Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is the most frugal quilter?

Who is the most frugal quilter?

Let's have a fun "contest" to find the most frugal quilter on the QB. Is there anyone out there with only one, older sewing machine, uses scissors to cut, makes their own patterns, and re-uses old clothes for fabric?

Though I am very frugal, it wouldn't be me as I have at least 5 machines(or heads) and I do buy fabric on occasion, although I have a big stash of scraps.

So bring on the candidates!!

I'm not eligible. Usually, if I like it, I buy it (within reason).
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Power Poster
    I can act frugal! Does that count?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Nope, not me. If I didn't have all my toys, I probably wouldn't be a quilter. I'd go back to knitting or drawing/painting.

I give it a try by doing scrap quilts. But then I get on this board and get ideas for the next best quilt to make. Joann's must have stock in this board.

I used to be that frugal quilter from necessity, not by choice. I still prefer to up-cycle clothing and shop yard sales and thrift stores for material because it's fun to "make do." I have two machines that were given to me and my two purchased golden oldies @ $ 60 complete with cabinet and a Singer 301A to drag around so I'm totally disqualified.

Discovering rotary cutters and mats was just as liberating as finding out what an equalizer a rechargeable screwdriver and drill could be and the day I got to dump the wringer washer.

Definitely not me this year. In fact I am day dreaming about getting a 10 needle embroidery machine. However, I do have only 1 rotary cutting tool, 1 cutting guide, 1 self-healing mat, 1 serger, 1 treadle which I will probably be selling, my mother's old 201 Singer, my old Pfaff 360 and my Brother 2500D.

Blog Entries
    Not me. I do quilt with a $60 Singer 301 only, though I do own other machines. But I have several rotary cutters, several mats and buy fabric when I 'need' it.

Not me. I went to Joann's today. (I'm currently in the states). I laughed at someone's comment about Joann's having stock in this board. I'm sure that we encourage each other to buy, albeit unwittingly. We also encourage each other to try things we've never ever tried before, or would ever try if we hadn't seen someone here try it.

hmmm... I don't think the frugal quilter would be on the internet, wasting time like the rest of us...

if it weren't for rotary cutters and my machines I wouldn't quilt, its why my first never got finished

Check out some of the blog posts from this lady http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/

She is doing everything as frugally as possible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I can act frugal! Does that count?

I can spell "frugal". That's as close as I get!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Oh, I am! I am the proud owner of 3 sewing machines, but I finally found the one I want to settle down with! I currently have a Singer 206k and a Janome 3022 (I think) for sale... Interested?! I own 2 pair of scissors (large and small), 1 thimble, one rotary cutter. I do have 3 irons, tho. I couldn't resist my last two.. they were $2.50 each!
    As far as my sewing machines, I have spent $650 on sewing machines in the past year... but I've sold all but 3 for $705! And I just gave one to my mother for Mother's Day.
    My enormous sewing desk was free for picking up. My cutting table was free.

I splurge on quilt tops already made. I am hoping to find someone who will trade tops for quilting with me and save even more. Oh, I only buy batting when it's 40% off (or better). I do have a LOT of thread that I need to use up and I bought it inexpensively.
    My stash is mostly recycled clothing. Some is actual "fabric" that has been donated to me. Some is stuff I've picked up at yard sales. I don't need a stash, tho and will probably end up Paying it Forward some day.
    All in all, I've probably spent $300 on what I have right now. I have enough to make 7 quilts. I plan on giving 6 of them as Christmas gifts, which will save me about $600 on gifts this year!! So my hobby is not costing me as much as you'd think!

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    I do have a LOT of thread that I need to use up and I bought it inexpensively.
    Oooooh, ooooh!!! I've been using up bits and pieces of odd spools of thread and bobbins, on parts of things that won't show! That ought to count for something!

Blog Entries
    I checked out that frugal link and have decided I am too OLD to be frugal!!!

I can trace my lack of frugality back to 1980 , the year I discovered the rotary cutter. Before that it was all sissors and templates.. an just the cutting took forever! After the rotary cutter ... I had to keep finding the lastest and greatest "stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    hmmm... I don't think the frugal quilter would be on the internet, wasting time like the rest of us...
    Exactly what I was thinking!
    Have a happy day,

Fran

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    Let's have a fun "contest" to find the most frugal quilter on the QB. Is there anyone out there with only one, older sewing machine, uses scissors to cut, makes their own patterns, and re-uses old clothes for fabric?

Though I am very frugal, it wouldn't be me as I have at least 5 machines(or heads) and I do buy fabric on occasion, although I have a big stash of scraps.

So bring on the candidates!!
    Just clothing??????? I use a lot of repurposed fabric, but I also buy a lot new.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

OOooooooo I'm not even in the running, although I do recycle jeans and ties and such. To many machines and new fabrics, even though I got it at 50% off or better.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

I am about as far from frugal as I can be. Just ask my DH. lol
    Sue

Blog Entries
    Okay, if this would have been posted three years ago then I most definitely would have been in the running. The first quilt I ever made was for my cousins baby. I borrowed a machine as I didnt own one, I used a pair of regular kitchen shears to cut up my own childrens old baby clothes to make this quilt. Then when I need a certain shape so I could piece the block I drew it out on cardboard from whatever shoebox I could find and then cut it out with the same shears that I was using for the fabric then pieced it all. So, yes I used to be very frugal because I had no choice. Now fast forward to 4 months ago. I purchased a new machine, set up a sewing nook, and now have a stash that although not huge would have been a dream three years ago. I still like to think I am frugal but lets be real there is no such thing as frugal when youre a fabric addict. LOL.

Can I try out for this AFTER I use my Joannes coupons tomorrow???

I would have to say I'm 50% frugal and 50% not. Kudos to the quilters on this board who have come up with huge money saving ways and means. Coffee filters for stabilizer, chalk backing tubing for pinmoors, carpet blades for rotary cutters, recycling containers for storage, homemade ironing board, and the list goes on and on. I save so much money from their innovative ideas that I'm able to buy more fabric. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I checked out that frugal link and have decided I am too OLD to be frugal!!!
    Me too! I was frugal for too many years, now I don't have to be. This isn't to say I don't enjoy a good sale.
    Mary

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast