Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Whole quilt basted with Elmer's school glue >

Whole quilt basted with Elmer's school glue

Whole quilt basted with Elmer's school glue

Old 09-14-2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Normabeth View Post
when you basted your quilt, did you use a hot iron? saw in the store last night they are now making Elmer's clear school glue, gonna buy it next time I out.
I just bought the clear school glue. Haven't had an opportunity to use it yet, but based on what other quilters have said, I'm hoping for very good results. Do we use a hot iron?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

I have tried the glue for bindings and it worked well. I have not seen the spray glue idea before and I will have to try a small project to see if it works for quilting. I always do samples of a new marking or glueing method before using it on a real quilt
Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 AM

Wow this is fascinating. I would have never thought of this.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:54 AM

Matter of fact I hope someone does a tutorial on this as I need visual imagery...LOL
Old 09-15-2012, 05:10 AM

Never heard of using glue, sound good though. So when your done you wash the quilt and the glue comes out ???
Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 AM

a few weeks ago I ran out of my 505 half way through basting. I had some elmers glue. I used it. once it dried it showed...I was worried...I FMQ'd my quilt anyways...once I washed me quilt the glue washed away...it did work. I will try a small quilt next and use the spray and see how that works. I love 505 spray but it is very expensive.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:48 AM

I have used regular Elmer's School Glue for sandwiching on several small/medium projects now--I don't spray, I just apply an even, light stream of glue in a grid pattern. While it's still wet, I iron to make sure that it's perfectly smooth on both sides. Yes, you can see some spots of glue during quilting--no big deal; they wash out completely when the quilt is laundered. There has been no problem with it getting on the ironing board or iron. I'm going to use it on a bigger quilt, doing it in sections. I think it will work out really well, much better than anything else I've tried.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by carol45 View Post
I have used regular Elmer's School Glue for sandwiching on several small/medium projects now--I don't spray, I just apply an even, light stream of glue in a grid pattern...
Carol,
I have some questions if you don't mind.

What size grid do you make--about 4x4"? Do you actually pick it all up and place on the ironing board to lightly press? I'm picturing a sticky mess. :-)

Do you glue the fabric or the batting?

Thanks for your help. I'm trying to improve my FMQ so I can actually finish some tops, but I have to get over my "basting phobia." I have a simple top I made just to practice FMQ, and have been wondering if I should run out and pick up basting spray, pin it, or run to Target for some Elmers now. :-)
Old 09-15-2012, 05:07 PM

I found Elmer's Glue Spray at the Dollar Store. I am going to try it. It seems to me that it would be easier than liquid glue. I'll let you know.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:00 PM

Remember everyone that you need to use Elmer's SCHOOL glue! Very important! We don't know if other types of Elmer's glue will wash out. It has to say WASHABLE on it!