Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you sew or quilt? >

Why do you sew or quilt?

Why do you sew or quilt?

Old 06-29-2014, 06:56 PM

I like to make quilts because its my creative outlet and its just fun!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:02 PM

I love this question and all of the responses. I have sewed since I was six or so. I made doll clothes for dolls I never played with; the my mother let me have some feed sack material and I made skirts and aprons, then dresses . I made my clothes most of my life. I still make most of them except jeans and t-shirts. However during the Stretch and Sew era I made my kids clothes, things for my husband and lingerie. I an a Home Economics graduate and taught for several years. I have done custom dressmaking, made a number of wedding gowns. Then, I fabricated draperies and other home decor stuff for a small business I started. Then came quilting and just fun sewing. Why do I sew? I love to do it, can be creative in a medium I understand. I love the process and the product. Can't quit-it is just a part of who I am.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:06 PM

I am pretty much a self taught quilter. I do it because it is soothing for me, and because I can take it with me when I go somewhere. It's really funny, because I can't draw a straight line without a ruler, but I can do a 1/4 seam just by eyeballing it. I am not artistic in any other way, but every quilt I have ever done has turned out much better that it was in my imagination.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:02 PM

I started sewing about 13 years old. If I wanted new clothes I had to make them myself. I started quilting about 1999 and have not stopped! Love it and have accumulated about 14 quilts that are stored on top of a bed. I've made bags for them and put labels on the straps so it's easy to find the one I want.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I sew and do other crafts because I like to keep busy and have to do something to keep from going crazy from my DH's requests that I sit and watch tv with him. TV is just background noise for me
Old 06-30-2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by nanac View Post
I am pretty much a self taught quilter. I do it because it is soothing for me, and because I can take it with me when I go somewhere. It's really funny, because I can't draw a straight line without a ruler, but I can do a 1/4 seam just by eyeballing it. I am not artistic in any other way, but every quilt I have ever done has turned out much better that it was in my imagination.
We must be related!
Funny thing, though, I was trying to graph an idea the other day, and, even with a ruler, I drew a crooked line! I have requested EQ7 for Christmas--hoping that will help!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:21 PM

There is this NEED to create! It strange, but I have this feeling come over me that I need to MAKE something! It's strange and it's hard to explain to people who are not creative that there is a drive to create something. I am trying to get back into garment sewing,but like you have some issues with fit. I have bought some Craftsy sewing classes to get myself back into the garment sewing groove. It is nice that when you sew something, you have something to show what you have accomplished at the end of the day.