Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do we do this? >

Why do we do this?

Why do we do this?

Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 PM

1. I love the creative aspect of it all.
2. Besides my brain would go to mush if all I did was watch TV when we quit farming.
3. You meet so many fun people.
4. Echoing what's said before, I feel we've put something of ourselves into the gift.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:57 AM

Let me start by saying that this is the first thread that I have read the entire thing since I don't know when. I agree with so many of the answers. The overall theme to me seems to be that quilting saves sanity and I know it has saved mine. I'd be sewing right now if it weren't 4:00 a.m.
I started getting interested in quilting when I got a job at Walmart working in the fabric department ... I grew up knitting and crocheting but was almost 50 years old before I tried quilting. I can do a little bit of it all ... the cross-stitch, crewel embroidery, plastic canvas. Only thin I can't do is scrapbooking 'cause it just don't make sense.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:14 AM

makes sense to ask him to buy the blanket. you just met the man, remember, this way you'll know if he is serious and you'll know how heavy he wants it, since blankets come in different weights.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:17 AM

i quilt because i am an artist when i choose colors and layouts. as a photographer, some day, i hope to do landscape quilts from some of my photos. i relax when i'm quilting, it seems to be an excusable way not to keep at the house all the time. My DH, just laughed and told his buddies at work, that he could tell when i'd been quilting by how much stuff was piled up in the sinks. My kids really appreciate their handmade quilts and those who haven't gotten theirs yet are clamoring to be next.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I make items for myself. I enjoy shopping for the supplies and creating something. I won't give a quilt away that I spent months making. I save those for my beds or to display in my quilt racks. I give away the fast block quilts and baby quilts. The fast quilts I have no emotional ties to and couldn't care less if they are used or tossed aside. I haven't given up cleaning or having pretty flower beds yet but I have given up day time tv.
I am just the opposite. I enjoy every minute of the planning, purchasing, & making with the intended receipient in mind & I try to make something unique. That being said, I also put the time & effort into things I make for myself - but those things also usually end up being given away. I am knitting now on the 3rd "blanket" for my bed - the first 2 being given away - one to a great granddaughter who loved it & one to my son-in-law, he wanted me to make him an afghan because the one he had was scratchy. I just gave that one to him. I'm hoping I get to keep the one I'm working on now - lol.

DD & I are getting ready to put a "winter" quilt on the frames - since we hand quilt, our output is not as great as those who machine quilt, but we enjoy just being able to sit down & quilt for a few minutes between "chores". This top is a log cabin made probably 5-6 years ago - lol. We usually quilt 2 quilts each winter.

hugs
Shirley in Indiana
Old 09-29-2012, 05:28 AM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
It does keep me sane at times. Besides when I am finished I feel so accomplished.

But this past weekend this fellow I met for the first time was happy to find out I was a quilter and he asked me why quilts are no light weight now. My belief was because women that could not afford batting used what they could, one thing being old wool blankets. Especially when men came home from the service they brought these very scratchy wool blankets home. They were very warm but very scratchy, so women covered them and they became quilts. My mother did it with my father's blanket. I could be very wrong, but he was fairly sure that's what his mother did. They were also fairly inexpensive at the surplus store and often found at the second hand shops. So he wants one now because they pitched all the ones his mother had after she died. I told him to go buy the wool blanket and I would be able to do the rest.

Was I wrong asking him to buy the wool blanket first? i felt this was the best way to find out if he was really serious. There is a surplus store near him that he can go to to get the blankets. I just had a feeling in my gut that if I went to buy them they would be the wrong size or not heavy enough or something. This way if he really wants one, he will be able to see before its made how heavy it will be.
I have made a couple of quilts with wool blanket lining rather than batting for the warmth and for economic reasons. I find them quite charming!

Like most of you here with my crafts, including sewing and quilting. So many times friends and family suggested I should mass produce for money. I tell them my works are all labors of love. If I am forced to make something, I have already lost interest. I love the creative process. I am also very judgemental about my work. I never feel is is good enough for retail nor the price that I would have to charge factoring in materials and time. I am terrible at FMQ, but still love doing it. Funny, I am not judgemental about other folks work...just mine. Some of the folks here do such phenominal work. When I grow up, I want to be just like them!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:39 AM

I have also had people tell me I should sell my creations. First of all, no one could afford to buy at the price I would have to ask. Second, as soon as you start selling, it becomes a JOB, and I retired because I didn't want to WORK any more. I used to sew for people, home dec stuff. I got so sick of dealing with their ignorance of what goes into making drapery and bedcovers, etc. that I just stopped doing it. Now I find so much more satisfaction in doing quilts for various charities. If I can go to bed at night knowing I made one person happy, that is all I need in my life.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:04 AM

I quilt and knit and whatever because it gives me such pleasure. I have a very loving DH, 3 dogs and 1 cat who give me pleasure too. But whenever I spy fabric, my mind starts thinking about what I could make from it. Certain colors call out to me and I am excited as a 3 year old with a new toy. I especially like quilts with color and have a lot of white in them, I enjoy seeing them on my bed. I buy vintage quilts, vintage quilt tops and vintage quilt blocks. I repair and clean them and I love them. I change my quilt on my bed each week so I can see them. For the first time in my aging life, I do something entirely for me. I only make quilts that I love, if I choose to give them away, that's OK, but I made what I love. I do not sew anything for others, did that once and it turned out to be a disaster. Lesson learned. I do make quilts as gifts but they are always my pattern and my fabrics. This is my hobby and I love it. I am in bliss when I sew a quilt, God has blessed me with this wonderful gift of quilting.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
I only Quilt and Knit because it gives me pleasure and I find it rewarding and relaxing. It doesn't mean that I have stopped buying knitted things or quilts!! I still do both.
I do it because it is a way of showing love to my family and close friends, and sometimes for raffles or blanket drives, etc. But nygal's statement stopped me cold. Rewarding, yes, relaxing, NO. I am obsessed when I am quilting. Driven!

But also, I like the idea that when I'm gone, the people in my family will have a memory of me that is positive. Each quilt has been made especially for each person and none have been made with a pattern (except what I, or the recipient made). Right now a dragon is on my quilt wall for an "almost" grandson. We went out together to buy the fabric (ALL the ladies in each LQS we ventured into fell in love with the college aged lad... I had to interrupt to ask a question! That adds to my memories and his!). I like the idea leaving a legacy of quilts throughout the family.

Also, I have worked with several grandchildren, male and female, on quilt making. More memories..... And, yes, I do love the creative process, like making a design or picture that will fit the person for whom it is intended. I love trying out new techniques. My technical sewing isn't that good, but it is organic and I guess that shows.

Last edited by Sierra; 09-29-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:49 AM

I love the process, from finding a pattern I want to make, buying the fabric, (well, maybe not the cutting so much), putting blocks together, seeing how the design comes together, hand and machine quilting. I usually make the quilts for me-something I like. I hope my children and grandchildren will one day enjoy them as much as I love having quilts in my home that were made by loved ones now gone. I loved the idea of having a quilt party and letting each family member choose their favorite. I did design a quilt for my grandson that he is getting for high school graduation next Spring. I have purchased fabric when I see something that just calls out that it "suits" one of my children or grandchildren, but usually I like to have a pattern before I choose the fabric. I love fabric stores, my LQS is my favorite, but I also go to a LQS in my hometown 75 miles away. I get great satisfaction when a quilt is completed. I tell my grandchildren that their Nana is crazy, she takes perfectly good fabric and cuts it up into tiny little pieces just to sew it back together again. I just made a doll quilt with my 6 yr old granddaughter. She picked out the fabric from the stash and stayed with me every minute of the process. She liked choosing and setting the decorative stitches we used to machine quilt it together. Maybe I have another generation quilter coming up - that would be wonderful.