOV groups who are prolific in the quilts they've completed and awarded.
2. Anything that is a children's print, colors, etc. given to Project Linus and/or Sadie's Dream for a Cure.
3. The rest is to be donated to quilt guild to be used for charity quilts.
4. Machines and rest of supplies/patterns/books are granddaughter's to decide how she wants to use/donate/sell them.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:04 AM

My plan has been and will continue to be that I need to go through things and downsize. I have tried unsuccessfully for almost 8 years (widowed 3/10). I go through spurts and then get side-tracked or busy with subbing. I am 65 but I am really feeling the need to have less ‘stuff’.

My sewing goal is to go through the magazines, books, and patterns this winter. I have already started a box for donations. I will either give them to Salvation Army or to my church’s youth fundraiser in May.

My youngest son knows the value of my machine purchased last April and both sons know I volunteer with 2 groups that can use the fabric.

Time to go and use more of that fabric stash! Lol!

Connie
Old 12-31-2017, 11:26 AM

First, I am fortunate that both my niece and her daughter are interested in quilting and will take most of what I have. Any duplicates of tools, etc., they have promised to donate to a quilting guild so they can be given/sold to members, hopefully.

Second, I am moving in the summer to central Texas and am starting to go through all my UFOs and other projects as well as fabric, tools, rulers, templates, etc. The cost of moving all that is something I don't want to even guesstimate. I will have them look at the "go away" pile and take what they want and donate to a guild or give to a thrift store the rest. Or maybe post it on my neighborhood web page.

I have really tried to hold back on buying anything new but there are some things that have crept in. But as I go through stuff and realize how much I do have, it is easier and easier to resist the temptations!
Old 12-31-2017, 11:29 AM

One of my grandaughters told me she wanted to learn how to quilt so she will get first choice of fabric, tools and machines. Anything left over will go to my guild.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:54 AM

Nobody in my family sews or quilts. My daughter is a minimalist and would toss everything in my sewing room. I have written instructions of what I would like done with my "treasures"! My sewing bee would be welcome to fabric, books, tools, and patterns. What they don't want they will donate to my guild. I have a whole room full of Horne furniture and several nice machines that they will be sold. You know after I'm gone - I'm gone. I'm sure whomever ends up with my things will enjoy them.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:08 PM

Before I moved last year, a charity sewing group to which I belonged was the recipient of anything family members did not want, and my family knew and was okay with that.
Since moving, have not made a specific plan... maybe that should be on my 2018 to-do list?
Old 12-31-2017, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

I don't have a stash - just a few small piles. It I have a lot of machines and notions. The women I Quilt with at the local quilt shop have agreed to handle it all and I trust them to do the right thing. Whether give the machines to those in need or use the fabrics for donation quilts etc. My family is aware.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:33 PM

This thread makes me feel guilty and overwhelmed because when my mother passed away we were quite daunted by all her stuff (but not much sewing stuff - just a machine that I still have and love). She had downsized radically, which we have not done yet, and at 70 I'm 3 years older than she was when she passed! I have mentioned to the kids to donate to the quilt guild, but even just getting it packaged up and removed will be a huge undertaking. Downsizing and reorganizing some things will definitely be my main resolution for the new year, as always!