Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people buy so many fat quarters?

I will buy fat quarters if the print or color catches my eye. I use them in exchanges, and to do small projects, like pincushions, stuffed toys, or exchange blocks.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I buy FQ's if I can't find the color or print in yardage. I have a small collection of them.

Blog Entries
    I bought them initially to help add variety to my growing new stash. Now I purchase them for table toppers/runners (small projects) or for punch fabrics and for swaps/secret pals.

I love to make scrappy quilts, and I lOVE varity!

Well, its like this.......

1. They are a great way to try different color combinations without breaking the bank....
    2. Allow me to indulge...texture, color, prints.......
    3. Builds my stash
    4. They all look so pretty whe I stack them in my sewing and quilting cubbies......

~~~smiling~~~~
    :lol: :lol:

It's like buying a candy bar , instead of a whole box of candy. It satisfies the craving ... for that moment.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Why use 1 red when you can use 20? A lot of times if I'm doing a quilt with repeated blocks instead of using just one fabric I'll use several. It gives the quilt personality. Fat quarters are a measured amount and I know I can pull four out and they're a yard.

I have done a couple of quilts that were really fat quarter friendly too. I pulled 10 yellow, 10 orange, and 10 pink fat quarters from my stash and made the queen size Orion Star Thangles quilt. Beats paying $200 for the kit! And I like my colors way better.
    Amen!
    This was my 2nd quilt ever, made over a decade ago. I could have made it with 3 fabrics - one blue, one green and one yellow. I don't think it would have had the same effect. (It's now my nap quilt.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    It's like buying a candy bar , instead of a whole box of candy. It satisfies the craving ... for that moment.
    I like your reasoning! Here lately I've found myself doing just that. It does take care of that fix.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I like your reasoning! Here lately I've found myself doing just that. It does take care of that fix.
    And you never really run out of fabric. If you need more, then you just need to find another FQ (or few) that are the same color or value as the others, instead of pulling your hair out to find the same EXACT fabric.

Besides the fact they look cute on my shelf, I do mostly lap quilts for charity and love having the variety for scrappiness. Like Scissor Queen, at times I pull groups of colors from those little stacks. The rest of my stash is 2+ yds of fabric I like or have a project in mind for.

lol...the candy reasoning works well here also!

I love fat quarters. They make great stars (as in quilt for Grandson), they are great for wall hangings, just happy to look at after a long, frustrating day sometimes!

Blog Entries
    I would rather have four fat quarters of the same fabric then one yard. It's so much easier to handle when cutting. I buy yardage of blender fabrics and fat quarters to add the color and design to the quilt.

I normally make wall hangings with two inch strips around the edges. I'd rather buy the fat quarters for the strips; instead of the yardage, I don't like cutting into several yards. I have found that the fat quarters are just the right amount of fabric plus alittle left for my scraps.
    Stephanie :>

I can not resist fat quarters.... I have shoe boxes full of them. I use them a lot for carpenter stars. But I'm a scrapquilt lover so they came in handy for that too.

I buy fat qtrs to round out some of my scraps in order to make enough for another quilt. I do mostly scrappy quilts & use a lot of colors, so for accents a fat qtr will often add that extra pop to a design that I couldn't afford otherwise. I'd love to get yardage all the time, but it's just not doable with our budget. The old something rather than nothing adage.

Blog Entries
    I don't use fat quarters. I would rather have several yards of material. My scraps makes scrappy quilts.

I, usually, don't buy fat quarters unless they are on sale. I'd rather buy the yardage and make my own fat quarters and jelly rolls. It's cheaper that way!

Blog Entries
    I do a lot of paper piecing so FQ's are great for that. I also like to make quilts for the local "Linus Project". If the local chapter puts out a newsletter saying the supply of quilts on hand is low, it's easy to grab a handfull of FQ's and a couple of my "go-to, never-fail, quick quilts" and in a couple of days have some for them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    My stash consists mostly of fat quarters. I like scrappy quilts and that is how I quilt. Even the quilt behind my little girls has multiple different oranges, greens and even different whites. I like the feel of quilts that are not perfect matchy match and fat quarters force you to do that.
    Oh, I love those. ;) :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin
    I have been wondering this for a long time, but a fat quarter really isn't enough to do much with in a quilt. It is fine if you are doing a scrappy type quilt, but when doing a quilt that is larger and you use 8-10 different fabrics, a fat quarter is like "nothing".

Why do so many people seem so focused on buying fat quarters? I do scrappy quilts--and will continue to do them, with scraps, mostly, not purchased fat quarters.

So, I'm wondering, what do you all do with your fat quarters? Do you buy more than one of the same, and if so, why not just buy 1/2 yard or more of yardage?
    When I first started quilting a few years ago I bought some fat quarters. Now I buy at least a yard of my fabrics. I find I have a hard time parting with the fat quarter because I am afraid I will want it for something else if I use it. Crazy, I know. I find I also use more full widths of fabric for the things I do.

Vat
    You get lots of variety without having to buy lots of fabric. In your focus fabric, you buy lots more, yardage, and then you get fat quarters for the rest of the fabric. And there are lots of patterns using fat quarters. Check them out , you will soon learn the reason for buy fat quarters.

And actually sometimes you can get more out of a fat quarter than a reg. quarter. You can get 99 2 inch sqaures from a FQ only 90 from a reg 1/4 that is 9 inches wide! And it would be cheaper to find FQ on sale and buy as many as you needed instead of buying a layer cake. A layer cake averages about 87 cents for every piece of fabric depending on how many fabrics are in the collection. If you can find FQ for 1.00-1.50 you can get two 10 inch squares from the FQ and only spend 50-75 cents a piece!

I have never bought fat quarters (or charms, or layer cakes, etc.) I mostly make scrappy quilts but buy 1/2 yard pieces. This adds to my stash for the next quilt. I would think the fat quarters (charms, layer cakes) would be more expensive
    than a cut of fabric. I am curious as well,
    'Why do people buy so many fat quarters"?

Blog Entries
    I buy them because they are "purdy"...LOL.....actually, I do applique and I like to have lots of variety of smaller pieces around. Also...I don't have lots of room to store fabric, so I buy smaller pieces..that way I can have more.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast