Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why did I buy the EQ7? >

Why did I buy the EQ7?

Why did I buy the EQ7?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 AM

Default Why did I buy the EQ7?

I bought it thinking I could make my own designs/patterns etc... so now I have this program and have NEVER ever made my own pattern yet. It is to confusing I guess...so I just buy patterns and etc.. what a waste.. Have you bought things that turned out to be a waste of money?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

yes, and that's why my 'studio' is full of crafts! sorry to hear that you don't use your EQ... i use mine all of the time. granted, it takes time to learn, but is invaluable after the learning curve. our member Rhonda has done some tutorials on here. perhaps you can check them out.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 AM

Yes, I purchased the software to make my own counted cross stitch patterns (over $100), have tried once to use it , didn't understand any of it - so there it sits on a closet shelf.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 AM

I also use my EQ to check for color combinations I want to use in a quilt I am going to make. Also friends ask me to do this for them.

Have even drawn patterns others have designed and given them the outline form and material amounts needed.

Once you use the EQ you will probably want to use it more. Give the tutorials a try. Import your fabrics and see how they look in the quilts you set up.

Otherwise, I might offer to buy it from you at a discount.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:54 AM

I love my EQ and have since EQ4. I use it everyday! That being said why don't you use it? How do you learn? Do you like videos? EQ has many videos in the program and at the Do you eq site. Are you able to follow a book step by step. The directions in the book are the perfect way to learn EQ. I am an instructor as well. I have lessons written for EQ 6 that can be used in EQ 7. I am also writing new lessons for EQ 7. Let me know what you need and what you want to do. The first thing to do in EQ is learn the buttons. What they do and where they are. Once that is done you need to learn how to find blocks in the libraries and how to place them on the quilt layout. Then how to use the tabs at the bottom and how to build your quilts! Sounds like an awful lot to learn. If you use a word program you can learn EQ. If you have played in a drawing program you can learn EQ. Let me know what you need I am here to help! Luann
Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

I really like my EQ, give it a try I think you will be pleased!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 AM

I've often thought of buying EQ, but haven't splurged. I like to design my own pattern once in a while, and I just use graph paper. I'm afraid I would be like you, mythreesuns, and it would sit on a shelf collecting dust. I figured that is an awful lot of material on sale I could get with that money! Was at my favorite LQS last week and picked up 5 yards of material for just under $25. Now that's a bargain!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I bought the embroidery module for my Bernina 440, thinking that I might want to do embroidery. I've used it only a few times for making quilt labels and found out I'm not really interested in embroidery. So yes, I've bought things that were a waste of money for me. On the other hand, EQ7 (and EQ6 before that) is probably the most useful tool I have, next to the sewing machine and rotary cutter. I use it all the time. The online help is excellent, tutorials get you started, and there are lots of classes and tutorials offered at various places if you need more help. Don't give up on it - invest some time and energy in learning how to use it and you will be happy with that purchase.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 AM

I haven't used mine very much, but it is great to play with possibilities. One thing I like it for is the fact that it tells you how much of each fabric to buy. You can recreate existing patterns in EQ, then play with color combinations, etc.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 AM

It certainly has a learning curve. I have it but really don't use it as much as I should. I need a hands on , person sitting next to me refresher course.