Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why did I buy that fabric? >

Why did I buy that fabric?

Why did I buy that fabric?

Old 11-04-2020, 04:39 PM

Julienm1 - you definitely made me lol! I certainly purchased many fabrics in my "learning to craft and quilt" days - what was I thinking? Makes me realize how our styles and preferences change over time!
I have given some away but I have used a lot in many craft project, bag making, strips, test patterns and yes it's true "if you cut it small enough" it looks better
Old 11-04-2020, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

The rope bowl turned out great. I use all my fabrics, don't think any is too ugly to use. I mainly donate and don't know how they are liked, they will still be warm. Which is the main reason I make them. I would use any of them if I could store them all.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:55 AM

Is there room in that boat for me???? One thing I found with those fat quarters is the wrong side may be more subdued and before I donate, I check the wrong side. Works especially well when I am looking for a specific color but the front design is all wrong but the back may be just the color I need.
Rope bowls are a great way to use up that "what was I thinking" fabric not just fat quarters. "Leftover" and "what am I going to do with this" holiday fabric is a perfect example that when cut in strips and wrapped around rope, the design just disappears.
Using in string quilts works well too.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:45 AM

Guilty! Just did it this morning. MSQC has a Mystery Free Spirit fat quarter bundle on special today. I thought “what a deal!” And in a few clicks with PayPal it is mine. Then I thought, “Did I use the last Mystery FQ bundle?” The answer would be no.

Love the rope bowl idea!
Old 11-05-2020, 03:17 AM

Saw a tute on-line today on making fabric baskets. Ah ha moment. Use some of those FQ to make baskets. Can use 2, 4, 6 of those what-the-h**l FQ. Now just need to find that super stiff interfacing.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:44 AM

I had a similar problem, when I first started quilting, I had a couple of friends that went nuts and got me a bunch of fabric. Some of it was gorgeous and I had no issue using them, but then they also got some that were questionable, not so much the design on the fabric, more like what the fabric actually was. Since they couldn't remember what the fabric was or where they even got it, I put them in the bottom of my fabric organizer and figured at some point in time, I'd use them.

Skip ahead almost six years later when I decide I'm going to get back into quilting and I'm going through my stash, I realize I had a lot of fabric that I just couldn't remember what I bought it for or when going through what they got me, what they were made of. Fiancé suggested throwing them out, which some I did do that with because a mouse got into my organizer and made a nice little nest. I wanted to get better fabric and I knew I was going to have to weed out what I had, so I grabbed all of my fabric, threw it on my dining room table and started cutting them down. Some I saved back for scraps to audition blocks I was interested in, the rest, I stash busted our nine-patch quilt with. It's comfy, it's warm, the fabric was used and it made me feel a lot better and a lot more accomplished because I made something with it all.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:06 AM

Railroad, a lot of us probably have questionable fabric in our stash. I worked at a call center and on down time I was able to cut my scraps into usable sizes. Obviously I got questionable looks from co-workers but the way I looked at it, I was being paid to organize my stash.
Odd fabrics look different when "cut up".
Old 11-05-2020, 04:06 AM

Been there...done that. I spend a couple of days the first of January organizing my sewing room and purging unnecessary and unwanted items...including ugly fabric.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:24 AM

Just finished washing/pressing/folding 100 ?able fat quarters hoping ideas for projects. Only thing that I could think of was fabric boxes. Maybe I need to fondle them a little more? Yeh, I think so. Off go get more coffee for inspiration motivation...lol

Oh crap! Move one piece of fabric and found 10 more FQs hiding. Coffee will have to wait.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:44 PM

I am with all of you on buying fabric that I have no idea why I bought it.
Osewme-very pretty cloth bowl.