Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do the binding by hand? >

Why do the binding by hand?

Why do the binding by hand?

Old 05-01-2011, 10:01 PM

I like to hand finish the binding also. I sew it by machine on the front and then hand stitch the back. I also do hand quilting.I think it gives that final personal touch. That's why I don't make very many in a year. LOL
Old 05-01-2011, 10:23 PM

I do it by hand when I feel that the quilt is worth the time and effort. If it's a kids quilt or one to be used daily, then I do it by machine.

If it's a quilt that has taken me many months to make, that I may want to enter in a contest or show, then I hand stitch it to the back.

It just depends on the quilt.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:24 PM

For me, the time I take to hand stitch the back is what it takes for me to say goodbye to my quilt. But ladies, if you hate it, find another way! With so many methods to choose from, it doesn't make sense to be miserable or feel guilty! Heck, if paying someone else to do it makes you happy, go for it!!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:51 PM

I hand stitch, especially now its winter, its nice to sit in front of the TV at night with the cat tucked into the quilt and hand sew around it. On the otherhand my sister gives it to our Mum to hand stitch. She hates stitching it by hand, but likes the finished look of it.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:07 AM

The last quilt I did I decided to hand finish the binding... Just because I had never done it before and wanted to see if it looked that much different. I am not convinced that the hand finished is that much better and got a sore finger as could not find a thimble that fit my finger... plus it is going to a little 5 year old boy and I was thinking the hand stitch will not be sturdy enough. I was thinking I would top stitch around the binding just to make it sturdier. My next one I will not do the hand finish I will machine finish it.. Sturdier I feel.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:39 AM

I think it is a matter of choice. I did the first one by hand - all the rest by machine.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:39 AM

I stitch to the back and sew down the front WITH MACHINE lol
Old 05-02-2011, 02:51 AM

I attach by machine then decide what the quilt will be used for. If kids or teens will own the quilt it is all applied by machine. If it is meant to be a heirloom, I do it by hand.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:54 AM

I hand stitch the bindings. It makes me feel that I'm giving it the "final touch."
Old 05-02-2011, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by SuzanneG
Well, to each his own! :D As for me, I do my binding by machine on front then flip to hand stitch down on the back. I just like the look of this better. But I love that there are different ways to suit different quilters. As long as we do what makes us happy, it's all good! :-D :-D
How about - because that was the way my mother taught me to do it! And that is the only way I know how to do it. And also, most importantly, it gives me time to reflect on what I have accomplished, where it is going, who is going to use it and if they feel the love that I put into it. Edie