Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Who Knew Quilters Were Wrestlers, Too?

Blog Entries
    Okay taking a break from working on my Easter table runner. As I am stitiching in the ditch on the machine I am reminded why I hate machine quilting so much.
    1. I hate the sewing extenision table that comes with the machine. Everything gets caught on the rounded corners and I am always having to readjust what I am working on. All the stopping and starting gets on my nerves.
    2. I hate having to wrestle with what ever I am working on.
    At least when I am hand quilting it is easier to adjust the project.
    I guess to each his own. I am machine quilting this one because I do not have time to finish by hand.
    This just proves that I am a hand quilter at heart.
    Thanks for listening.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Oh dear, I'm just learning MQ after spending my whole quilting life hand quilting!! :D:D

I wish that I knew how to hand quilt! :?

Blog Entries
    GOd BLess you hand quilters! Honestly! I love the way hand quilting looks.....but I don't have the patience.

Keep your chin up. AT least is a table topper and not a king size quilt. See there is always a bright side? :thumbup:

I also have tremendous respect for hand quilters. As for machine quilting on a DSM, it really helps if you have a machine that settles down into a large table, rather than using the sewing extension table. It is also much easier if you machine quilt in sections. Marti Michell's book is great for explaining how to do that.

Vent away!

np3
    Blog Entries
    When the hand can't do it any more, thank goodness for the machine for FMQ. I HATE SID but love to FMQ.

I love hand quilted quilts. I wish I could see well enough to try hand quilting. With this md in my left eye I'm blessed just to be able to machine quilt. Practice, practice, practice.LOL

Blog Entries
    Reminds me of sailing vs motor boating.

Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    Okay taking a break from working on my Easter table runner. As I am stitiching in the ditch on the machine I am reminded why I hate machine quilting so much.
    1. I hate the sewing extenision table that comes with the machine. Everything gets caught on the rounded corners and I am always having to readjust what I am working on. All the stopping and starting gets on my nerves.
    I guess to each his own. I am machine quilting this one because I do not have time to finish by hand.
    Thanks for listening.
    That's me exactly. I tried MQ on a baby quilt 3 years ago. Ended up ripping it out and just tying it. Didn't have time to hand quilt.

I would love to be able to finish a quilt as fast as others do, but I just have to hand quilt. And there is a part of me that likes the tradition of a hand quilted quilt.

Hand quilting is easy. If you can hand sew a straight seam, you can hand quilt. It is just using smaller needles and smaller stitches.

It takes a lot of time to hand quilt, but thats all i know, and it takes time to build up these callouses on my finger tips..

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    But the problem with hand quilting is the time it takes. I will always have a project going but I want to MQ so I can churn out more quilts!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Dunster, thanks for the book tip!! I've been wanting to get one.

I have a hand embroidered quilt that my mom started and I finished the embroidery. I decided to hand quilt it. It is my first hand quilting. I decided to do lap quilting since I don't have a frame and I work on it when we travel. My hubby likes road trips and does most of the driving. At this point it has almost 30,000 miles on it.
    I do my own machine quilting on a regular sewing machine. The first 2 were baby quilts, the next one was a king size. It just takes practice to get it all working easily and a large table helps. I've been dooing it now for 10 years.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sold on MQ have always Hand Quilted. But would like to whip out a few Baby Quilts quickly. Wish I had time to hand quilt them all, but I feel bad giving a baby quilt to a 2 year old!! LOL So far I've only machine quilted two that I had to give away, because I knew the receiver expected some kind of gift.!! They were still pretty, but not my best work. My family doesn't mind getting quilts a little late, and luckily, I do manage to finish before the baby is two! :)

I really love hand quilting but sometimes I need a quilt for a quick gift and that I machine quilt on my domestic sewing machine. My machine quilting is far from perfect, but I'm getting so much more comfortable with it now. All the practicing did make all the difference in the world.

I have tried hand quilting and did very poorly at it. Also my cataracts don't make it easy. I respect and adore hand quilted quilts and really wish there were more of them - I think they are more valuable then machine quilted ones. I have a mid arm and FMQ all my quilts but they sure aren't as beautiful as the hand quilted ones.

I love to handquilt. But usually MQ so I can get the quilt finished. Handquilting for me requires a frame and I don't have room - tiny house. Haven't tried a standing hoop, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster
    I also have tremendous respect for hand quilters. As for machine quilting on a DSM, it really helps if you have a machine that settles down into a large table, rather than using the sewing extension table. It is also much easier if you machine quilt in sections. Marti Michell's book is great for explaining how to do that.
    I found out yesterday when I quilted a twin size quilt on my machine that is now in a Horn Cabinet how much easier that makes the quilting. Quilting is not my favorite thing, but it was almost fun when I had the right equipment. Mine is "gently used" thus, more affordable. I 'wish' for one in your future. I know exactly what you are talking about when you say the quilt gets caught on the extension table. Mine did too.

Blog Entries
    I love to hand quilt! But - I do appreciate all of you out there who can "wrestle" your fabric into the machine and come up with beautiful quilting! Is this why so many of you look forward to the day when you have a longarm?

I'm going to try to use my machine on my next quilt by using SID. It may send me over the edge and back to hand quilting! :lol:

Thanks for sharing this vent! Many of us are there with you and it's so nice to know we are not alone.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abdconsultant
    Reminds me of sailing vs motor boating.
    So funny. I know what you mean. I like the sailing myself. The other is too fast for me. But I have started sending some out to be longarm quilted because I like it too and the finished "feel" of the quilt is different. 80% of my quilts are hand quilted. I make the time. When I lay out myu quilts to hand stitch, I feel like I am playing the game "Twister", I get tangled up.♥

I admire hand quilters, but your reasons are why I like long arm quilting. I also tend to make queen and king quilts,which are easier to handle on a long arm rather than a domestic machine, at least for me.

Thanks for listening.
    I'm with you girlfriend. Most recently I MQ'd a table runner and I was worn out afterward, felt like I had wrestled and alligator.

Thanks for listening.
    I HATE SITD! Anything larger than a placemat, I free-motion, so I don't have to wrestle so much!

Thanks for listening.
    How large is the extension table? I know this happens to me when I have to use the one that came with my machine, but I got a larger one and is is usually not a problem. At home my machine recesses into my sewing table.