Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Who uses the charm packs, jelly rolls, etc?

I've used the charm packs to make placemats and table runners.

I have used them for baby quilts and love the concept - I also love Missouri Quilt Company

I love the Missouri Star site and buy charm packs and love the tutorials..Its so much easier for me to watch someone make something than just to read a diagram..The Dresdern pattern looked so hard until I watched the tutorian on it and it looks so much easier..I will try to do it soon...The charm packs I bought came in just a couple of days and I was happy with the colors in it...

I have made multiple placemats and table runners using both jelly rolls and charm packs. They allow you to use a variety of coordinating fabrics painlessly. They are especially good for beginning quilters like me.

I use jelly rolls for any pattern that uses longish strips or pieces not more than 2.5" in height. I do a lot of "scrap" quilting and the rolls are a perfect size for cutting small squares or triangles which are my preference. I use the charm packs for the same scrap quilts, frequently cutting them even smaller. I love the assortment of colors you get in each jelly roll or scrap pack and they are usually sold along side yardage of the same fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona Marie
    I do my own. I have a lot of small pieces so cut them as I need them and how many I need, etc.
    That is what I do as well--I bag them and when I want to do something (like the 10-minute blocks) I don't have to do anything but grab a bag and start sewing.

I have never bought charm packs, jelly rolls, etc.
    Personally I would rather buy yardage. I believe the precut fabrics are more expensive. Buying yardage allows me to add to my stash.

I buy charm packs because they are good fillers when you just need a small piece (less than 5"), the jelly rolls are also great when making quilts that are meant to be (ab)used, such as a baby quilt. I used to buy fabrics by the yard, then realized that when I want to make another project none of the leftovers are the right colors that I need, so now I just buy fat quarters or linear quarters. Besides when you buy the pre-cuts, the patterns and colorways are already coordinated so there's hardly any need to go through the fabric bolts trying to match colors.

I found a pattern called Shadow Square Quilt by Key West Sunshine Due Designs that uses charm packs. You sew a dark strip to one side and the bottom and it gives an illusion of a shadow. Makes a really cute quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    I've been watching the Missouri Star Quilt tutorials on YouTube and they had a lot of things with the jellyrolls and pre-cut and packaged deals like that. I was wondering who on here buys the jellyrolls and such and what you have made with them.
    I have been a little leery of pre-cuts because I have read of some uneven cuts causing waste. Has anyone experienced this?

I often use charm packs. If I find them at a good price or a design that I like, they make great lap quilts and bay quilts that go together quickly. I also buy layer cakes sometimes and recut them. Out of one layer cake, I have made 2 large baby quilts and have enough for one more. Just need a baby girl to make one for.

That baby quilts, not bay quilts! Duh!

Blog Entries
    I use Charm Packs for a lot of things and fat quarters for matching fabric in a block. 2 fat quarters will usually make 3/4 blocks, depending on the pattern.

Blog Entries
    I like the drunkards path going in circles.

So far, the sweetest flannel quilt I have made was with a wonderful layer cake I found in Hattiesburg , MS. There is a darling LQS there. I live in Alabama and visit our son in LA. often. I try to "Trick" my DH by saying, Oh let's plan to eat lunch in Hattiesburg! Works every time. This layer cake was in "man's" cloth, and was for my SIL. Since then, I have been hooked on precuts. The best thing to do is to find a LQS that has great ideas on combinations.

I like the charm packs because they all blend in so well. I guess that is the purpose of them. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    I use charm packs all the time. I am working on a dresdan plate using charm packs purchased from Missouri Quilting and using their video tutorial as a guide. It is so easy so far.
    I also use Charm packs all the time. A good source is Connecting Threads, price is good and sooooo many to chose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
    I've been watching the Missouri Star Quilt tutorials on YouTube and they had a lot of things with the jellyrolls and pre-cut and packaged deals like that. I was wondering who on here buys the jellyrolls and such and what you have made with them.
    LOVE THEM ALL!

Blog Entries
    I made this one with charm packs that my dd gave me .
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have and still do use them.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    MaryKoch Your quilt is beautiful I love the colors and pattern...

RST
    Blog Entries
    They can be very economical. I made a good sized lap quilt using just one honey bun roll (1.5 inch strips) and a cream colored solid. The honeybun was on sale for $16. While it would have been cheaper to buy yardage of another solid, it would have made a much less interesting quilt. With the precuts, you get a nice array of coordinating fabrics without overbuying.

Here's my lap quilt made with the Patisserie line by moda:
    Attached Images Attached Images

RST
    Blog Entries
    Here's another I made with 2 charm packs and one jelly roll -- I had enough for a generous twin quilt, plus 3 throw pillows and trimming on 2 pillow cases and a sheet set and scraps leftover. So $28 for the jelly roll, 2 charm packs @ $8 each. The backing was yardage from the same line, @ $9/ yard, but I needed less than 2 yards since I pieced the backing with some of the leftovers from the front, so all told, the fabrics ran under $60, which I felt was not out of the realm for an entire bedset (for Grandma who lives in a nursing home) made out of good quality fabrics.

Using Moda Aviary line
    Name:  Attachment-125810.jpe
Views: 101
Size:  56.2 KB

RST
    Blog Entries
    Here's another that was made with a charm pack and a honey bun roll as the basis, to which I added a lot of scraps from my stash:

Blog Entries
    I use them all the time for all projects. I love that they save me so much time and are more accurate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast