Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who knew quilting on my machine could be so much fun.

Who knew quilting on my machine could be so much fun.

I have had a HORRIBLE couple of weeks. So Now that I am feeling better I thought I should get some quilts done. I sandwiched a quilt and I thought I would just quilt on my machine.

I am having so much fun. It looks like an amateur did it..but I need to learn somewhere and I am having fun

We all have to start somewhere right..LOL
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-16-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Good for you! Congratulations! Now if I could only follow your example, especially since I have purchased all of the bells and whistles required to FMQ on my sewing machine. Be sure to let us know how you progress with your quilting.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the hum of a sewing machine can soothe a lot of anxiety and stress.

I too am only learning how to FMQ on my DSM. I am not as courageous as you. I am using sandwich squares of muslin. Did you realize how good playing with FMQ would be good for anxiety? Takes your mind right off the stuff we should let go!
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Power Poster
    Good for you! I like doing FMQ on my domestic machine too. The more you do, the better you get.

You are a lot braver than I am ... I really want to quilt my own quilts, but am afraid to start. You've encouraged me ... think I may give it a try. I have been saving the edges I cut off my quilts when I have them quilted. Think I will start with those sandwiches.

Stepht, hugs to you. I am glad that you are feeling better.

I started FMQ with tiny 6 inch sandwiches of kids fabric. I also made sure that I used a very thin batting. It's been a lot of fun and I have definitely learned a few things:

-for some reason, I FMQ better from the bottom left than from the top.
    -I do a better job when I stop thinking so darn much!!!
    -So what if my tension is not even--the dang thing still stays together!
    -Use a thread that contrasts with the fabric--MUCH easier on the eyes!
    -Did you know that there are 'machine quilting' needles?? They actually make it easier!
    -Going slower does NOT make the stitches more uniform, just closer together. But thank goodness for variable speed control on my Janome or else I think I would have sewn over my fingers!

Since I had such small blocks, I decided to kill two birds and try putting them together using the reversible quilt method (I think it's a tutorial on this site). Again, my seams on the reverse side are not completely even but I didn't miss the sashing either. Eventually the DGD's will have dolly blankets and I will have become brave enough to tackle the 90 (yes that is ninety!!) 12 inch pieced oriental blocks that are waiting for my ability and experience to catch up with the picture in my head.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Awesome!!!!

Blog Entries
    It takes practise . A friend did pencil practise for ages on one pattern until she was doing it eyes closed. Then went straight to her bernina quilt control thing and made a wonderful prac pattern. It will suddenly click in the brain and the coordination comes . It's a bit like tapping your head and rubbing tummy. It is a wonderful time when you can go FMQ.
    Finished is better than a UFO

When i machine quilt, i get " eye lashes" sometimes on the back of the quilt. What am I doing wrong? Can any one help me? Thank you!

Congrats, Steph. I had fear of FM but one day just plunged right in. My FM is still not where I want it to be but I overcame the mystic and am having so much fun. The quilting has become one of my favorite parts of making a quilt.

That's the way to learn, I'm doing the same thing, even made some crazy daises in the board of one for a grand daughter. Keep having fun when it's not fun then it's work..
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Quote Originally Posted by Mommomjoann View Post
    When i machine quilt, i get " eye lashes" sometimes on the back of the quilt. What am I doing wrong? Can any one help me? Thank you!

The tension may be incorrect... experiment with correcting the tension on top first and then if needed, correct it on the bottom. Good luck!

Eyelashes can also be caused by mis-communication between hands and machine speed. If you're pushing down the foot pedal and the machine is going at full speed, but your hands are moving the quilt sandwich slowly (or vice-versa), you can create eyelashes.

Good for you and I know you are going to love FMQ. You would not believe the number of Trivets I have in a drawer that were practice pieces. (Nobody knows but me how bad they really are) and can also be used as pot holders in a pinch. Just relax with it and above all have fun

Blog Entries
    well, here is one more thing I LOVE about this board... we get to celebrate even the (what we think are) little things... that, on reflection, often turn out to be pretty important!! You have given me inspiration to "start somewhere!" When I finish the top I'm working on now, I shall do just that... START!!!! My plan is to cross-hatch quilt the center... and FMQ the borders... I chose busy fabric for the borders, so that will help my confidence, I think..

Thanks for the "push!" And glad you are better!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Blog Entries
    Yes, we all do start some where. Starting is the hardest thing to do. But after you get going there is no stopping! My heart always hurts a little when people make statements about not doing things, "I can't do that." You have already failed if you don't even try.

I am so happy for you that you are having fun.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

"It's not how far we have to go that's important, it's how far we've already come." Dr. Abraham Low
    And the first step is is always the hardest. Congradulation

Good for you! I, too, am a beginner when it comes to FMQ. My first step beyond STID and straight lines was to follow the tracing of a couple of stencils I made. They were a large and a small daisy-like flower shape and a leaf shape, both of which were in the fabric. The background was pink and I used pink thread so it wasn't too obvious.
    Next I did stippling on the busy background of another quilt. This was after a LOT of practice drawing it on a white board and erasing, drawing and erasing, drawing and erasing. And then stitching on lots and lots of practice squares. It did get easier. Again, the thread matched the background well so nothing was too obvious.
    Now I'm making a baby quilt with a variety of very bright squares interspersed with white patches of alphabet letters and pictures. No matter what color I use for the quilting, it will show a lot. I'm thinking of doing loops with maybe one heart.
    I'll be practicing on the white board and sandwiches before I tackle the quilt!

What kind of quilting are you doing? I want to eventually tackle feathers. I did a small wall hanging that has a large heart-shaped feather in the middle, but this was hand quilted as part of a class.

Good luck in your future endeavors!
    Anne P
    Kindness counts.

That's how I started FMQ too! I don't have time to practice on anything but the real thing so I just started with the meandering on an Antique Teddy Bear baby quilt. It came out awesome! Now I'm taking a class on feathers and oh yes, always on my home sewing machine! It is quite liberating!
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

This is the way we learn. Personally, I had rather do my own quilting, even with the mistakes, than to send it out. I like the whole process of quilting...like to be in control. (or sometimes it seems to control me

Quote Originally Posted by Mommomjoann View Post
    I would also unthread the machine, make sure my pressure foot is up, and rethread.

Blog Entries
    That's exactly what I have started to do a couple of days ago: trying to learn FMQ on a real quilt. my right thumb does not want me to handquilt anymore so I have no choice but to jump right in learning FMQ. I agree with you that we have to start somewhere loll

Yes, we all start somewhere, and it is at the beginning! I am so happy to hear your quilting is therapy for you. Hope everything else gets better real soon! I have been having a rough patch myself since my Mom passed away in April and my quilting has been a Godsend for me during those really tearful times.
    Michelle Guadarrama

Michelle, so sorry about your loss. Glad your finding some comfort in your sewing room. The best to you and your family.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast