Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality? >

Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality?

Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by linken
I order charm packs of the lines of fabric before I order yardage. Then I can judge the color and quality. I have never been disappointed by connecting threads
This ^^^^ is what I do. I purchase a charm pack of each line and all of the colors in their solids, mirage and basics. Then I know what the real color will be when I get it. And it is also great for picking complimentary pieces for a focal fabric. I put a 'header' on the pieces as they come in. The line name, color number and all the other information to locate them easily. I then use double-sided tape and mount them to the info cards. I punch a hole in the corner and group them on rings. When I am trying to figure something out, I pick out the rings that I need, sit down with my focal print or my pattern and figure things out.

And actually I like that better than going to the fabric store. There are many pluses to their stuff - fabrics are gorgeous and I love the feel of them - their yard is at least 37" - and their thread is fab-u-lous. If I do go to the fabric store (LQS, HobbyLobby, etc) then I usually buy things that I wasn't needing at this point, and usually don't pick up what I really came for. HTH
Old 09-28-2011, 09:07 AM

NO....they are NOT poor Qualilty!! I buy from Connecting Threads all the time, and I am very very pleased with their fabrics. And their batiks are just as nice, and they don't feel "waxy" when you get them.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria
I am wondering how their prices are so low? They have nice looking Batiks (at least in the web and catalog photos--haven't seen any in person) but they are almost $5 per yard cheaper than batiks at my LQS. Is this indicative of poor quality?

I would like to buy some of the thread and some batiks and a quilt kit but don't want quality that is less than very good.

What is your experience with Connecting Threads products??

It's because they're not LQS quality. Rather thin, but some feel it's worth the money. I don't...
Old 09-28-2011, 09:21 AM

I have made several purchases of fabric and thread and I have not been disappointed in anything I have received. I think their prices are low because they are on-line only. No brick and mortar store.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM

I made a quilt from their batiks for my grandson and it turned out well and has held up well. I've used lots of their fabrics and threads and have never had a single problem.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Have only bought thread and some other notions so far. I love their thread for piecing and appliqueing.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Aren't they also the manufacturer of their own fabric lines? This means that there is no distributor and no re-seller to have markups along the way. (I have a friend who is a marketer and works in between the food manufacturers and the distributors of certain food brands, so there may even be more levels -- all who mark up the price to make their own piece of the profit).

I have had no problems with CT fabrics. While I do think their quality is a little lower than the LQS, I would put them on par with Hancock Fabrics and Joanns quilt fabric lines. Haven't seen WalMarts in a long time, but if I had to guess I would say CT was higher quality, only because HF and J's are generally higher quality than WM.

Also I can't afford for every quilt I make to be LQS quality -- especially baby blankets, etc. I wish I could...but at $10+ per yard, I wouldn't be able to afford it!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:49 AM

I just bought a piece of flannel for potato bags from them. It feels wonderful, but it hasn't been washed yet. It looks like a good quality flannel. I do like their thread and their sales are great, especially the books, right now 40% off!
Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

mainly their prices used to be lower because THEY own the pattern/designs and used to have it printed themselves. Now that it is farmed overseas (like all else) the prices are about the same, but the quality is really less than what it was a few years back.
THe last black batik I got from them was so sheer, I had to put muslin behind it to give it body!
THeir Mirage line used to be good too, but again, very thin now, and not really dyed through like it used to. It is very WHITE on the back of the fabric.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:23 AM

I've purchased from them and I haven't had any problem with the fabrics yet. As for thread, I haven't ordered any of that.