Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you quilt? >

Why do you quilt?

Why do you quilt?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:38 PM

I have sewn for years and years -- learned to sew making Barbie & Ken clothes by hand....Then I decided to sew for myself. What was I thinking? Nothing fit and if it did, it was the wrong color, wrong fabric, wrong style, etc. But with quilts -- no big fitting problem. I can put all kinds of colors together that I love but could never wear. And most people like my quilts. It's so satisfying to finish a quilt/table runner/wall hanging, etc. and give it to someone or stash it away for a present later.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:40 PM

Wow, such great replies and insights on this thread. Thank you all for sharing.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

Thank you Eddie for starting the thread!!! :D :D
Old 07-26-2009, 05:53 PM

I have really enjoyed each and everyone one of your replies!

I have always sewn, crocheted, needle punched and have enjoyed many crafts but needed something new and challenging. I have always wanted to quilt. I always wondered how in the heck they made all those triangles etc... Looking at all the rulers. cutters, mats, and everything else that goes along with quilting felt quite intimadating, it was all so very confusing, just didn't know where to start. Finally an aquaintance of mine was taking a class with her daughter and I asked her just to get me started, and the rest is hisory. I have been quilting for three years now. After I started a very dear friend of mine started also. We have shared many hours fondling our fabrics. drawing up patterns, making quilts for our children and grandchildren and friends. We shared vacations and always made sure there was a quilt shop or two along the way... many hours of happiness and sharing. . She is no longer with me but each time I quilt or look at fabric, I smile and remember the many happy memories that this craft has brought to me.
Quilting continues to draw me in, always amazed by the beauties that everyone here shares and I hope that one day I will be an accomplished quilter as many of you are here.

Thank you all for inspirations and kindness.
Eddie thank you for starting this post~

Old 07-26-2009, 05:59 PM

When I was a kid, we had an elderly lady living next door to us. I used to go over and visit. We'd have tea and she taught me to embroider. Sadly, though, when she passed, I had nothing tangible to remember her by. I quilt because working with needle and thread is the only way I will ever approach anything artistic and because, when I am no longer here on Earth, my loved ones will have something tangible to wrap themselves in and feel me nearby.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:20 PM

I started quilting about three years ago after I had my first child. I took a beginners quilting class and made a small table topper. (which still isn't finished binding!) From there, I made some table runners and then a baby quilt for my second child. My projects are slowly growing bigger and I'm working on my first bed size quilt! Hopefully it doesn't turn into a UFO!

Jen
Old 07-26-2009, 06:27 PM

My grandmother was a quilter but I didn't know that until years later. Unlike most of you I don't know how to sew clothes. Most people look at me like I am crazy when I tell them that I can't sew but I couldn't put in a dart, button hole, zipper or anything to save my life.

I tried on my own a long time ago but of course I picked on of the hardest patterns so I gave up and put it away. At that time I was an avid cross stitcher and I was always working on piece during my lunch hour. A lady at worked asked me if I wanted to learn to quilt and then torchered me by bring in books and magazines until I finally relented, as they say that was that.

The best part is that I got my mom hooked on quilting and we shared some wonderful moments together before she died.

I am currently working on a quilt that has hers and mine fabric so I have called it the Mama and Me Quilt.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Banned

i fell into quilting. i was designing handbags and i wanted to learn how to do patchwork so i could incorporate into my handbags.

once i started quilting i just fell in love with it and have never looked back.

making and selling quilts and handbags have really made a huge difference for me. i have spent over a decade in universities and the money i've earned as a artist has paid the entire way.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 PM

Let me see. I'm older and retired now. I've always loved the look and feel of quilts so I thought I'd give it a try many years ago. I may have made 4-8 quilts (not too bad but didn't really know what I was doing) over a long period of time while I was working and had kids at home. After retiring, I wanted to try again. I was doing a little better and only made 2-3 a year, and had kept trying with a little more difficult patterns than I was used to. I wasn't feeling creative enough.
DH retired before I did, then my daughter had a baby. It seemed that all I was doing was cooking, cleaning, etc. and baby-sitting. DH decided that I should have a longarm because I had been looking at them for years. I think he made that decision out of self preservation. He's had a hobby all his life. Before his retirement, he worked out of town a lot so I was rather used to some alone time after the kids left. Then, there we were stuck with one another 24/7. Not and easy transition :evil: He could see how frustrated I was with nothing to do but (sorry for saying this) but "woman's work". He saved his life an my sanity :twisted:
Old 07-26-2009, 07:45 PM

Besides the satisfaction of time well spent and a way to relieve the stress of a tough week at work...

My kids LOVE to hear me sewing at night. They go to bed so much easier when they know I am in the next room quilting. I remember listening to my mother sewing at night. There is something comforting and reassuring in that sound (especially when snuggled under a quilt).