Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why didn't someone stop me??

Why didn't someone stop me??

DH and DS decided to go camping this week end, and even tho I have a kazillion things I could have done at home, I decided to hop in the car and head over to St. Jacob's market (the BEST and biggest fresh food/farmers' market in our region--IMHO) It is almost an hour's drive for me so I don't get there very often. Found cucumbers at not too bad a price, dill, garlic--everything I would need to make up a couple of dozen jars of pickles. Plus fresh fruit, veg and cold cuts to die for! Okay, no problem there.

Then I decided that I should stop at Lens Mill since I was so close. (Lens Mill is a fabriholic's dream in technicolour!!) And THAT was when my frugal soul and best intentions were arm wrestled into the dust by the absolute NEED for 10 yards of floral fabric that was meant to come home with me. I have been searching for a fabric that I could use for a 4 patch kaleidoscope, for ages. And honestly, it jumped off the shelf and into my arms!! I tried to resist! I did! I did!! I looked at cheaper fabric. I looked at wider fabric. I even tried to leave empty handed. But really, it must have been meant to be, because I knew I needed 10 yards and there was a mere smidgen over 10 yards on the bolt.

And so...I came home with my prize, drooling with anticipation...only to realize that I have a half bushel of cucumbers to pickle....sigh..
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I think you are an inspiration to all of us, lol! Sounds like you had a great day. :-)
    Laura

Blog Entries
    I think you are amazing since you got out of that store with only 1 piece of fabric!!!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Lol! Love your story...sounds like me picking rhubarb. Rush to make the pickles so you play with your fabric.

Sounds like a fun day, but, only one piece of fabric followed you out? I would think several more would have tried to tackle you

Power Poster
    abric usually keeps for a while without spoiling.. Cucumbers don't.

Enjoy the pickles - they taste so good later in the year!

Oh yes, Misty's Mom! I had to duck and weave! I could have spent my whole paycheck there, but thankfully I retained a wee smidgin of frugality. As it is, I have blown my fabric allowance for the next 3 months and I saw several other pieces that will be calling me back...and back...and back...
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Hmmmmm I`m heading south in September.....so where is this Lens Mills so I can go see if anything will jump into my arms!!! he he he
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
    DH and DS decided to go camping this week end, and even tho I have a kazillion things I could have done at home, I decided to hop in the car and head over to St. Jacob's market (the BEST and biggest fresh food/farmers' market in our region--IMHO) It is almost an hour's drive for me so I don't get there very often. Found cucumbers at not too bad a price, dill, garlic--everything I would need to make up a couple of dozen jars of pickles. Plus fresh fruit, veg and cold cuts to die for! Okay, no problem there.

Then I decided that I should stop at Lens Mill since I was so close. (Lens Mill is a fabriholic's dream in technicolour!!) And THAT was when my frugal soul and best intentions were arm wrestled into the dust by the absolute NEED for 10 yards of floral fabric that was meant to come home with me. I have been searching for a fabric that I could use for a 4 patch kaleidoscope, for ages. And honestly, it jumped off the shelf and into my arms!! I tried to resist! I did! I did!! I looked at cheaper fabric. I looked at wider fabric. I even tried to leave empty handed. But really, it must have been meant to be, because I knew I needed 10 yards and there was a mere smidgen over 10 yards on the bolt.

And so...I came home with my prize, drooling with anticipation...only to realize that I have a half bushel of cucumbers to pickle....sigh..

Power Poster
    You may have a smidge of guilt over blowing your fabric budget but that is better than a whole bunch of regret over leaving behind the perfect fabric. You know it wouldn't have been there after you wasted another tank of gas to go back and get it. Enjoy!

Umm... Huntannette..not sure if you just kidding, but Lens Mill has at least6 outlets. Just google and pick the nearest one and also check their current flyer for sales. Love the fact that they buy and display quilts in all their stores. Lots of dreck to go thru sometimes but also lots of variety. Just wish the prices were closer to the US equivalent.

