Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who is quilting on a little cheapie machine? >

Who is quilting on a little cheapie machine?

Who is quilting on a little cheapie machine?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:07 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

My Parkinson's has confused me, maybe meds are doing this ... but, I have had to drop down to a "cheapie" and love it ! I can still do all my baby/lap size quilts and anthing I am up to doing.

So, no longer doing the fancy stitching, but am very happy with my Brother LS1520, and "Beginning Singer." Both were about 100 dollars. Had to rebuy because I lost my foot press electric chord on the Singer.

OK, found the foot chord and have two cheapies.. very happy !

Ell
Old 10-21-2009, 08:23 AM

It amazes me how many of you all are making great quilts....and big quilts...on the little machines.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:46 AM

Lisa, I did a queen sized quilt on a 10 year old $89 Brother from WalMart!! Ha-HA!! It was a challenge (especially the stitch-in-the-ditch quilting), but I got it done. That Christmas I bought myself a nicer Brother, which I still have, and an inexpensive quilt frame and machine. It makes it much easier!!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 PM

My old faithful was a Kenmore I bought in the early 70s when I was in high school. A few years I ago i bought a Singer Ingenuity (definately not an expensive machine). I thought I was in heaven 'cause i really didn't know what i was missing. I too am a SID quilter and haven't ventured for FMQ yet but my DH bought me a used Bernina which should be arriving soon so I'm sure I'm going to be feeling like i'm at the Pearlie Gates again!! Just keep at it and you will find what works for you. After all, it the love and creativity that counts, right?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:30 PM

I've got a Brother XR-9000 from Costco ($170) and just finished a full sized quilt with FMQ and stitch in the ditch. Before that I used a cheapie Singer that my mom got me at Target. I was able to make several queen sized quilts on it with stitch in teh ditch that looked great.