Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why advice against tying quilts? >

Why advice against tying quilts?

Why advice against tying quilts?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

My grandmother tied all her quilts. I like to machine quilt them. Just a matter of preference I guess.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:28 PM

I have nothing against tying a quilt and have tied many. I've read and heard from some quilters that if you tie a quilt, it's not really a quilt, to me, that's wrong, it has 3 layers, it has blocks in it, so in my opinion, it's a quilt. If you want to tie a quilt, then go for it, it's your quilt.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 PM

I tie a lot of my quilts, in fact most of them. I make them for friends, family, charities, and so far no one has complained. I have machine quilted a few (on my Viking) but tying is so much faster and also I can do the "birthing" method instead of having to baste the sandwich and put on a binding. To each his own. After all we all qulilt for our pleasure and there are no "quilt police" watching....
Old 11-06-2011, 12:54 PM

I have tied many quilts....especially flannel and they have been washed and rewashed for many years. I've also tied others, hand quilted some, machine quilted some, and had some machine quilted and they all seem to hold up well in the laundry. Made a baby quilt for a grand daughter that is now 23 and she treasures it and believe me I had to g0 over the seams but the ties all held.
Originally Posted by AnotherMadQuilter View Post
I am curious why so many advise against tying quilts? That was the most common practice in my experience. In fact I never saw a "quilted" quilt until I was well into adult hood. Is it more a regional preference or is there some other reasons for this advice?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:03 PM

My grandmother thought tying a quilt was slothful, and she thought sloth was the orginal sin, wouildn't ever give a tied quilt "houseroom". She handquilted all her quilts, maybe only 2 or 3 a year in her later years. But The group of quilters I hang out with who do charity quilts tie all of them. I've tried handquilting, not happy with my results. So I long arm or FMQ or tie. Just depends on what you want, what your skills are,
Old 11-07-2011, 04:29 AM

I just finished tying a queen size quilt for my daughter. She wanted a puffier quilt and requested it be tied. She doesn't like the warm and natural batting with machine quilting look on her bed. I will tell her to wash and dry on gentle tho.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:31 AM

It depends on the quilt. If I want a rustic look I sometimes tie them.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:32 AM

I was told that it depended on when the quilt would be used. That tied quilts allowed for more air circulation and thus were better in the heat of the summer, etc. (Before AC and central heat) and quilting allowed the heat to stay with the body better but now the choice is all yours.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

One of my sons loves tied quilts so that's what I do for his!!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 AM

I always thought that quilts were quilted and comforters were to be tied. That's what it was called in my day.