Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why advice against tying quilts? >

Why advice against tying quilts?

Why advice against tying quilts?

Old 11-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
You have to remember in the old days, things didn't get washed in agitator washers, and didn't get washed often. If you are making for charities, many want sturdy quilts that will stand up to commercial washers. I see nothing wrong with hand-tied quilts, but have found them not to hold up to todays lifestyles as well as machine quilted quilts. Just remember, they are YOUR quilts and you can do as you please, there are no quilt police around here.
exactly! This is NOT the good old days when it comes to laundry...people wash, and wash, and wash...in the old days, some quilts were NEVER washed..just beaten to remove critters and hung out to air out! So tying held up!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:48 PM

I do both machine and hand tie. If it is a era quilt I always tie it because I feel it is more in-keeping with that period of time. But I prefer machine! LOL
Old 11-07-2011, 05:28 PM

I don't see why you can't tie your quilts I do especially if the batting is puffy tends to puff up even more .
lots of luck
Noella.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:24 PM

My grandmother tied all her quilts. Some are still used to this day..and her last one was made at least 25+ years ago. I so love the cozy feeling of a tied quilt..rather then the stiffness of a quilted one. If I was using it only as a decoration.. I would love to have one quilted then.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:49 PM

My grandma tied all her quilts also. I've had 3 that she made me my last Christmas home (39 years ago), my first and second anniversaries (38 and 37 years ago). Then came the kiddie quilts . I used them on my beds until a few years ago. They are in good shape other than a little frayed binding and a few squares that frayed out. I've put them away until I can repair each of them. Actually, I got into quilting to do these repairs and took a beginner quilting class to learn the basics so I would have a bit of knowledge of how to do it. My son proudly displays the quilt his greatgrandma made him that I've redone in his living room. My youngest has his redone quilt tucked safely away. My oldest son will get one of mine because he is the most sentimental about them but his was the only one to be lost. Not sure what ever became of it but he used it outside for tenting, took it to friends sleep overs, and used it hard. They were washed a lot also. I too much prefer the tied quilts because of the soft coziness of them as opposed to the stiffness of one heavily quilted. She didn't use batting though. All her quilts had blankets for batting.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 PM

I love to tie my quilts. I think it makes them snugglier (is that a word??).
Old 11-07-2011, 07:01 PM

If it isn't a word it should be!

Originally Posted by johnniesgirl View Post
I love to tie my quilts. I think it makes them snugglier (is that a word??).
Old 11-07-2011, 07:31 PM

it's your preference.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 PM

Tied quilts will hold up very well if they are tied in a square knot. Also, if you doubt they will hold, put a tiny dab of Fray Chek in the knot. It will keep the knot from coming untied and it is flexible enough to be washed and dried without coming apart.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM

I have never thought about tieing a quilt before, but after reading all the posts here, I now want to tie a quilt! I have read here about using yarn or crochet thread - which one is better? I'm excited to try this now! (Do we have a tutorial on tieing quilts?)