Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why advice against tying quilts? >

Why advice against tying quilts?

Why advice against tying quilts?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:24 AM

When a quilt is tied, there is a lot of stress on the few spots that are in the tie. Those areas get pulled every time the quilt is moved. They tear apart. If this is a historic quilt and it was tied when it was made...then it should be left that way to preserve the history. if it is a new quilt...guilt it, or pay someone else to do so. The quilt will last longer.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 AM

I helped my Grandmother washclothes back in the early40's and our washers today are much more gentle than then. According to her, the wringer washer was more gentle than when she helped her mother with the wash. Tie away, my dear. They will last and there are so many ways of doing it. I have one that has large buttons sewn at every intersection.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 AM

I tie some, I quilt some... depends on the look of the quilt and how thick it is. My kids love thick thick thick ones that can't be quilted.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:28 AM

tied is fast and cheaper and if you can not quilt FMQ good why tie it is your quilt and you can do what you want as my sister told me last week it was my party and I could cry if I wanted to.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:32 AM

I have to ditto everyone else. It's a personal preference. I do not care for it because it's not as durable and it does look old fashion. If I was to make an old fashion quilt that I knew would not be used a lot, therefore, not washed as often, then yes, I would tie it.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:40 AM

Tying quilts is a personal preference, and nothing more. If you like tying - do it!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:41 AM

My mother and grandmothers both quilted and tied quilts. My mom tied a quilt for one of my nieces, and was surprised when the now grown niece asked her to "fix" her quilt. It seemed that this niece was sent to her room a lot for discipline, and in frustration she untied every tie in the quilt mom had made her! Tying might not be the best for every quilt! Just think about who the quilt is for.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

My mother always tied her quilts. I have tied several myself. I think that is your choice.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:50 AM

I like the tied quilts but wouldn't do it that way if making a baby quilt. Otherwise, do what you want to and how you want to do it. I cut 4 1/2" squares from the loads of fabric I got from Grandma (most of it there wasn't enough to do much with), sewed them together and tied the quilt. It's on my bed year round and when I look at it I think of Grandma and it makes my day. I've washed it plenty of times and just used the gentle cycle. So far so good. May just have to do another one that way.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 AM

I have ties some of my quilts (thicker batting) and I have machine quilted (in the ditch) some of my quilts. I like the look of tied quilts for the puffiness of them. My grandmother used to make large quilts for her grandchildren when they got married and she would make smaller quilts whenever a baby was born. None of them were fancy quilts but they were super colorful with whatever fabric she had on hand, hand sewn using crochet thread, and tied with yarn.

I'm not sure what she used for batting but it was/still is heavy and it wasn't store bought batting. Many years ago my mother opened up one of my grandmother's quilts to see what was in it and it was an old wool coat that had been taken apart and pieced back together again to make the "filling" for the quilt. The quilts that she made for me and my children (in the early 1970's) are still going strong, are washed regularly and have even been used as picnic blankets, and (don't hit me now )as beach blankets!! I have to plead ignorance about using them as beach blankets but my sister-in-law did the same thing and she still has the quilts that my grandmother made for my brother and his children