Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality? >

Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality?

Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:53 AM

I've been very happy with the fabrics I purchase from Connecting Threads. I recently made a D9P out of Batik fat quarters from connecting threads. When I had the top done I went to my LQS to get a batik for the back and in comparison the FQ from Connecting and the yardage from the LQS were of very similar quality. The LQS actually shrunk more when prewashed than I would have expected.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 AM

They are less expensive because they produce their own products. No middlemen. I like the quality and buy from them a lot.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 AM

I think their fabric and thread is of good quality. I recently made a baby quilt out of their flannel and it was soft and lovely. I don't know how they keep their prices low but I am going to buy from them to encourage the low pricing!
Old 09-28-2011, 11:33 AM

I have never bought any of their fabric...BUT...I have one spool of every color thread they have of the Essentials line. I am really pleased with the thread and I have noticed that my machine doesn't fill up with lint like other brands of thread.
I can't wait to use all this thread up so I can buy MORE. lolol
I dont think you will be disappointed in their threads. :)
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

I have only ordered their batiks once. I didn't think the quality was quite as nice as say a Hoffman batik or a Timeless Treasure Tonga, but it was still very nice and I have to say they have EXCELLENT customer service. One of the batiks I ordered they sent the wrong color. I called them and they replaced it with the right color no questions asked and I got to keep the wrong one as well.

I have found name brand batiks on line for around the same price from places like thousands of bolts. They may not be the newest colors or lines but who cares. I have also gotten wonderful batiks from Fabric Depot when they are having a good sale for around $6.50 to $7 p/y.

I would order batiks from CT again, but I am not a fan of their Essential threads. I do like looking at their catalog though!

One other thing, CT is affiliated with The Artists Club a resource for tole painting supplies and an on line source for knitting supplies. Their low prices might also reflect their buying power when combined with these other wholly owned subsidiaries.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 AM

love their fabric. Great buys.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 AM

I've purchased a few of their fabric (batik and print) and they are OK. Better than most of the fabric I've seen at Joanne's, but not quite as good as most of the fabric I've seen an LQS. I say "most" because there are always exceptions in both directions.

Their thread is another story. I bought I think 10 spools in different colors with the intention to use on a landscape quilt. I used a tiny bit of I think 3 colors and gave up and sold the whole lot here on QB. I HATED that thread. It says it's 50wt but when compared to a 50wt higher quality thread (like Aurifil or Superior to name only two) the CT thread was more than twice as thick. Also, the amount of thread lint was HORRIBLE. I was FMQ'ing little feet (just the outline of the foot!) and I did 4-5 feet that were only 4" long (so total thread used is perhaps a few yards tops??) and when I was done there was so much lint it covered the whole needle shaft about 1/2" all the way around. SERIOUSLY. I was even using a larger needle than I would have ordinarily used with a 50wt thread.

So from me ...

Fabric - thumbs up
Thread - thumbs down
Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 PM

I lov ehte connecting threads batiks. I think that they are just as good as the lqs and even better for the price. but that is me. never had a problem with their batiks at all. try some and you will see.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

I've never had a problem with the fabric and I love the quilt kits. I always buy the quilt kits when they go on clearance. I'm doing the 2011 Piecemakers Calendar quilt using CT batiks fat quarter sampler. No fraying so it's easy to applique. I use the CT poly on the large cone for bobbin thread. It's thin and strong. Check out CT Blog, lots of free patterns and free online quilt classes.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:13 PM

Love their item. I use it all the time.