Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Why do so many people buy so many fat quarters?

I don't really buy FQs unless at a yard sale or something like that. What I do is make my own when I deconstruct clothing, linens, etc. from the thrift store, yard sales and such. By folding those sizes of fabrics into FQ shapes and storing them together, I have the convenience of FQs without the extra expense of buying them precut. Here is a photo of my mostly homemade FQ's.

I store them in a rotating CD cabinet
    Name:  Attachment-171673.jpe
Views: 56
Size:  82.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Jamie there a 18 by 22 piece of fabric that can be used for scrappy quilts,applique lots of things,,,,,

Wildyard - what a neat idea, I like that.

I have only bought 1 FQ so far (to see what it was about - I am new to quilting) - and like someone else here said, I find myself "saving" it for ---. Need to research some FQ patterns for ideas and I am dabbling in applique and paper piecing where it seems like they would probably be good.

QUESTION: Has anyone ever refused to cut/sell you less than a yard of fabric at a time? The back of my mind is reminding me it seems like I saw a "minimum of 1 yard cuts" somewhere.

Marysewfun

Blog Entries
    some online stores with sales going on will say no less than a yd, but quilt stores, joann's that Iv gone to Iv gotten 1/8 of yd without any problem, just needed a little to finish up a project

I buy FQs for applique - and just because I like looking at them on my shelf!

I don't buy FQs. I just can't justify paying that much more than fabric per yard.

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    I don't really buy FQs unless at a yard sale or something like that. What I do is make my own when I deconstruct clothing, linens, etc. from the thrift store, yard sales and such. By folding those sizes of fabrics into FQ shapes and storing them together, I have the convenience of FQs without the extra expense of buying them precut. Here is a photo of my mostly homemade FQ's.
    Linda, I love your repurposing idea! That is something I am going to look for at yard sales and thrift stores.

Blog Entries
    I have quit buying fat quarters unless I need them for applique :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    My stash consists mostly of fat quarters. I like scrappy quilts and that is how I quilt. Even the quilt behind my little girls has multiple different oranges, greens and even different whites. I like the feel of quilts that are not perfect matchy match and fat quarters force you to do that.
    Your quilts are unbelievably beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by glenda5253
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    Linda, I love your repurposing idea! That is something I am going to look for at yard sales and thrift stores.
    I love your repurposing idea also. I am downsizing my dvd and cd collection and have a similar cabinet that is about 5 feet tall. Already thinking how "pretty" it will look with fabric on its shelves!

Quote Originally Posted by glenda5253
    I don't buy FQs. I just can't justify paying that much more than fabric per yard.
    I also agree with this statement.....never could figure out why people would pay the amount they do for fats when buying the same yardage was much less expensive. I do realize many people make many scrappy quilts so this gives them more of a variety to use. I don't purchase any of those other types of pre-cuts either....just seems like it's so much more expensive rather than purchasing yardage. I can always find more uses for my leftover fabrics rather than having to depend on the pre-cuts and fats concerned that they would truly give me the amount of fabric I need. Have always worried if I mistakenly cut something wrong I'd be in a real mess. I just think there are people that cut without mistakes so it's no problem for them.

thanks,I tought it was the little expensive pieces but wasn't sure.

Fabric is so expensive when one lives on a stricy budget. I often make scrap quilts but with a theme quilt sometimes i only need one or two more prints. I do not buy them if I can buy a half yard. Lots of place here in Ok do not sell by the yd but prepackaged or fat quarters.

Blog Entries
    I can't see paying that much a yard. I buy 1/2 yard, get 2 fat quarters if the pattern calls out for a fq, use one and put the other in my stash. Many times in fq you can't see the mfg.'s name, I like to know it is a reliable name when putting that much work in a quilt.

I guess I should call this TIGHTWADS REIGN! If I like a fabric enough to buy it, I usually buy a minimum of 2 yards. It has to be pretty spectacular ( like when I'm at a quilt show) for me to pay $10 a yard. Being extremely frugal, I use every 50% coupon I can. I have a JoAnn VIP card that gives me an additional 10% off...so I will occasionally buy a fabric marked 40% off, then still use my VIP card. After a specific project, I cut up the remainder, usually getting at least one fat quarter and a smaller piece. At my $5 a yard preferred price, I never buy fat quarters unless they are $1.25 a piece..which is rare. I will admit they are convenient for a lot of patterns but if you pay $2.50 a piece for them, you're back up to $10 a yard. (cheap,cheap,cheap)

I just went to a sale and bought fq's for 50 cents each. It's hard to pass them up at that price. I bought certain colors to go in quilts i will make.

That's a good question. I just love FQs. Not sure exactly why. I actually find it difficult to buy "yardage"...too much of a commitment?

I have to say that I enjoy making quilts that are more of a "scrappy" nature so this might be part of the reason. Also, you get to have more of a variety or more bang for your buck I guess.

Don't really know...just love them! :thumbup:

I am not really in favour of fat quarters (saying this I do buy them on occasion) as I think they are too expensive for a little bit of material that you really can't do a lot with in a project, again dependent on size. Would rather buy a 1/2 metre or more.

Maybe1day

Power Poster
    sometimes I buy them because of the patterns that is on them that I cann't find on a bolt.

Blog Entries
    I never buy fat quarters.
    I don't really do scrap quilts so I need more yardage I make queen /king size quilts fat quareters just don't do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    I wasn't very excited about fat quarters until I made a quilt from Eleanor Burns Quick Quarter Quilts book. I liked it so well I can't wait to make another one and I'm finding all kinds of fat quarter collections I love.
    QuiltsRFun, could you please be more explicit with this Eleanor Burns book. I googled Quick Quarter Quilts book and didn't find anything by Eleanor Burns. Thanks,
    Janet in Ohio

Don't buy as many FQ as I USED to ... but they are great for applique, for scrappy quilts which I LOVE, and just to give that varied background look or for more shades of color ... like someone here said, why use just 1 red etc when you can use 10 or 20 ... I agree ! :)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5