For those wanting to check out Len's Mills in Southern Ontario, they have numerous other things besides fabric and sewing supplies of all types. You could buy everything from yarn, cleaning supplies, socks, underwear (even long johns) towels, sheets, makeup, stationary and garden shovels. Their stores are located in London, Hawksville, Waterloo, Guelph, Cambridge, Port Dover and now a new one in Toronto (I may have missed one or two). You can look them up online and see what you are missing. Each one has it's own flavour and own style of store. Not all stores carry exactly the same things and fabric may come on the bolt, on the roll or sold by the pound. The Waterloo store is an old building by the train tracks, the Hawksville one looks like a steel farm building, the Guelph one is on the end of a strip mall and the Cambridge one is in the old woolen factory. Can you tell that I've checked almost all of them out more than once?
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Were we supposed to stop you from buying the fabric, or the cucumbers?

Blog Entries
    You did great! Thanks for sharing your story! I'm heading to Indiana in October to spend our 20th anniversary with some wonderful family that we never get to see because we live 9 hrs away. It's in Shipshewana....Amish country. There will be some very fun fabric stores. My husband already knows we will be visiting them and I think he knows that I won't leave with only one fabric! Glad you could hold yourself back. . I completely understand the addiction.

GingerK ... Yea for Lens!!! I live all too close to one, and my truck just seems to take a sidetrip there all, too often!

HuntAnnette ... Oh you will love it! Don't just visit ONE Lens, as their inventory can vary from one to the other. BTW you can get pretty much more than fabric there. Some of their fabrics are buyouts, and can be older lines. Some are the current ones, just the same as the LQS. And at times, you will even find some with the Joann's label! You might be familiar with them, as they are always at the Toronto Shows. Prices vary widely ... same as LQS' and some marked down. Always a sell out area, if you have luck. Also, batting by the yard/metre and a huge selection of upholstery and trims. AND before you go... be sure to check their online coupons. In the Spring, I really cashed in ... fabric on sale, then % off because I took the whole bolt, plus a further % markdown for any green fabric (it was St. Paddy's time), and then I had a coupon for a further markdown!!! Made the fabric, almost free!!!
    http://www.lensmill.com/
    And sometimes you can go and have absolutely no luck!

Shelbie ... You're right about them each having their own "flavour"! You'll love the Woodstock one ... and Hamilton's is great too. BTW checked out the new Fland in Oville today ... disappointing!! (or is it that I am spoiled by Lens?)
    Last edited by QuiltE; 08-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

You are tooo tooo funny!~ Luv you!

And where is the photo of this wonderful 4PP fabric????????
    Please Do Show Us!!!!

It was meant to be!!!!!! LOL My dh says my car comes to a stop right in front of any kind of fabric store. LOL

LOL pocoellie. My DH has learned his lesson and has programed the GPS with Starbucks and quilt shops. It will be 41 years for us on Monday and I think I'll have to keep him.

LOL pocoellie. My DH has learned his lesson and has programed the GPS with Starbucks and quilt shops. It will be 41 years together for us on Monday, and I think I'll have to keep him.

Lovequilting22--a road trip is the perfect excuse for checking out new fabric shops. You will LOVE Amish country. And it sounds like you have already 'indoctrinated' your DH. I was lucky enough to be able to equate my fabric fetish with my DH's wood fetish. We have actually shared patterns!!! Have a great vacation!

Quote Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
    ......My DH has learned his lesson and has programed the GPS with Starbucks and quilt shops. It will be 41 years together for us on Monday, and I think I'll have to keep him........
    Happy Anniversary ... you can always tell your DH you did his shopping for him!!

No GPS for me ... though I think my truck has a built in radar for both 'Bucks and fabric stores!

Sounds like a wonderful day!! Yep, I agree it was ment to be!!!!

The fabric just jumped into your arms just like the man at the estate sale today said his truck told him to stop!! He went home with over $1000 in china!!

Blog Entries
    Len's Mills is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO seductive. I can't decide whether I spend more at the Guelph or the Cambridge location.
    Pickles and Quilts. Both are yummy. That is so domestic! Have fun.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Poor you, just remember, the cucumbers won't be fit for pickles if you put them off, the fabric will only get more beautiful waiting for you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovequilting22 View Post
    I'm heading to Indiana in October . It's in Shipshewana....Amish country. There will be some very fun fabric stores. My husband already knows we will be visiting them and I think he knows that I won't leave with only one fabric! Glad you could hold yourself back. . I completely understand the addiction.
    Yoders Dept store and Lollys' in the Davis Hotel. and be sure to go down to the lower level and check Lollys' other store. It's nothing but bolts of fabric and at a lower price than the main store.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast