Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do the binding by hand? >

Why do the binding by hand?

Why do the binding by hand?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:00 PM

I hand sew, because for me it is a very relaxing process. And I love the look. Just my own preferance.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
I can't understand why it is so important to flip the binding to the back side and sew by hand with the blind stitch? We have these nice machines and why not put the binding on back and flip to front and sew on machine. You could even use the blanket stitch. Before I start this binding today I would like to make a decision on this. Years ago when I made a few quilts and took a class at the college, we sewed it on by machine. Why not now? Thanks for input. Suzanne
I sew by machine, it is quick and looks neat with piping popping out on the edges.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:35 AM

I can't understand why it is so important to flip the binding to the back side and sew by hand with the blind stitch? We have these nice machines and why not put the binding on back and flip to front and sew on machine. You could even use the blanket stitch. Before I start this binding today I would like to make a decision on this. Years ago when I made a few quilts and took a class at the college, we sewed it on by machine. Why not now? Thanks for input. Suzanne
I sew by machine, it is quick and looks neat with piping popping out on the edges.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:19 AM

canuckninepatch I like the way the piping looks on that quilt! Do you still have the tute?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
for me it is a personal opinion. I do not like the look of it done on machine (probably because I am not good at it therefore the ONE quilt I did to looked crappy). Others don't mind the look or even LIKE the look! I don't, thats why I take the time (although I hate doing it) to finish my quilts with a hand stitched binding! I have seen BEAUTIFUL QUILTS, turned them over and they had machine stitched binding, I didn't love the quilt any less!
I'm with you. Tried folding to the front & sewing by machine but it looked crappy. Tried doing it folding to the back & finishing by machine. Big mistake. I don't really mind finishing it by hand. Once I get all the way around I have a real sense of completion. It's a great "do in front of the TV" job.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR
canuckninepatch I like the way the piping looks on that quilt! Do you still have the tute?
Sure do - it's http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html

It's very straightforward and easy, and I am really pleased with the result. I had tried doing machine binding before, and wasn't all that pleased. This technique works really well. Let me know how you like it!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:51 AM

I can't understand why it is so important to flip the binding to the back side and sew by hand with the blind stitch? We have these nice machines and why not put the binding on back and flip to front and sew on machine. You could even use the blanket stictch. Before I start this binding today I would like to make a decision on this. Years ago when I made a few quilts and took a class at the college, we sewed it on by machine. Why not now? Thanks for input. Suzanne
I bind on my machine. Arthritis too bad in my hands to do it by hand. And it looks fine
Old 05-05-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
Originally Posted by CAS49OR
Sure do - it's http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html

It's very straightforward and easy, and I am really pleased with the result. I had tried doing machine binding before, and wasn't all that pleased. This technique works really well. Let me know how you like it!
This is a great tutorial! I think I can do it, and I'm new, I've done two bindings before. The pictures and the instructions are clear and easy to understand. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:58 PM

Emotionally I am with you. I keep trying to find the perfect way to finish the binding by machine, but I never like the way it turns out. To me, the hand sewn binding is the neatest looking way.
It cause me great grief, but I take out my needle and sew
:XD:
Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 PM

As jdiane will shortly discover when my PL quilts arrive, I am learning the difference between hand-sewing the binding and machine-sewing the binding. The difference is remarkable. I have much more control over how the end result looks when doing the final sewing by hand (vs. by machine). Everything looks MUCH better.

-- Jillaine