Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do the binding by hand? >

Why do the binding by hand?

Why do the binding by hand?

Old 05-02-2011, 05:12 AM

It makes a difference to me how the Quilt will be used. If a quilt will get heavy wear, like a baby, child's quilt, or one that gets donated to Qof V, then I machine stitch. If it will get gentler wear, I do it by hand because I think they drape better on a bed.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:15 AM

It's a personal thing but I find that hand stitching the binding down on the back is very relaxing. Plus the fact that every time I have tried to do it by machine I have made a royal mess of it :lol: .
Old 05-02-2011, 05:17 AM

I expect all my quilts to be used regularly so a strong binding is essential. Since I've struggled to make the machine stitching look just right, my edges weren't even on both sides, basting by hand is my intermediate step.

Yes, it adds more time but handbasting ensures the binding stitch lands in just the right place on BOTH sides. Then, my favorite leaf vine or scallop stitch using contrasting thread adds to the project instead being a potential flaw.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:23 AM

I don't like the way it looks when sewed on the machine. I always sew mine on by hand; but I do love hand sewing.

It is just personal preference, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this one.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:31 AM

I hand stitch binding while watching t.v. at night. I even do it for friend because she doesn't like to even sew the binding on period.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
for me it is a personal opinion. I do not like the look of it done on machine (probably because I am not good at it therefore the ONE quilt I did to looked crappy). Others don't mind the look or even LIKE the look! I don't, thats why I take the time (although I hate doing it) to finish my quilts with a hand stitched binding! I have seen BEAUTIFUL QUILTS, turned them over and they had machine stitched binding, I didn't love the quilt any less!
I agree with you, it is just a personal opinion. I hand stitch mine but don't hate doing it unless I am on a time constraint. And yes the quilts that have machine stitched binding are beautiful as well.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 AM

I stitch the frontm especially if it is for a child. It will be washed over and over and it withstand the washing.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 AM

This throws a glitch in both ways. My stepmother "finished" the quilts the ladies in the church quilted. Her method was NO binding. She turned inside the edges of the quilt and did some kind of blind stitch to draw the edges together. Never heard of it before and I'm not about to try it myself.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:41 AM

I always machine stitch binding on! It looks good and takes so much less time..
Old 05-02-2011, 05:43 AM

I think it would be easier to remove worn binding if it is finished by hand rather than by machine. I, personally, like the look of the binding finished by hand...no imperfections of stitching to be judged by the "quilt police."