Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do we do this? >

Why do we do this?

Why do we do this?

Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 AM

You need to sit that daughter down and explain to her how you feel about qulting and show her this site. Not every one enjoys art quilting. I have no desire to go that route. Fortuneately my family and friends love what I do and get quite excited when i hand them some of my work. Simple, often with mistakes, but made with love.

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
I spend way to much on quilting but it is what I love to do.
My family dosnt know what goes into quilting and my daughter keeps throwing some woman she knows who is an art quilter at me.
The stores carry slave labor quilts that are cheap to buy.
It is discouraging but it is what I want to do and the pleasure you get from it is priceless.
Reading is my other love and it is much cheaper. So between the two Im happy and satisfied.
Just bought two kits to try out so off to the sewing room.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]365932[/ATTACH]Why do I spend all the time and money instead of just buying a gift? This is why....when I gave this grandaughter her quilt, she was so happy..the next morning she called me to tell me that the quilt made her feel like she was covered in love all night long....THAT is reason enough for me!!
This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 AM

One year I was hooked on making the folded quilt balls to hang on the Christmas tree. I made one for everyone I worked with (over 50 people) and each member of my family. Each person still tells me they are still enjoying the ornament I made and it was over 10 years ago. They were so much fun to make and I recently saw them at the SD Quilt Show and in a magazine.

Another year I was addicted to making crocheted angels. They were the kind that sat on your counter but they ranged from 3 inches high to 10 inches.

I made tons of them - my mother thought there were adorable and so I sent 6 of them to her to share with her neighbors. She had a grand time taking them to the neighbors letting them pick out the one they wanted. Since these people were the type that would bring them (my parents) cookies and such they were thrilled by the gesture. One lady told my mom later her grand daughter saw hers and asked to keep it in her bedroom.

It's those moments that keep us going.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 AM

I just enjoy making stuff.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:57 AM

Right on...Grannie Annie
Old 09-28-2012, 01:37 PM

I quilt because I love playing with delicious fabrics and colors. I can do anything I like with them, cut, slice, dice, patch, twist -- you name it. The fabrics never complain and sometimes I even get paid to play. Neat, isn't it?
Old 09-28-2012, 03:05 PM

I quilt, play, try out ideas with fabric because it is creative. I rotate between designing clothes, painting pictures and working on designing quilts, embellishing the fabric that goes into the quilt. Sometimes a child or two gets something as a gift; sometimes a child or right now, a church . requests a painting on a specific subject. sometimes a grandchild wants some clothes designed. I do because I enjoy the "doing". When it is no longer fun I will quit.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:02 PM

I am on a mission to make every family member a quilt. I have done all the ones for the immediate family, am now working on nieces and nephews. I would like my tombstone to read: "My two greatest contributions to this earth are my son and daughter....and a few quilts"
Old 09-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Keeps me sane too, and besides I get a kick out of cutting up perfectly good fabric and re-arranging it into something I have created. Makes me smile when others do. I just like to create, I even love embroidering tea towels because they look neat.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:01 PM

I do it more for me than those I give my quilts to. It feeds the creative need and I love seeing my skills improve over the years. =)