Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people buy so many fat quarters?

I've bought fat quarters for years since I have mostly made table centers, and never many larger projects. They work for the bow tucks bags too, but lately I've started buying some yardage. Not to say I will expand to larger projects, but mostly because of the cost of fabric.

Picking up a fat quarter is like picking up a candy bar. I love them. I also will use a group of pinks or greens or what ever color I am working with to give the quilt more personality. Plus they are just so cute. If you are on a budget you can buy a fat or two at a time and not break the bank. so the stash begins.....

Blog Entries
    Jo Ann's has them on sale quite often. Use them for those "snap bags" (carpenters tape to help them close), hot pads, little shoulder bags, applique, etc.

Blog Entries
    it"s like a treat with 0 calories

and I love the variety they add

I use fat quarters for BOM's, accents for some of my quilts and it is fun to use for a variety in a design. Here is one I made for my niece who likes purple. She loved it. Pattern from Fons and Porter magazine.

My neice and I with her quilt. 35 different purples.
    Name:  Attachment-171343.jpe
Views: 35
Size:  72.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kateyb
    I use fat quarters for BOM's, accents for some of my quilts and it is fun to use for a variety in a design. Here is one I made for my niece who likes purple. She loved it. Pattern from Fons and Porter magazine.
    I love the pattern and choice of colors. By chance, do you know what issue the pattern was in? I have a lot of the issues and could look thru them all, but if you have the issue handy, it would be faster and allow me more time to stitch. LOL. Thanks. :lol:

Luv your avatar.

Luv your avatar.Quiltarella

Blog Entries
    I am a fat quarter junkie! I buy them to make charity quilts. I can get six 6 1/2 inch blocks out of a fat quarter and can quickly make a 6x6 block quilt out of 6 fat quarters (plus extra fabric for borders). Another reason I buy them is that a quilt store I haunt marks its fabrics down significantly and I can buy fat quarters for as low as $1.20 each. The owner marks ALL of her fat quarters down like this so I get a fabulous variety of novelty fabrics for about $5 a yard if I buy the fat quarters. The store has boxes and boxes of fat quarters and it is like Christmas digging through them all. I love the novelty fabrics for charity quilts--so that's why I am a fat quarter junkie!

I'm fairly new to quilting. So I'll buy fat quarters when a particular print catches my eye. I don't have a real stash at this point, so having fat quarters on hand works great for scrappy type quilts. I'll buy yardage if I have a specific pattern in mind or if I want a focus fabric.

I don't buy fat quarters very often I buy yard pieces. Fat quarters are good for nickle quilts

Daryl

I love FQs - when I want to buy fabric but have nothing in mind buying a FQ (well, they are like M&Ms, can't have just one) satisfies my mind with very little guilt. I also have 3 books of FQ patterns and a few mags and URLs with FQ patterns. I do very few bed size quilts, so FQs let me use more colors and be creative. I also do lots of little things like sweet treat bags, pincushions, coin purses, etc.

I have learned to buy 1/2yds of fabrics I like so that I have a little more wiggle room, plus it's only about a $1-2 more and I can get 2 FQs by cutting my 1/2yd in half.

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    I buy fat quarters because they are easy to manage for cutting. I do my cutting backwards of most people so having smaller pieces of fabric is easier. Plus I love to paper piece and fat quarters are great for that.

It was called Spinning Rails from the July/August 2004 issue of Love of Quilting Magazine

It was called Spinning Rails from the July/August 2004 issue of Love of Quilting Magazine
    Thanks, I will look for it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie2
    I love the pattern and choice of colors. By chance, do you know what issue the pattern was in? I have a lot of the issues and could look thru them all, but if you have the issue handy, it would be faster and allow me more time to stitch. LOL. Thanks. :lol:
    It was called Spinning Rails in the July/August 2004 issue of Love of Quilting Magazine.

Moz
    Oh, Annaquilts, these are lovely!

One of my fav FQ quilts is the Yellow Brick Road pattern. It's one of the first patterns I made when I started to use them and it's what I'd say is a very entertaining pattern.

Moz
    Kateyb, your rail fence is far more exciting that a plain one. I Likeee!

Blog Entries
    I sometimes buy them if the fabric is not on a bolt...but, fancy fabrics don't come in fq like velvets, so I just have them cut me a quarter yard, which is sometime cheaper than buying the precuts! They are also easier to store in small plastic bins than yardage!!!!

I buy fat quarters for the colors. They're great to transition from one color to the other, add shading, variety and the "unexpected". Yes, at the LQS they can be more expensive than a full yard, but they round out the color palette inexpensively, if that makes sense.

Many times FQ come in fabrics that are no longer avaliable on the bolt so you get a greater variety. Also there are many patterns such as Yellow brick road that are FQ friendly. I have a pattern that takes 22 FQ- (how hard was that to find that many fat quareters.) Also you get better cutting from FQ than you do 1/4 yd. I feel that the price for FQ is equal to 1/4 price per yard.

I like fat quarters for variety and applique - They work well for a lot of 30's patterns where you need different fabrics - I also like precuts for some things

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie2
    It was called Spinning Rails in the July/August 2004 issue of Love of Quilting Magazine.

What a lovely quilt! I really like all the purple fabrics. Thanks for sharing with us.

I started buying FQ's for several different BOM patterns I was following. I had been a sewer and crafter but then started into quilting doing a BOM from JoAnns.

Some of us start with FQ's to get a stash of fabric started and because we have budget issues to consider.

Lately I have to have a FQ for a monthly drawing in one of my guilt guilds. So instead of buying a FQ, many times I'm buying a 1/2 yard. This way I get a FQ along with joining in the FQ lottery.

If I really like the fabric and it's on sale, and the budget allows, then I may purchase a 1 yard cut. This is especially true if I'm collecting fabric for a special project.

As you progress with your quilting and see that your sewing more quilt tops instead of just blocks, then you buy more.

I've also been doing a yearly purchase project such as Thimbleberries. I've been able to find one shop that has a Frugal BOM program and has a payment plan for getting the setting kit and backing.

(I asked if they had one, they didn't, so I suggested that with the current economy that it might be highly received by their customers. They did for this BOM program. Yeah!! Hopefully they'll continue this practice with other kits and BOM programs and that other shops will think to have this option for their customers.)

Pam M

Blog Entries
    I like to make table runners and pot holders and key fobs and purses and fat quarters are great for them as well as many other things

[quote=quiltsRfun]I wasn't very excited about fat quarters until I made a quilt from Eleanor Burns Quick Quarter Quilts book.

I thought I had all her books but this is one I have not seen. I checked on the web site and did a search but could not find it. Is it quick trip quilts? Can I see a pic of the cover. It sounds like one I would like a lot.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast