Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who has a Brother XL3750 sewing machine?

Hi there! As a lot of you probably already know from my many posts, I have been having a terrible time with my sewing machines. I have one here now that works half the time that I'm using, but it is soooo aggravating and disappointing.

Well! Guess what happened this morning? My DH said that he is going to buy me a new sewing machine. Well, actually maybe 2! I have to find out where I can test drive some around here first and decide what I want for sure. I have read every post on here that comes up doing multiple searches on sewing machines. I will try out several brands but I am thinking maybe a Janome or a Brother.

I will take my "sandwich size quilt sandwiches" with me to practice on and some 2 1/2" squares, as my old sewing machine had problems with thickness when I tried making 8 point stars for my Carpenter's Stars. Anyways, I saw this morning that one member on here mentioned having a Brother XL 3750, with the extension table. That is the kind of machine that I bought for each of my daughters. Problem is, neither of them have had much time for using them to see if they are really worth buying.

So, here's my question. Who out there has this sewing machine? I am going to buy one for me to use until I can get a really good one somewhere later. I will need a backup sewing machine anyways. They have them at amazon.com for little money but I would like to know how they perform before I buy one if possible. (Make sure that it's worth it.)

If you have this machine or know anyone who does, and know how it works, I'd love to hear from you. Thanking you all in advance.

Marilyn

I don't have this machine, but check overstock.com after you have test driven them. They have great deals on new and refurbished machines (that come with 20 year warranties) and shipping is only $2.95.

On looking at this machine, my main concern would be the space of the throat.

You have a great plan, taking your quilt sandwiches to try them out on as well as the squares that gave you a problem on previous machines. You are certainly a serious shopper and well prepared.

Good luck and enjoy the search experience.

Thank you nursie76. The sandwiches are actually a tip from reading posts on here all day. The 2 1/2" squares is so that I don't have the same problems again.

You are welcome! Can't wait to see what you decide to get!

Lucky you, maybe 2? Now that is a great hubby! Cant wait to hear what ya pick!

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Lucky you, maybe 2? Now that is a great hubby! Cant wait to hear what ya pick!
    I totally agree! I was going to take my old one to the repair shop and try to get it fixed. He said just get a new one to use
    and then have as a back up instead. Pretty cool!

Blog Entries
    I don't have that machine , but I do have 3 Brothers and love them all :lol:

One seems to be pretty popular here on the board is the Brother SC6000i WalMart.com has them for about $160.00 just a thought :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by danmar
    Hi there! As a lot of you probably already know from my many posts, I have been having a terrible time with my sewing machines. I have one here now that works half the time that I'm using, but it is soooo aggravating and disappointing.

Well! Guess what happened this morning? My DH said that he is going to buy me a new sewing machine. Well, actually maybe 2! I have to find out where I can test drive some around here first and decide what I want for sure. I have read every post on here that comes up doing multiple searches on sewing machines. I will try out several brands but I am thinking maybe a Janome or a Brother.

I will take my "sandwich size quilt sandwiches" with me to practice on and some 2 1/2" squares, as my old sewing machine had problems with thickness when I tried making 8 point stars for my Carpenter's Stars. Anyways, I saw this morning that one member on here mentioned having a Brother XL 3750, with the extension table. That is the kind of machine that I bought for each of my daughters. Problem is, neither of them have had much time for using them to see if they are really worth buying.

So, here's my question. Who out there has this sewing machine? I am going to buy one for me to use until I can get a really good one somewhere later. I will need a backup sewing machine anyways. They have them at amazon.com for little money but I would like to know how they perform before I buy one if possible. (Make sure that it's worth it.)

If you have this machine or know anyone who does, and know how it works, I'd love to hear from you. Thanking you all in advance.

Marilyn
    Marilyn...I don't know much about the Brother except that is is supposed to be very good, too. Eddie got the Brother QC-1000. Maybe he knows something about the one you are talking about since he probably did some research, too, before he got his. This probably won't help much, but I hope you get a new machine soon. I get sooo frustrated and short tempered when my machine keeps messing up. Kind of defeats the purpose of quilting, taking all the fun out of it while fighting with the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Hawk

Marilyn
    Marilyn...I don't know much about the Brother except that is is supposed to be very good, too. Eddie got the Brother QC-1000. Maybe he knows something about the one you are talking about since he probably did some research, too, before he got his. This probably won't help much, but I hope you get a new machine soon. I get sooo frustrated and short tempered when my machine keeps messing up. Kind of defeats the purpose of quilting, taking all the fun out of it while fighting with the machine.
    Thanks, Eagle Hawk. I agree completely that it defeats the purpose of quilting. I just get so frustrated that I haven't been sewing hardly any. It's easier to not sew than have all the aggravation of 'trying' to sew.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I don't have that machine , but I do have 3 Brothers and love them all :lol:

One seems to be pretty popular here on the board is the Brother SC6000i WalMart.com has them for about $160.00 just a thought :wink:
    Thank You very much Sharon. I'll check that out.

I ordered my brother on line from Costco and I love it. It's an on line buy only.

Thank you everybody for your help and information. I have decided to order the Brother CS-6000i Computerized sewing machine with 60 stitches and oversized table. I can't wait to get it and try it out!!! I am soooo happy!!! It is #1 on 4 out of 5 review websites I found online. It is #2 on one of them. (#1 being the Brother SL-2600i) It has alot of features, great reviews and the price is right.

Thank you again.
    Marilyn

Blog Entries
    Marilyn, I just got an email from Amazon.com. They have the CS6000i on sale for $149 and free shipping, if you haven't already ordered it somewhere else.

Brothers are great machines. I have two that I just love.

I am glad you have decided on a machine. Looks like Walmart has it for $149 also and you can have it shipped to the store for free.

Don't forget to post pics when you get your new toy!

Hi Judy G and nursie 76!

Thank you for looking! I saw it at Wal Mart too but shipping site to store will take up to 2 weeks it says, by 6/15! Too slow!!! I want it yesterday. Plus, $11.25 tax, for $160.25. I will check on ordering it through Amazon then, as there is no tax and may be faster. I can't wait now!!! I want to sew sooooo bad, without headaches! I will post pictures when I get her.

Marilyn

Hi Judy G and nursie 76!

Thank you for looking! I saw it at Wal Mart too but shipping site to store will take up to 2 weeks it says, by 6/15! Too slow!!! I want it yesterday. Plus, $11.25 tax, for $160.25. I will check on ordering it through Amazon then, as there is no tax and may be faster. I can't wait now!!! I want to sew sooooo bad, without headaches! I will post pictures when I get her.

Marilyn
    I can understand you being in a hurry. When you finally make a decision you want it now!!!! (or yesterday :wink: )

I see you can get free shipping with Amazon, but that might take you too long (although stuff usually comes quicker than they tell you) but maybe you could take what you would spend on tax, add a little and get 2 day shipping....oooooh, this is soooo exciting!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    I see you can get free shipping with Amazon, but that might take you too long (although stuff usually comes quicker than they tell you) but maybe you could take what you would spend on tax, add a little and get 2 day shipping....oooooh, this is soooo exciting!!!
    You can get 2 day shipping at Amazon for free if you sign up for their Amazon Prime program. It is a 30 day free trial, so you just have to remember to cancel it within 30 days. I am sure you can only do that once, but gee, if it would get your machine to you quickly, go for it.

I see that WalMart has a program where you pay $29 and for 1 year get free express to store shipping on all your orders. Just FYI

Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Hi Judy G and nursie 76!

Marilyn
    I can understand you being in a hurry. When you finally make a decision you want it now!!!! (or yesterday :wink: )

Hi nursie!
    I am sooooo anxious to get the new machine now, especially since I've decided what I want. It seems like 'forever' since I have been able to just sew and enjoy it without problems. I just looked on 'My Experimental Bargello' and my sewing machine quit on March 30th. That is 2 months that I have been dealing with problems and aggravation. It is past time to get a new machine and start enjoying quilting again. Now, I have to wait. Not fun. I am going to check out the shipping costs and see about the faster shipping. I am soooo excited!!! I can't wait. I'll be at the bank tomorrow when it opens to put the money in, so I can order it. WHOO WHO!!!!!! I feel like a little kid at Christmas time.

I sooo understand how frustrating it is to fight with a machine that isn't working properly when all you want to do is sew.

In December of 2008 I graduated with my Masters and finally had time to get back into sewing and restart quilting that I had learned just prior to returning to school. I hadn't done much sewing since 2001 and when I tried to use my older Singer, it just wasn't a go (I still have her and will get her fixed) and I wanted to start now! So DH ordered a newer Singer Quilter model...Bleck, she and I just didn't get along, but by January, I did manage to wrestle a flannel quilt out of her. I was soooo frustrated! So in July of last year, DH heard about some used Berninas for sale at the craft dept at the college where he worked. We decided to go to a Bernina dealers to see what this model looked and sewed like...well.....DH talked me into a used Bernina 440QE, and in March of this year at the Lancaster, PA quilt showed he talked me into an upgrade of a demo 730. I love it. However, he also got me a Brother CE4000 to use to piece while the other is embroidering and I was impressed with the machine. It does a fine job on piecing and has about 30 fancy 7mm stitches which stitch out very nicely. I am sure you will love your Brother, and you will have even more stitches which just makes it all the more fun!!! I can't wait to see what you will make when the machine prompts your creative juices to flow!!!

Congrats! Don't forget pics of the new baby!

You can count on the pictures nursie! I just can't wait to post them!!! I'm glad that you got a nice sewing machine. There is nothing more frustrating than to want to sew and know that it is going to be a horrible experience. I'll talk to you later,
    Marilyn

Enjoy the rest of your Memorial day day dreaming of your new machine and all the wonderful sewing experiences to come. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the Brother CS6000i Club :thumbup: LOL

Hi everybody! I did it!!! I ordered the Brother CS-6000i today. They didn't have it in Iola. I did the 30 day free trial thing and paid the difference and got the overnight shipping on it. It has already shipped and I should get it tomorrow. YEAAAAAH!!!! I can't wait!

Marilyn

Hi everybody! I did it!!! I ordered the Brother CS-6000i today. They didn't have it in Iola. I did the 30 day free trial thing and paid the difference and got the overnight shipping on it. It has already shipped and I should get it tomorrow. YEAAAAAH!!!! I can't wait!

Marilyn
    Totally AWESOME!!! :thumbup:
    Don't forget pics!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast