Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you quilt? >

Why do you quilt?

Why do you quilt?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:45 AM

Thats a good question. I came to Spain when I finally retired, my hobby before I came was painting to. I wasnīt a prolific painter but when a picture or a scene came to me that I thought was beautiful I had to paint it. I donīt paint much as the oils always ended up on me and me in a mess.
To me quilting, or my favourite thing applique is painting with material and I love to see the colours and the fabric grow into that picture.

Anyone seen Melinda Bulaīs work, not that is something else.

Elle
Old 07-26-2009, 10:54 AM

I started out making my own clothes, then for many years I made wedding and prom dresses. I made all my daughter's clothes, but sadly there came a time when it was not cool to wear clothes made by your Mum! lol

I had to find another outlet for my creativity, so I ventured into quilting. I started with a double Irish Chain and have never looked back.

Next month my daughter is coming for a few days and asked if I would help her make her first quilt! I am really excited for a few reasons, for over three years my daughter and I didn't speak, I don't know where this will lead, but I hope it will be a relationship that is rewarding to both of us. Another reason I'm excited is she had a baby last December, and I will get to spend time with her and be Grandma!! :) And lastly, I'm excited to be a part of her journey into the world of quilting, and share my stash and my knowledge! lol

Great topic, thanks for posting it!! :)

S.D.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
I started out making my own clothes, then for many years I made wedding and prom dresses. I made all my daughter's clothes, but sadly there came a time when it was not cool to wear clothes made by your Mum! lol

I had to find another outlet for my creativity, so I ventured into quilting. I started with a double Irish Chain and have never looked back.

Next month my daughter is coming for a few days and asked if I would help her make her first quilt! I am really excited for a few reasons, for over three years my daughter and I didn't speak, I don't know where this will lead, but I hope it will be a relationship that is rewarding to both of us. Another reason I'm excited is she had a baby last December, and I will get to spend time with her and be Grandma!! :) And lastly, I'm excited to be a part of her journey into the world of quilting, and share my stash and my knowledge! lol

Great topic, thanks for posting it!! :)

S.D.
What a lovely thing to happen, good luck with the quilting.

Elle
Old 07-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Wow! to such wonderful inspirational stories! I, too, sewed in jr high home ec and 4H. When I was growing up my mom made most of my clothes. For a long time, after I was married, I did not sew. Making clothes never quite worked for me...I was never satisfied with the look/fit. Then one day I was admiring an appliqued sweatshirt at a festival...looked at the price and said, "Gee I could do that much cheaper!" So, I went home and promptly dug our my old machine. Then one day, for some reason, my car just made a stop at a store in a strip mall in a town about 30 miles from home. Going in I discovered it was a quilting store...complete with beautiful fabrics, project designs and, even better, CLASSES!!!! From then on, I have been hooked. I will say, you are all such inspirations and I check out this site frequently. I have trouble with finishing projects...I have several in various stages. And, you know...every child who is having trouble in HS geometry (like I did) should learn to quilt...I completely GET IT now!!! LOL
Old 07-26-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry
Because I love to sew, and quilting was a new challenge. I researched quilting to death before I actually attempted it. Then I found a BOM here on the board that I loved so much I had to give it a try. I piddled and piddled making little experiments here and there after that first block.
Then my nephew was diagnosed with cancer, I decided to make a quilt for his benefit (along with several wonderful ladies here who kindly and gererously donated quilts to the cause). When I showed the top to my dad, who was on home hospice care for cancer of his own...he looked at me and said..."You're so smart, and talented. You can do just about anything ya know. Lisa this is really 'perty'" (Dad was from KY hence the perty LOL). It was the only time I can remember him complimenting anything I did. Now I love quilting even more, because Mom shared with me a few months ago, that even though he didn't tell me personally, he bragged about "Lisa's talents" to anyone that would listen to him. He really was proud of me, so now I do it to honor that pride he felt all along, but couldn't tell me about directly.
Just had to say that is just soo soo sweet and must really make you feel good that your dad was so proud of you :)
Old 07-26-2009, 12:47 PM

I quilt because it is my escape from problems and worries of family and the world. When I am in "my special place", my thoughts center around my creativity. I believe the time I spend quilting gives my brain a rest and a chance to rejuvinate. :wink:
Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 PM

Your stories have touched my heart, thanks for sharing. I want to hear more.
They could be used in a book about quilting in the 21st century... It seems hard to believe, but future generations may find it interesting, just like we like to read the stories of quilters of our past centuries. Hmmm, that means we could be famous!

Old 07-26-2009, 01:31 PM

My great grandma was a quilter on both sides of my family. It is in my blood. I have sewn since a little girl and have quilted for about 14 years. My mom quilts too. It is such a connection to my grandma. I love the creativity and inspiration involved in the entire process. It truly is my entire being.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:31 PM

I quilt to keep my sanity. Its always been my way of relaxing.
Judy in OHio
Old 07-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

I quilt to express myself, to have Christmas presents to give during a time when I don't have much else to give, and because I like shopping for gorgeous fabrics.

I did cross stitch for 17 years, and when the piece was done and framed, that was it. A quilt can keep you warm when you are sitting in December watching an old movie, or writing a poem (but that's another hobby).