Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You Quilt? >

Why Do You Quilt?

Why Do You Quilt?

Old 06-16-2013, 10:49 AM

I quilt because I love the feel of fabric in my hands, I am NOT creative, but I can use a pattern, pre cuts, yardage and kits to produce something I think is beautiful. I'm not a perfectionist so there are some pretty major flaws in some quilts. I love giving them away and feel like I'm just plain selfish in my pursuit of fabric, kits and precuts that make me happy just having them. I have lots of stuff that I really plan to get to someday. I love it all. The cutting out, piecing (not so much the sandwiching). the quilting and sewing the binding by hand. I don't know why it gives me so much pleasure I just know it does. When I am in a slump and think I will never quilt again I feel empty and at loose ends. But a kit, precut, fabric or pattern always call me back. Thanks for asking!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:22 AM

I quilt because I'm tired of hearing my husband say for over 20 years, "No, my wife doesn't quilt, she just buys fabric and books!" And, of course, being a "fabricholic" every nook and cranny in our house is filled with you know what. It's past time to pay the piper, so I purchased a Symphony Baby Lock and am ready to get serious.....Love this Quilting Board and reading all the hints and tips from you wonderful quilters. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:01 PM

I quilt to see if I can get things to match up. HA! I need to keep my mind busy and like to have a challenge. Plus, it's a joy to give quits to family or charity.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:20 PM

This is such a great question and the answers are so special to me. They show how much we sewers/quilters have in common. I made my first quilt in the late 70s. I took a class at a local fabric shop in town. It is a king-size quilt and I am ashamed to say it is still not finished. At the time that I sewed this quilt, they were selling clear acrylic rulers. I bought three widths; 1", 1 1/2" and 2". I still have them. I was hand quilting this quilt and then set it aside. I have been thinking about that quilt lately and I vow to get it out and finish it. I tied it so that I was able to use it while quilting it. One of the main fabrics, which is a clay color has faded badly. That bothered me and that is why I put it away. While making this quilt, my mother died suddenly of a massive aneurysm. The hand quilting pattern I designed was a combination of her initial and mine.

Why do I quilt? Because I love, love, love to sew. In the 50s as a single mom, I made my own clothes for work and dresses for my daughter. When I remarried a man with 3 children (now had 6) I continued to sew dresses for my daughter. When they were all grown up I continued to sew for myself. Quilting had been lost in the back of my mind. And then my DDIL started quilting and enticed me to quilt again. I love her for that because quilting is one of my favorite pass times. I just love the process of taking fabric, cutting it into pieces and sewing it back together and creating something even more beautiful than what I started with. I am a mediocre quilter but I am okay with my limitations and at age 75 I am okay with pretty much anything that I accomplish. I have taught my two youngest granddaughters to sew/quilt and I have taught my great granddaughter to sew. I hope that they will always remember sewing with me and creating something beautiful. I would rather quilt than cook, clean or eat. I love it!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:37 PM

Interesting question Rhonda. I can remember sitting under the quilting rack with my cousin at my grandmothers quilting bee. My grandmother taught me to sew on her 1916 treadle, she never had any other machine than that in her life - I now have it. I asked her, in the late 70s how to quilt and she took a scrap piece of paper from her pocket book and drew me a couple pics, I followed her instructions from there and made a simple windmill pattern, full size, strictly from old clothing. She was very proud of me when I showed the pieced top to her, she took it and sandwiched it and tied it. She used some 'leftover' old Holly Sugar bags for the backing. I love this quilt more than any that I have, wheather she made them or I have. and when I miss her the most I get it out and wrap up in it. I quilt for love.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:03 PM

I started to quilt because an interior decorator recommenced a chambray bedspread for a bedroom. I couldn't find one, so I decided to make one. then I made to more to layer on that bed. Then, my son was graduating from the Ohio State University, and I wanted to give him something he would love and use for a long time. I made him a quilt in his school colors, scarlet and gray, and he was thrilled. And now I am addicted. I quilt because I like to work my creativity using textiles and colors. I like to give gifts that are personal, and a quilt is very personal. I get a lot of satisfaction and pride in a beautiful quilt that I can put on a bed and complete a room.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:43 PM

I have loved quilts since I was a child. I couldn't wait to get to the "Women's building" at the state fair to see them. As a teenager, I was so impressed by quilts my aunt was making. I was sewing things like curtains. My daughter wanted a canopy bed. I went to library and found a book on how to do that and stumbled on a quilt as you go book. I made them both. She loved the quilt and I loved quilting. I was hooked. I started watching every quilt show on tv. I wasn't self taught, I was taught by Elenor and Kaye.
I now quilt just because it makes me happy. I come home from a stressful day, and anything quilting takes that stress away.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:51 PM

So many of you mentioned having grandmothers who quilted, and you remember them quilting or you have some of their quilts as mementos; I always wanted that, but did not have anyone in the family who quilted. So, I created it for myself-mementos to hand down from generation to generation. I am a history buff, and love the idea of quilters taking scraps of fabric and creating something useful and beautiful from them. I want to be a part of that history, because I love history.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:57 PM

Once I retired I needed more to do. I love the art of quilting. I never feel alone and I always have something fun to do I feel sorry for people who don't have hobbies. I always have hand quilting to do. Not that great at it but I'm going for the rustic look, lol.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:01 PM

Hi Petthefabric: No particular reason for changing the font. Sometimes I add color to it. Just like comic sans font and used it a lot when I was teaching school. The kids like it... I hope it doesn't bother you... or anyone else...

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Quilt Joey. Just curious, why did you change from default to the font you use?

Why do I quilt: Started sewing out of necessity; wanted doll cloths, then with long legs the stirrup pants never fit. Then I got possitive feed back from all over my family so as a kid I felt accepted and accomplished. Kept sewing to have nice cloths that actually fit my not-average body shape. I didn't fit in the cliques and found sewing satisfying.

It's a "clean" form of art. I don't like getting dirty. Even dying has a "dirtyness/messy" to it. I loved watercolor because it was immediate but it was to messy with a little child running around. And I never could get my mind image come out on the paper. Now I can see that luscious idea in the fabric before I even put it into the quilt

To please my daughter, I started quilting and from the beginning discovered I was pretty good. I started to have common interests with other people and had more friends. I've discovered I do best with other people when we work on something while talking. I need something to do with my hands to keep my mind focussed, so I often take handwork to meetings.

I'm always creating, in my head. Quilting focusses that creativeness. I've started doing small wall hangings as i can go from one idea to another, faster. I have more ideas than I can possibly finish in my lifetime, yet they still keep coming.

And now it's back to friends. As we quilt, we discuss the issues of life. I solve a lot of thoughts and questions through relationships and having my hands busy. And I love to Petthefabric