Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you read The Quilting Board?

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

Why do you read The Quilting Board?

I met a lady who has quilted for 30 years and is in her 70s. I asked her if she ever goes to the quilting board. She said she uses her IPad to play games. I told her to go to thequiltingboard.com and sign up and that she would love it. I explained how many quilters are on the site and what we talk about and the questions we ask and she said it sounded great for beginners.

I've been quilting since 1992 and I have learned more from this board than from anywhere else. I don't feel this place is for beginners only. I think it is to learn, to have friendships, to chit chat, to find out about new products, etc.

Why do you come to this board every day?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Jim
    I too, love this board and have recommended it to many many friends. I've learned many new things from the suggestions of other board members, love the tutorials, and the inspiration and encouragement of others. I've made lots of friends here from all over the world. I love the links and pictures and suggestions of everyone. The moderators do a fantastic job. Also I have found that quilters are the most loving generous and most trusting people on earth.

I don't spend a huge amount of time on the board - am very grateful for being able to put my cursor on a message title to see if it's going to be of interest, which speeds things up a bit! I love it for the vast amount of expertise that members share so generously, the inspiration from all the quilt photos that are posted, and the fact that it's a real community of people from very different places and circumstances, brought together by their common interest.

I come for knowledge, and togetherness. Amazing how people from all over the world can come to one place and encourage, help, cry, laugh and get things done. It's a tool for ideas for me, a place I know I can go to , ask a question whether simple ( or if I feel stupid) and get genuine help. We are all "paying it forward" and I love that. Thanks for having this board.
    Mary

I found this quilting board online when I was trying to find a place to connect and learn from more experienced quilters. Im a homemaker and to keep myself busy I enjoy quilting. I don't know much, so far I just make rag quilts. But I am learning a lot here. From where to find certain fabrics, what sewing machines are good quality, terms that quilters often use, and so much more. I also find inspiration in seeing quilts made by others here on the board. And I have suggested this board to my mother as her and I like to get together and quilt I look forward to becoming one of the "regulars" here and building some new friendships. Everyone here has been more than kind and always very helpful.

Blog Entries
    I come to this board for encouragement, inspiration and the vast amount of knowledge that is so willingly shared. I have learned sooo much from here. No matter what kind of help you need, there are so many willing to guide you step by step. If I need a pattern or anything I can not find Isimply post on the board and it is not long before someone sends a link to the source. You can not get this from a book. Priceless
    Joy

I come because it's a cosy place with lots of people who are willing to help and share.
    You can't learn enough I think...there are always new techniques and tips.
    people show their work which gives inspiration and often something to think about....like using colours you've never used before.
    And I love seeing how people in other countries live and are doing their things...and sometimes laugh about some-one in the middle of nowhere in america having exactly the same ironingboard ( as an example) from Ikea as me.
    greetz, fien
    http://quiltfien.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I visit the QB to look at the pictures. I print off the ones I like and have reproduced a few. I love the camaraderie. Some local gals even invited me to join their monthly get together. I absolutely LOVE this site and recommend it to new grandmothers I meet at work!
    Go forth and sew!

I live 6 miles from my nearest neighbor. I come here for friendship, companionship, knowledge and a laugh. I hope I make new members welcome with a cheerie hello. This is a like minded family and who ever has enough of those?
    Merivale
    Australia.

I come here several times a day, to learn how to improve my quilting, to share in the joys (and trials sometimes) of quilting (and often, that very thing has happened to me in the past, so there in "comfort" in knowing I am not alone) I love the tutorials, and have tried several tips and suggestions that have been posted.

Blog Entries
    I adore this site. You find and make friends all of whom have n affinity towards each other. Distance her is no object and we ar all constantly learning. Quilters give gererously of their time and knowledge . I love the pictures only problem my bucket list is growing too fast. Here you also learn a new language , batting, basting etc. and how to write the date. People also offer excellent advise and if we don't do it no one gets hurt. Quilters, male and female are a bunch of delightful friends. I will keep coming. Maureen.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I visit this site for education; inspiration; encouragement and just plain fun.

As for your friend that's quilted 30 years. I too know someone like that. She thinks she has nothing else to learn about quilting. I respectfully disagree. The day any of us stop learning is a sad day.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Oh I certainly don't think this board is only for beginners but it definitely is welcoming to all wherever you are in your quilting journey. I notice some of the older ladies I quilt with are completely put off by anything having to do with the computer, so, it can be hard to pull some people onto a web site. I can say when I began quilting ten years ago I didn't know much more than how to turn my sewing machine on and boards like this have truly meant everything to me! I am a stay at home Mom so there aren't tons of opportunities for me to get out and learn from others...and to be honest, at some point the information I learned on my own surpassed much of what those I know offline can share with me!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

I wish I had more time to come to the board...but I do come to share what I can, to answer questions if I know the answers, to be inspired by quilts shown. I am hoping soon my son will have time to show me how to upload pictures to the computer...then I can show some of my quilts.

All of the above. The only thing I don't like about it is that I spend way too much time here.

Like many others, I find this sight full of inspiring pictures and stories and lots of helpful tips and information. My quilting will never compare to many here but I love how much I have learned from this site.
    Lori - MamaBear

I like the board because there are so many topics. I not only come for the quilting, but like the recipes and the off topic conversations. There's something for everytine here and it's like a friendly community. This is my favorite site.

I'm new to quilting and just joined the board this past week. It's a great source of how-to's, hints, tips, best tools and materials, etc. for me. I'm also really enjoying the pictures of people's projects (finished and not), and the little stories about problems and victories.

Blog Entries
    I come to get inspiration for my next quilts (my bucket list has about 7,942 quilts on it), info on tips, techniques and tools. An equally important incentive is to put off housework just a few more minutes. Those pots & pans need to soak a bit more!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I agree with all of the above! This site provides inspiration. I have been quilting over 25 years and I think I learn something new everytime I get on here. My husband tells me if I would spend as much time sewing as I do reading this board, I could complete a lot of these UFOs hanging around! LOL!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

I'm nosy and like to see what everybody is doing ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I have been quilting for at least 40 years. I like this board because it allows me to have contact with other quilters without the gossip and politics I didn't like with the two guilds I belonged to. Since the quilters on this board are basically faceless I can interact without worrying about personality conflicts etc. There is no voting for officers or begging for raffle ticket sales etc. The original guild I have belonged to for more than 25 years has gotten carried away with the price of dues and the requirements for selling or purchasing raffle tickets. The last straw for me this year was when they gave us a number when we arrived at the Christmas party and basically made it a mixer. I had to sit at a table with 7 woman I knew nothing about and wasn't even sure if they were members. I liked the personalities and the less intense air at the other guild I also belonged to for almost twenty years. They are almost an hour drive for me in rush hour traffic in the Baltimore metro area. I am 62 and have some permanent health issues so that drive is something I am getting unable to face.
    I can visit this board 24/7 and get my quilt fix.

i can ask any question without feeling stupid --i learn so much that helps me enjoy+improve my chosen hobby-i feel empathy from like minded people and yes i am nosey too love to see what others are doing --eye candy

Blog Entries
    I have only been quilting since 2007 and this is where I have learned the most. I spend time here in the morning rather than reading a newspaper. I am in awe of where we all come from around the world, that we are young and old. Some have more busy lives and still manage to quilt. I love seeing the efforts and creativity shown here and appreciate the feedback when I post a question or share a finished quilt. I even met 4 quilters here that live near me and now we meet occasionally to quilt and are working on our own row robin.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast