Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do they call it a "stash"? >

Why do they call it a "stash"?

Why do they call it a "stash"?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:07 AM

Lots of Ladies feel the need to "stash" their purchases. I don't, my fabric is out for the world to see.

Only thing I need to stash is chocolate! It's my husband's downfall.....he loves it.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:40 AM

While the real definition of stash is a secret store, I think the word stash for quilters is to buy now for later use. No one has to know how much later! We all know that we WILL get around to a lot of it later and if we don't get it when it is just printed, we'll miss out on it.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:41 AM

luckily (or not), i share my love of quilting with my girlfriend. we enable each other terribly; sometimes, one of us is the voice of reason. anyway, when we get home, we go through all of the fabric. then, i put it all away in our shared space. when one of us is ready to use some fabric, sometimes we have to ask the other if it was purchased for me or her. this is not the norm, though. our taste in fabric overlaps just a little. it is fun (or terrible) that we share our accumulation.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
"Stash" came into modern usage through the drug culture; referencing someone's dope cache.

Before, 'to stash' simply meant to put something away for future need and 'stash' was the noun. It implies secrecy.......Squirrels stash nuts, nuts stash guns and ammo, the thrifty stash cash under the mattress and the revenue officers look for the moonshine stash.

"Stash" is also short for the hairy growth above the mouth. If I'm not religiously careful to depilate, my quilter's stash will be seen on my upper lip.
what a hoot! love your humor.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
I'm single and I enjoy my stash ..... some of neighbors wonder about me because I've given over my dining room (spreading into living room) but this is MY house and I've decided I'll live as I want.
that's what i did for several years, but got tired of packing it away every holiday, and if the kids came home. so i just moved everything to the basement. hubby offered to move in back upstairs to the sun room if i wanted, but i told him 'no way'. i like the mess downstairs. but i have found that i keep it surprisingly neat. and it's all in 1/2 the basement. everything i own, the handi quilter frame, and everything. love it. and him for helping me make it so nice.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:51 PM

FART = Fabric Acquisition Road Trip......well, according to you, I'm about to take a 'FART'!! This is too funny!! Sorry if I've offended anyone, but seriously, I'm off on a road trip to as many quilt shops in eastern long island as I can fit in two days time!!
Old 09-15-2012, 09:12 PM

How can I get a copy of these abbreviations. Can you email them to me. I would love to have a copy for my guild.
[email protected]
Old 09-16-2012, 05:50 PM

My best quilter friend does not have a stash. She calls her stash "my resourse center". A very apt name I think.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 PM

It is stash because we buy it and stash it in every drawer, nook, cranny, closet that we can find to stuff it....just for safe keeping of course...not hiding from husbands. My niece once looked at me in a quilt store and said loudly "Aunt Sherry, step away from that fabric". Of course everyone looked and laughed. She knows how big my stash is and knows I don't ever need to buy another piece of "stash".
Old 09-19-2012, 07:16 AM

I don't call my fabric a 'stash.' I keep it along an outside wall, and call it 'insulation.'