Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Who taught you to sew?

my mother and other 4-H leaders. you cannot hurry
    the process.

I learned basic sewing from my grandma. I recently bought a Singer 301 just because that was the machine she had and I wanted to have one. It is now my primary quilting machine, it is a great workhorse and I think of grandma as I use it.

I learned in Home Ec. in school. Never liked what I made but it gave me the basics. I made some of my daughter's clothes when she was small. Never liked sewing for me. Just could never get anything to fit right. My mom could crochet beautifully, but hated to sew. Would never use the sewing machine.

My mom's cousin, Mae, taught me to sew when I was about 12. She really knew how to get the most out of the fabric. She never followed the layout suggested in the clothing patterns. She also use kitchen table knives to lay out the pattern - no pinning. I still do those 2 things when I make clothes.
    Leftover fabric became parts of scrap quilts.

my grandma used to sit me on the floor by her, when she was sewing. she did alot of sewing for other poeple to make a living. i stayed with her when my mother was in a hospital..mom had mental issues. so grandma would give me squares to sew together , by hand. i was really little ..maybe 3 years or around that. i now think she did this to keep me busy. wtg grandma..i am 60 now and its my fondest memory of my early years! plus i sew quilts, have a love of flowers..from her..she died when i was 18..i like to think she is my guarden angel.

My mother was a beautiful sewer and made us great outfits that didn't look home made...at least not to me. I watched her sew a lot of my life, so those had to be the early lessons, had home-ec in school too.

My greatest lesson was when my mother taught me to make my first outfit. It was a green suit for my sisters wedding. A lined jacket and skirt. I was so proud of that outfit and can see it like it was today. Her lesson on that was to take my time, read the directions and follow them. It worked.

My mom and my two grandmothers had a hand in it. With Mom it was machining and hand embroidery as well as cooking and baking. Grandma Sya sewed dolls clothes by hand and did I ever think she was nifty! She also tried to teach me to knit, but that is a long story for another time. Grandma Hannie inspired and demonstrated and helped and tried her hand at everything from sewing to crochet to macrame. At about 8 my parents bought me a secondhand Singer manual machine and we did some fantastic things together. How I wish I had it now! In return, I taught all three of them to do candlewicking when that became fashionable and I have very sweet and fond memories of times spent with them acquiring the many skills they had to share. My Mom, at 72, is still sewing quite a bit, but the quilting bug never got to her.

I think all of the "crafty" genes in my family skipped right over my parents - both of my grandmothers were big sewers; my mom's mom was mostly very practical; she made all of the family's clothes, linens, drapes, rugs, quilts, etc. for decades. Rugged, hardworking stuff. My dad's mom was more of an artist; she did a few bed quilts but mostly made art quilts and dolls, and was also a really good oil painter. Neither of my parents were ever artsy/craftsy, so I learned from my grandmothers, especially my maternal grandmother (she babysat me a lot). She had a dedicated sewing room with two sewing machines (one industrial, one regular) and she'd get me all set up on the regular machine and we'd work side-by-side, starting when I was probably about 8. Before that it was hand sewing - she also taught me how to embroider. When I was about six I started my own "business" - making stuffed and embroidered mice out of my grandmother's stash of felt for all her friend's cats. I "sold" them for either cookies or new felt! LOL She also enrolled me as her quilting helper - I'd spend hours cutting blocks (with scissors), and my "specialty" when I was about 10 was doing all the yarn ties to finish off her tied quilts. I was good at crawling out to the middle without messing up the layers. (Oh wow, such memories!)

I'm not a very good tailor (at ALL) but some day I'll seriously tackle that because I really want to know how to make my own clothes and alter store-bought clothes. But for now I'm too entranced with quilt making. I like to think my style is a combination of both of my grandmothers' styles - the practicality and ruggedness from one, combined with the art and colors from the other.

I'm pretty much the only sewer in my family now, on both sides. There are a lot of painters and artists amongst my aunts and uncles and cousins, but not really any "thready" people but me. (And, go figure, I'm a rotten artist!)

