Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who gets your stash when you are 'gone'?

Blog Entries

Who gets your stash when you are 'gone'?

I was looking over the Goals for 2018 thread and a couple posted that their kids had encouraged them to purge their stash so they kids did not have to when they were gone.

So what are you plans for your stash, machines, tools, books etc?

Me, I wrote it into my will, I belong to two MQG and they will get the job of sorting, using, selling etc everything in the sewing rooms. Yes, rooms, the HQ 16 is in another room, as Diana does not fit in my sewing room.

I have also made sure the kids know that is the plan.

Now I am in my early 50's and hope to be around another 30+ years, but it is important to plan.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I have quite a stash of fabrics and threads not to mention my machines though I have downsized them to just 4 from 6. No one in my family sews so I told my quilting neighbor that if I die before she does, come take what you want as my sister (if she's still around) will have to deal with it. She loves to feel the fabrics but that's as far as it goes. She also doesn't mind me making things for her either. I'm only 65 and in good health so as long as I don't get hit by a car or worse I should be here for a long time to come.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    Goodwill from where I got a lot of it! And was glad others had donated there.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I have no specific plan. I have a sister who has just begun to "dabble" in quilting, so she could have it, or Goodwill. My friend who quilts has 10 times more than I have, and says she doesn't want it! (I get hers though). I plan to spend the first few weeks of 2018 re-organizing. Things have gotten out of hand! My dining room is my sewing room, so I need a better system for quick clean-up. I'm at my limit with 12 tubs of fabric.

I have sewn all my life, kids grew up around it. Taught daughter (son can but doesn't) and 3 of 4 grands. I m now 74 and hope to be around along time. I feel like they have to go through my jewelry, pots, pans, dishes, linens, take cre of the car, house, etc. Why should I worry about fabric and machines? One more chore, and they know about my guilds. They will help. I plan to enjoy all I have for as long as I can. IF it gets to the point I no longer can enjoy, then I might start to parcel it out to friends, charity, guild, etc. Not my monkeys, not my circus when I am gone. Just something more to make them think about me and miss me!

Power Poster
    My daughter and daughter in law will inherit my machines and stash. What they do with it, is up to them.

I hope to be more organized and I am gradually getting better. One granddaughter may be interested but she is only 11 now, so time will tell. I have a small group I sew with so if family doesn't want stuff I will pass on to them or guild. I plan that if my health deteriorates or eyesight, or interest to get rid of extra sewing machines etc. I do want to quilt as long as can, but I absolutely do not want to leave a mess for anyone else to deal with after I am gone.
    Peggy

"Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are."
    -Chinese proverb
    http://peggybsquilting.blogspot.com/

I am 75 year old now, and have had sight problems, left eye is blind due to optic nerve blow out in 1999 and DD has asked me to downsize the house referring to my stash. After getting rid of a bunch of it, I regretted it. Why should I not enjoy it for as long as I can? It is still my life, my rules and my ways as long as I am in my right mind and love to quilt! And when I go, it will be some one's else problem. Namely, DD's problem. Meanwhile, I can 'gift' what I want to, to special people and charities.

So I still buy fabrics that appeal to me and patterns, too. I take one day at a time and count my blessings for having lived this long. Father died at 43 and Mother at 63. Whatever will be, will be and "I ain't goin' worry" about it... Lord will decide when its my time to go. Women are still sewing when they are 100 or more, so why quit something that we enjoy?? Seize the moment and enjoy every second!

I also had seen posts regarding "when you're gone", and that really made me look (AGAIN!!) at my stash.

I am on both the Fabric Moratorium challenge and the UFO challenge, and those comments gave me the impetus for "renewed commitment" to both of those.

I will probably have to write in the will what the resale value of my longarm and other sewing machines are worth, so they don't just dump everything off at Goodwill. And the books? And the patterns? OMG.
    They should at least bring enough to pay for my funeral, right?

I mentioned just a little while ago on the UFO challenge that I have 11 UFO's, 7 kits, 1 commission, and 2 (one of which is yet another UFO) that I hope to finish for MQX. Of course, that's what is out and around my sewing room... that does NOT count the stuff in totes and the closet.

So, since my daughter lives 3 1/2 hours away, and does not quilt, and none of the men in the family have a clue, I have decided to "shop my stash" as much as possible until this is at a more manageable level. And every time I drool over some new fabric, I will put that $$ in a piggy bank for when the fabric level DOES get lower. I have begun to change my thinking from "I want that" to "do I need that?". And I must admit, I'm doing better... I'm deleting the fabric store emails without even reading them, and just not "dropping by" the LQS. If I have a valid need (the commission quilt for example), then yes, I will support my LQS's (there are multiple within a decent driving area), but otherwise, I'm not spending any more.
    Leta in Upstate SC

Blog Entries
    fellow quilters, quilt guilds, charities. anyone my Son can find.

My sister-in-law will get my goodies and I hers if she passes before me. She's a big time quilter and got me re-energized in quilting after 30 years.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

My sister or the church or both. Our little church group makes a lot of quilts to raffle for charity. They would make very good use of my stuff.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

My two DDs have said they want nothing but the quilts I have made. Not the fabric, thread, books, sewing machines or notions. My only granddaughter will get my white Featherweight as she learned to sew using it. I hope to be around until I know it's time to get rid of all my things my way. If not then my DDs will donate it all to Salvation Army. I use to work for SA so I know where the money goes and it's not in the pockets of the officers.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
    I am 75 year old now, and have had sight problems, left eye is blind due to optic nerve blow out in 1999 and DD has asked me to downsize the house referring to my stash. After getting rid of a bunch of it, I regretted it. Why should I not enjoy it for as long as I can? It is still my life, my rules and my ways as long as I am in my right mind and love to quilt! And when I go, it will be some one's else problem. Namely, DD's problem. Meanwhile, I can 'gift' what I want to, to special people and charities.

So I still buy fabrics that appeal to me and patterns, too. I take one day at a time and count my blessings for having lived this long. Father died at 43 and Mother at 63. Whatever will be, will be and "I ain't goin' worry" about it... Lord will decide when its my time to go. Women are still sewing when they are 100 or more, so why quit something that we enjoy?? Seize the moment and enjoy every second!
    I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I plan to use my stuff for at least another 50 years or so, but if something were to happen, my mom, sister, and sister-in-law can pick out anything they want, then the rest goes to the ladies I quilt with, and they can put whatever they don't want in the stash at the Senior Center.
    If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough!

I am trying to use as much of my fabrics I can. I have for the past year been trying to use up my Daughters scraps, adding in my fanrics where needed. My Daughter has as much fabrics as I have. Two Granddaughters have no interest in sewing. I don't plan on getting rid of anything. I have told them if I have to die then they will have to get rid of my stuff. They are okay with that.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I told my BF everything is hers if something happens to me. I have a Bernina in a sewing cabinet my DH built, Featherweight, cutting island, ironing station from a Harbour Freight workbench and an Avante. I have a stash but almost all of it was bought for quilt patterns. Basically I made my own kits and also most of them have fabric for backing. I also told her hopefully it will all be used up before I'm gone!

QuiltingNinaSue, I feel the exact same way. My sewing and the embroidery gives me great pleasure. I am 63 and neither of my daughters have an interest in sewing. My youngest knows how to sew and will if she has to but considering it as a hobby - no way. My eldest daughter told me I had to live forever so I can do the mending. My DH feels the same way - his hobby is collecting movies and he plays the drum. There is a full drum set in the front room. He plays drums at the church and from time to time sits in with friends bands (he is 65).

I have no idea when I am going to pass but I am not going to waste my time worrying about it when I can spend the time having fun with my fabrics, threads and machines.

I just turned 76 and for the most part am healthy..today..don't know about tomorrow. My youngest DD will take my HQ16, and my newest (2014) Kenmore, oldest GD will get my 221 FW, my little GD already has my toy Stitch Mistress, I will try to sell my Singer treadle, the other machine can go to the guild or thrift. DD will take care of the fabric, quilts and supplies as she sees fit. Oldest DD has no interest in sewing or sewing stuff.

But the only stuff I am trying to get rid of is fabric that I dislike..only thing is, I dislike it today and tomorrow when I see it in the get rid of pile I begin to like it again.

I have been thinking about this very same thing. I decided i would write a note and attach it to the will stating how much the machines etc are worth and to not just give them to Goodwill.

I'm 62 and I have TONS of fabric, patterns, books, floss and yarn. I told my kids I stocked up for retirement. So, I've been using what I have and only buy to fill in where I need it. I went through my address book and put 'Quilting Friend' by my friends that quilt. Hopefully the items would go to some of them. OR my son said he was putting a dump truck up to the window, nice guy.
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?
    Kathy

This is an easy one. I have one daughter who is a quilter. She will be in charge my quilting room. I suspect that she will sort through what I have that she wants and will hopefully disperse the rest to my quilt guild members. Our quilting style is very different so I suspect most of my fabric will find homes with other quilters. I am considering designating my feather weight to a granddaughter who has some interest in quilting but at 14 she has years to grow and develop her own interests.

I hope, as many of you do too, that my stash will be diminished and my wishes known well before I am gone. Yes, talk to your family so they know what you would want done and put it in writing in your will or trust plans.

We will be moving into a townhome in a couple of months and I am slowly downsizing fabric and patterns. I feel I don't have an abundance of either but will still downsize. I will have room in the townhome but not a whole floor with 4 rooms (a big farmhouse) like I have now, will just have to do things a little different. My daughter and 2 granddaughters will have to deal with my quilting things but I am going to get rid of things as I can. I don't feel I have to worry about it so much. If daughter and granddaughters don't want things, they are to give fabric and patterns to my quilt group.

Blog Entries
    I am using what I have and hope my church quilting group and guild will be able to use or sell (and keep the $$) my fabrics and notions. I have 2 FWs and 2 Pfaffs and hope to sell those with the rest of my stuff in an estate sale. Son lives near Seattle and his wife doesn’t sew. One of the FWs was my MILs, so I may be able to find someone on the husband’s side who wants that.
    Edited to add: The more difficult thing is what to do with my quilts. All are family quilts and I will have both mine and my mother’s. Some made by my great-grandmother and grandmother so some go back to the Great Depression years and are hand quilted. A few have been well loved and some are in wonderful condition.
    Last edited by coopah; 12-31-2017 at 05:44 AM.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I have what I call is "mom's wish list" stating what I want done with my quilting supplies. What my friends don't want take to the senior center where I take a lot of my fabric I no longer want. They do a lot of charity work and are always glad when I make a donation of fabric and books.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast