Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT? >

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Old 10-26-2011, 02:31 PM

For me it is a completely rewarding, relaxing and enjoyable past time. :)
Old 10-26-2011, 02:32 PM

It's my creative outlet
Because I can
I love working with color
I love making gifts for others
I love working with my hands
It keeps me out of trouble
I'd like my family/friends to remember me when they look at what I've made them
Quilting keeps me sane
Old 10-26-2011, 02:36 PM

why not??

It's a great stress reliever, it's challenging, I like to stretch myself and push myself to see what I can do.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:44 PM

I was one of those little girls playing 'tent' under the quilt frame as my relatives and family friends worked on the quilt over the heads of myself and my cousins. Then I graduated to threading dozens of needles onto a spool of thread to help out the more aged eyes among the quilters...but of course, I was still young enough to want to get under the frame with everyone after my chore. This is something I still do (with my thankfully good eyes...when visiting relatives or friends in senior homes..... thread all the needles they have onto the spools of thread they are using...that way they can pull off the amount of thread they need, slide one needle onto it and clip off. All the other needles remain till needed.) In time I was moved to one of the chairs with the other quilters and loved being included in the group. I have been quilting (meaning my first tops) since I was a teen, but every quilting session, whether on the treadle, the featherweight, pfaff, or nolting longarm, is a time to commune with all the other women in my life, my family and merely others who enjoy my hobbies. I love the sense of herstory that accompanies all handwork that may have been a necessity at one time and is a hobby now.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by deemail
I was one of those little girls playing 'tent' under the quilt frame as my relatives and family friends worked on the quilt over the heads of myself and my cousins. Then I graduated to threading dozens of needles onto a spool of thread to help out the more aged eyes among the quilters...but of course, I was still young enough to want to get under the frame with everyone after my chore. This is something I still do (with my thankfully good eyes...when visiting relatives or friends in senior homes..... thread all the needles they have onto the spools of thread they are using...that way they can pull off the amount of thread they need, slide one needle onto it and clip off. All the other needles remain till needed.) In time I was moved to one of the chairs with the other quilters and loved being included in the group. I have been quilting (meaning my first tops) since I was a teen, but every quilting session, whether on the treadle, the featherweight, pfaff, or nolting longarm, is a time to commune with all the other women in my life, my family and merely others who enjoy my hobbies. I love the sense of herstory that accompanies all handwork that may have been a necessity at one time and is a hobby now.
What wonderful memories you have :D
Old 10-26-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by deemail
Well said...thoughtful and from the heart :-)
Old 10-26-2011, 03:06 PM

I love fabric, love to sew, love to handquilt, love quilts on my beds, on the walls and all around my house. Reason enough?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:06 PM

All of the above. I have always sewed clothes for myself and have gotten to the point I don't like doing it anymore and quilts have always fasicnated me. My grandmother would say why are you cutting up that perfectly good fabric into pieces !! She made do with what she had; I have her summer quilts-no batting and other unfinished tops that I finished and they seemed to have alot of bubblegum pink and turkey red in them.
I am now making Sunbonnet Sue for my grandaughter with some of her scraps included; to me that is what quilting is about.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:10 PM

No matter how frustrated I am with a pattern, or how many 'duh' moments I have had in my sewing room, when that light bulb goes off in my brain and I graph out, calculate, cut, sew and finally see my one of my 'idle thoughts' come to life...at that moment I feel like I could conquer the world. It can be as addicting as drugs.

And I think THAT FEELING is the reason that I have never found a pattern that I could not 'improve' upon--and make more difficult!

My name is GingerK and I am a sewing room junkie.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:11 PM

Artistic Expression...Can't draw or paint a picture but can do it with fabric and thread...