I learned from a scattered village of women. My mother, the excellent seamstress who never erred matching material with pattern. Mrs. Burley the neighbor who inspired an admiration for crochet. Mrs. Bartnicki, the Scout leader who helped me learn stem stitch and others. Visiting my grandmother's dressmaker in Indiana, Mrs. Cutter, and her awesome fabrics. Marguerite Ikies' pattern book. The wonderful members of the Extension Homemakers' Club who showed me their quilts and especially Dolley Metheny who taught me how to 'frame' top, batting and backing.

But I have learned the most right here. Thank you, quilters.

Blog Entries
    I learned in Jr. High Home Ec. Made most of my own clothes from the time I was 13.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Home ec class, and myself.

I made a pillow in Home Ec in High School. My mom had a sewing machine but it was more for hemming or patches. She didn't use it much. I didn't touch a sewing machine for probably 20 years until this past November. And since then, I have taught myself how to do things....well YouTube and the wonderful ladies here helped. I am one that likes to jump right in and figure it out on my own so I have enjoyed the journey and hope to continue it for many years to come. My 4 year old seems to want to learn as well as she is always asking to sew or cut up fabric.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

I learned in high school. I think it was my senior year. It wasn't home ec but a class devoted just to sewing for one semester. I made a skirt and one piece jumpsuit (they were very popular in the 70's LOL) I immediately fell in love with sewing. (and yes we called all fabric material then as well!)

I was already working at the time in JC Penney catalog dept. Someone returned a sewing machine so I set it aside for myself and bought it. It was my graduation gift to myself. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, I guess the person just decided they didn't want it? I still have that old sewing machine. It is my backup in case my Bernina needs to go in the shop.

I was lucky enough to watch my mom use her treadle machine, and then years later, saw my daddy buy her the exquisite machine she still has. Se made all our clothes, took us to the local JCPenneys store to pick out materials and patterns.
    The one tip I totally remember we when I took some great caramel colored corduroy material to make a pair of hip huggers....yes back in the day! she explained about the nap of the fabric and to make sure I told my teacher it wa corduroy. I told my teacher but she guided me to cut the pattern incorrectly......lesson learned!
    Momma has dementia now and has not used her machine, but I love her so much. I take care of her during the weekends nd make sure she always has a smile on her face.
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

My Mother taught me to sew. Also, took home-ec in high school. Since then, I've taken Stretch-n-Sew classes (a long time ago)... that and just "doing". Trial and error.

The best memory I have of sewing was my sister and I using my Grandmother's treadel sewing maching to make doll clothes. I'd sit on my knees in the chair guiding the fabric while my sister rocked that treadel back and forth.

Didn't anybody else have sewing lessons at their local Singer Sewing Machine store? Besides sewing machines, they also sold "material" and patterns. Ours gave lessons every summer and I went either 2 or 3 years... My mother thought every girl ought to have the basics (and better that someone else teach me. I never could do anything well enough to suit her).

Quilting I learned on my own -- books, mags, the internet, and obviously -- most of all -- right here.

My Grandmother started me sewing by first sewing on buttons. She could look at a dress, cut a pattern from newspaper and duplicate the exact dress. She could take a man's suit (bought at a rummage sale) cut out a vest and skirt and viola, I had a new outfit. I also learned from my Mom and my Aunt, all accomplished seamtresses. They grew up in hard times and learned out of necessity. I used to make clothes for myself but gave that up long ago and started sewing for all the grandchildren when they were pre-teens. Now I just quilt, make repairs, make pillowcases and decorator pillows, and pot holders and placemats.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

I learned to sew in Home Ec, my first project was a A line skirt, that I constructed so badly, you could see the hemming stitches across the room.

In high school I did much better, but the end of my Jr. year, I was making lined blazers matchiing the plaids, I never cared for making clothes, started on Quilts when I had my first daughter.
    Dyan

Power Poster
    Took a sewing classing in school. Made alot of clothes for myself and my young sons. Didn't start quilting until my youngest was a senior in high school (took a beginners class at aLQS) and once the house was empty really started quilting to take up a lot of my time.

I was always messing about with some rag by hand. My mom may have shown me something, she never had time to really teach me anything. So I'm self-taught. In high school I got a C for my skirt which is really funny now. There have been so many times when sewing was my fall-back living. I've sewn hundreds of replica uniforms, costumes for museums and shows, a hotel canopy, old-fashioned dresses and maids uniforms, kids clothes, seat covers. I'm a cross between seamtress and mechanic
    Vic Tori Ann Work Shop

Blog Entries
    I learned to sew from my mom, but we had 4 years of home ec in school..my senior year, we had to make a baby dress with french seams and smocking all by hand..I still have that dress and that was in 1960...I have a dress my mom made for me when I was probably around 3 months old..you can't touch it, it will tear...cause it's going to be about 70 years old pretty soon..LOL I made all my two daughters their clothes, dance recital costumes and twirler costumes till they reached junior high and blue jeans became popular..now I piece tops and quilt. I still sew quite a few things, I just made my sister an apron and love to make pincushions..Taught myself to crochet and to knit..and cross-stitch, embroidery and needlepoint...Only thing I haven't been able to learn is tatting..I've tried, have all the necessary things but just haven't mastered it yet...maybe one day....I just love all kinds of needlework especially by hand...I won the Betty Crocker award my senior year...in Home Ec..
    Last edited by sak658; 07-02-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Nobody taught me. I would love to be able to say my mom or grandma taught me, but alas, I'm self-taught. They taught me lots of other neat things, but not sewing. Mom hates to sew. (I did have a sewing class in junior high, but it didn't teach me much at all---teacher was a great seamstress who couldn't teach to save her soul..) And no one in my family ever quilted. I think I'm a mutant.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    My mom and my sister taught me to sew. My mom taught me the basics and my sister took it from there. I was in a hurry in high school and was making some jeans to wear for the night, and when I was done, I held them up, and...oh no!, I ended up with one big leg. I started crying after all the work I had done, and my sister told me to go get ready and she fixed my jeans. When I was ready, I had a real pair of jeans...two legs and all. My sister then taught me how to sew all other garments and finally in 1992 taught me to quilt and took me to my first quilting retreat. I then started quilting and going to retreats with her. She died in 2003 from cancer. She found out she had it on August 4th and died November 16th...very aggressive! I inherited most of her quilting items except some of her blocks went to her kids. Now I quilt all the time, thanks to her.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    8th grade the basics..a pillow and skirt and a dress...then did not sew agian intil my 40's. I searched the internet and thankfully for all of the free advice and also this board I started to sew again...I would not have if I had to pay for classes. So glad we have the internet and all of the people in the world willing to share. It really does help to keep the hobbies a live.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peepers View Post
    As I was ripping out a seam that I sewed too late last night, I remembered my Grandma and Mom telling me to stop sewing when I got tired or I'd just make mistakes that I had to rip out the next day. (I think I heard "told you so" being whispered in my ear this morning.) I've been sewing since I was 5 and was taught by my Mom and Grandma (my Dad's mother.) I remember spending a week or two at Grandma's every summer and we'd go pattern and material (we never called it "fabric") shopping on the first day and then I'd make the outfit under Grandma's watchful eye. By the time I was in Junior High, I was making all of my own clothes. Who taught you to sew and what tips do you remember and use to this day?
    My 3rd grade home ec teacher taught me how to sew on a button and tie the knot in thread I was hooked I made a skirt outfit in high school then stoped for a while,I learned how to crochet also took that up for a while now I do both mostly sewing though.
    Singer 110 , Singer 7422,Singer AH458923, Singer AD075758, Singer 5528 Singer AE234907, Universal H300795 Kenmore 158.16540, Necchi 3354, Dressmaker S2402, Signature 103-303340, BICOR VX1005 Singer 242

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast