Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who likes to  paper piece? Lets Chit Chat! >

Who likes to paper piece? Lets Chit Chat!

Who likes to paper piece? Lets Chit Chat!

Old 12-14-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by fun2quilt
Here a tutorial on the method, hope it helps...
[http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21] Hope the link works :?
Hi there fun2quilt - I need to ask you some 'silly' questions please. I knew there was a freezer paper paper piecing as i saw it once and never saved the site. SO VERY GLAD TO have found another one. I am hoping you do use this method. When you are ironing your fp onto the material and you go over the folded line into the next block as the point is so small, DOES THIS make a huge problem for when you have to pull it away to then fold and stitch on the line? How does the next piece 'stick' as you have taken some of the part off with the iron on the previous shape? I have not got freezer paper so i cannot try this myself, BUT GETTING A WHOLE box bought back from Aussie for me next month. I am so excited. As i have heard so much about freezer paper applique and now this.
QUESTION - is it NOT EASIER to cut out the shapes individually and then iron them onto your material and then stitch them together? I realise you will loose some of the joins, but one could mark with a PEN??? Just thinking aloud. HELP ME PLEASE... Thanks ;)
Old 12-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Jim

tulip flower basket is a nice easy pattern to use for a beginner
Old 12-14-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
Oh, I also am "doing" the Ula Lenz New York Beauty, How neat is that to find someone else doing it too! 'Course, ... I started it a couple of years ago, then got sidetracked by some life issues, that's why I say "doing" - hmmm...
But seeing this on here makes me jazzed to get it out and get going on it again!
Thanks so much!
This is going to be absolutely stunning. Did you buy the pattern already printed onto the pp paper? Cannot wait to see how it turns out. Just loving that pattern. Well done
Old 12-14-2010, 11:15 PM

I'm excited your doing a New York Beauty. Is it Karen Stones pattern? This was my firsh quilt and I really had a lot of fun with all the different fabrics. I can wait to see your progress!
Here is a pic of mine.[/quote]

This is out of this world. I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING like this. I stick to quilting and small pp, now i am very inspired to do something this year. Must order the book and patterns. Thanks to everyone for sharing your ideas and tips. It has helped me a lot also. New to pp. ;-)
Old 12-14-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago
My first quilt was PP (New York Beauty). Most of my quilts have been PP and a couple of bargellos which is strip piecing. I'm learning all aspects of piecing with the Jane quilt we are doing here on QuiltingBoard and currently working on Japanese Fans by Judy Neimeyer. I think her PP patterns are the easiest to follow and give you templates for pre-cutting your fabrics.
Here is a pic of what I've done so far.
Loving what you have accomplished so far. Am at the moment looking up JUdy Neimeyer books. Appreciate the comments about you finding it easier and templets involved. HAVE YOU FINISHED YET. Please post if you have.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 12-14-2010, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by fun2quilt
Here is a sample of recent pp blocks that I have been working on.
Sometimes I will do a block just to relax and for something different.
Thanks for sharing your pp you have worked on. It is wonderful to build up a supply and then one day you will be able to make a variety of gifts or one really stunning quilt.
Some made curtains for their bathroom. An idea for a couple of these blocks. Put them at the bottom of the curtain for border decoration.
ANOTHER THING I WOULD LOVE TO DO! :cry:
Old 12-28-2010, 05:47 PM

I love paper piecing! I am new to quilting and it seems to make things so much easier for me. This is the kind of patterns I look for.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:54 PM

I love pp anytime I find a pattern I really like it gets made.... when i get my block sections done i baste between the sew line and the cut line then I trim and the fabric doesn't shift on me...works real well and the stitching doesnt show anyplace...you dont have to remove it. Hope this tip helps.

Donna
Old 12-28-2010, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Donna P
I love pp anytime I find a pattern I really like it gets made.... when i get my block sections done i baste between the sew line and the cut line then I trim and the fabric doesn't shift on me...works real well and the stitching doesnt show anyplace...you dont have to remove it. Hope this tip helps.

Donna
Donna that is a wonderful TIP, i am going to try that on my next project. Appreciate any advise i can get. ;)
Old 12-28-2010, 09:25 PM

My avatar is a design I did using paper piecing. Check out Renae Merill's new book. I'm happy my quilt made it into the book. www.ranaemerrillquilts.com